What Is The Difference Between Textile & Mesh

i_needit

Textile is a solid material with much greater tear resistance than mesh. It is compatable to leather in tear resistance. Normally water tight, very long wearing. Gives top protection for rider. Not quite up to full leathers but much more useful. Hot even with all vents open.

in summer it is too hot to use.

Mesh-Coolest jacket around. gives protection while maintaining ventilation. Much better than non motorcycle jackets. I wear mine every time I ride. Not weather proof, but much more comfortable while riding in the heat.

joe

• Member Contributer
Textile is a solid material with much greater tear resistance than mesh. It is compatable to leather in tear resistance. Normally water tight, very long wearing. Gives top protection for rider. Not quite up to full leathers but much more useful. Hot even with all vents open.

in summer it is too hot to use.

Mesh-Coolest jacket around. gives protection while maintaining ventilation. Much better than non motorcycle jackets. I wear mine every time I ride. Not weather proof, but much more comfortable while riding in the heat.

joe

More accurately textile is fabric woven from natural or artificial fibers. The abrasion resistance of textile depends on what fibers it is made of. Denim and silk are textile and not very abrasion resistant. Mesh is a type of textile with an open weave to allow cooling air to flow through and I think it is not neccesarily any less abrasion resistant than a tight weave garment made of the same fibers.

I doubt textile mesh has any abbrasion resistance at all. Asphalt will cut right through it.

If you get yourself some mesh gear, make sure the area's that are most likely to get into contact with the asphalt when you go down (elbows,shoulder,knee,back,hips..) is made of regular tightly woven textile or (preferably) patched with leather.

Also remember that gear (textile or leather) should be designed that after a getoff, you slide to a halt, not tumble to a halt. Leather doing the best job here as it has a smooth closed surface and good abrasion resistance. You can't slide waering a textile mesh suit.

Here are some close ups to give you an idea.

Textile

IMG_2324.jpg

Mesh

IMG_2321.jpg

I have been down in my mesh jacket before. Slow speed (30mph) on a gravel road. It held up very well with no scrapes or cuts to myself, however it does have a leather upper (shoulders, arms) on it. So I can't say anything bad about it, as it saved my skin, but I will say that when I go to buy new gear I will be getting some more leathers, longer life and easier to keep clean.

• Member Contributer

Tight-weave Cordura is considered one of the best textiles out there right now........ :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer
Here's what happens to mesh when you hit the pavement:

Just so you know.

You might sweat a little more in perf'd leather, but your skin'll be much safer... :thumbsup:

:warranty:

I had a mild 30mph lowside and did a short tumble and slide on the pavement for a few feet before hitting the dirt. My mesh jacket wore through the mesh, the armor, and my arm. Textile pants did a little better, but not a whole lot.

From then on I have worn only leather and have had no more road rash despite numerous attempts.

• Member Contributer

I crashed pretty hard in a Hein Gericke textile jacket, it worked. The problem I have with leather is in the rain, I rode along the coast, cape hatteras, NC and would be sunny with 3 minimum downpours a day, I used 2 jackets , they dry out quicker and carry more gear/pockets, plus seem roomier, sure I know leather is best but it just isnt practical for me riding xc thru much bad weather, plus I am like a 3xl and the leather mc gear is made for tiny people, kids like all the motogp riders, I am 6'4" 250#s, havent found a leather jacket that even fit me so I must compromise, if you are smaller, get some perf leather gear from alpinestars, alpinestars to me just seems to be the best quality for your dollar, thanks Doug

I'm just wondering what is the difference & what are the pros/cons of each material.

airflow... did anyone say that yet? :P

Guest ScottP
I crashed pretty hard in a Hein Gericke textile jacket, it worked. The problem I have with leather is in the rain, I rode along the coast, cape hatteras, NC and would be sunny with 3 minimum downpours a day, I used 2 jackets , they dry out quicker and carry more gear/pockets, plus seem roomier, sure I know leather is best but it just isnt practical for me riding xc thru much bad weather

I agree. I have leathers for the track, but they just aren't practical for the street. Too hot on a hot day, too cold on a cold day, not waterproof, and hard to get in and out of (meaning I can't wear it for my commute to work). I normally do 350-400 miles days on the weekends so comfort is a big factor. Protective gear doesn't do any good when it's hanging on the rack at home because it's too uncomfortable to wear. I've had an Aerostich Roadcrafter for the street for almost 15 years. It's not as protective as leather, but it's pretty darned good (yes, I've tested it). It has armor, it's waterproof, it's reasonably vented, lots of pockets, and it comes on and off in seconds.

Be aware their are some big differences in textile gear. A neighbor has a Joe Rocket jacket that doesn't look any more protective than a nylon rain coat - the material is too thin to hold up to pavement. I've been thinking about a new pair of pants for the street and the kevlar stuff from Motoport looks like a good bet. It's not waterproof without a liner though, and putting on a liner seems like a real pain in the arse. They have mesh version but I'm skeptical about how protective they'd be. Their straight kevlar stuff would probably hold up well in a crash.

• Member Contributer

I have been wearing the same leather/textile mix jacket and pant combo almost daily for about 5 years. I have a 7 mile commute and then throw in some 200 - 300 mile days in between. My set is from First Gear and is well vented. The jacket has long forearm vents, bicep vents, long torso vents, and one vent across the shoulder area. It isn't cool but it is tolerable on 90 degree days. Close up the vents, add the fulll sleeved liner and wrap the attached dickie around your neck and it is warm down to about 45 degrees for long durations. The pants have a loose weave fabric on the back of the knees but I wouldn't call it a mesh. They also have leather + padding in the knees and hips with a waste zipper to attach to the jacket. The lower calf area has zippers that allow removal of pants without removal of you footwear. I usually just wear shorts underneath. The only change that has happened with constant use is that it isn't as water resistant anymore. Scrubbing it once per year with a soapy scrub brush probably didn't help with that issue. I have never wished for more than what this set has to offer. I trust it WAY more than mesh and I think it is more useful on a daily basis that full leathers. However I would advise leathers for track day type riding.

• Member Contributer

Well as soon as my wife is done fiddeling around I think I will have her take my measurements and I think I might just order from Motorport. Kinda sounds like what I'm looking for.

• Member Contributer

If it's not too late, always remember www.newenough.com. While I love my gear, I foolishly paid MSRP at the local dealership for mine. However, I got my wife completely outfitted with textile jacket/pants/gloves from newenough's closeouts for $140 including shipping for Mother's Day this year. Her only complaint, the gloves are too hot.

• Member Contributer

I still have yet to order, but I'm still motivated to get the motorport paints, I just need to take the wife to the mall saturday to even things out(LOL). I have been doing some reserch and they seem like there worth the money.

Archived