Hid installation

Guest AzizaVFR

• Member Contributer
Hopefully, I'll have a full write up on a retrofit for a 2002-2004 VFR to full HID, complete with pictures.

Looking forward to reading this one.

• 1 year later...
Guest DavesInterceptor

I don't know about the HID set up. I have HID on my Acura TL and in all honesty, I wouldn't recommend it for motorcycles. HID is very flat, thus does not get soaked up by bumps in the road, and are terrible in foul weather. So, I upgraded my VFR800 bulbs to Sylvania Silverstars--about $40 for the set of two. Cheaper, whiter light, that is a huge improvement for night time driving. That's my two cents worth.

• 7 months later...
Guest AzizaVFR

The H4 kits you see out there are not a true dual element HID set. It has a HID bulb and ballast for low beam, while a second halogen is put in the same general location as the high beam filament would be in a normal H4 bulb. There is NO way the halogen portion will be anywhere near as bright as the low.

For those who got to see my bike on the last Saturday gathering VFR in San Diego, I was able to show what is possible. I have now had the quad photo cannons on the VFR for over three years and I have not been questioned once about my lights. I even had a CHP motorofficer wanting to know how he could get his lights to be as bright. One of the local sheriffs followed us while soapboxing from the top of Palomar Mountain to Valley Center and complimented on the five bikes that were running the HID's. it also helped that he rides a 2000 VFR.

If interested, I can take some pictures to show my installation and post them here.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ex TZ tuner

Prior to a trip to Prince Rupert, BC over the 4th, I installed a drop-in kit from XenonPros. They swapped a 5000k bulb for a 3000k bulb (one of each-actually the same bulb with a coating) in their Hi & Lo beam H4 kit. My last trip up north, I was dodging moose, black bear, deer, and one rabbit. The bulbs are actually one intensity with a motor driven shield covering some of the output for the low beam. I am extreamly satisified with the performance of this conversion. Hitting anything with it's own mind at anything over 40 vs bulb/whole system replacement down the line wasn't even a consideration. The installation took about an hour due to wire routing and component attachment inside the fairing of my '79 VFR.

One question: Are those speed limit signs in km or mi? :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

I too have the silver stars on my 02. Very good product. Just make sure you buy the MOTORCYCLE lamp and not the one for the cars. The cycle lamp has a much heavier filiment due to lamps running all the time. If you get the car lamps you will be replacing them too often as they only last about three months. But, these will give you about 40% more light/vision than the standard lamps... much whiter light!

Kevin

• Member Contributer
The H4 kits you see out there are not a true dual element HID set. It has a HID bulb and ballast for low beam, while a second halogen is put in the same general location as the high beam filament would be in a normal H4 bulb. There is NO way the halogen portion will be anywhere near as bright as the low.

For those who got to see my bike on the last Saturday gathering VFR in San Diego, I was able to show what is possible. I have now had the quad photo cannons on the VFR for over three years and I have not been questioned once about my lights. I even had a CHP motorofficer wanting to know how he could get his lights to be as bright. One of the local sheriffs followed us while soapboxing from the top of Palomar Mountain to Valley Center and complimented on the five bikes that were running the HID's. it also helped that he rides a 2000 VFR.

If interested, I can take some pictures to show my installation and post them here.

Please post some pictures!!

<font color='#000000'>i was going to install HID in my 2000 VFR but I would have lost my highbeams and didn't want the hassle at inspection time. ?I could have done the one-eyed CBR set up but I think that looks silly.</font>

i was also thinking about installing them on my 2000 vfr but without installing the projectors they are just way to brite, i had them installed on my SUZUKI and I was blinding everybody in front of me and also oncoming traffic.i was always worried about pissing off some nut in a cage who might do something real dumb.