Givi V35 Sidecases

NVR2L8

• Member Contributer

After reading a few recent posts about Givi sidecases, I decided it's time to stop procrastinating and just buy a set so I can haul stuff when I tour this summer. I got on the Twisted Throttle website, and noticed that Givi has a new sidecase called the V35. As you can see, these are molded so they hug the bike, and don't stick out as much as the other kits from Givi. The cases won't mount on other Givi hardware though, so you have to also buy the sidecase mounting hardware. One good feature is that the new mounting system does not use the grab handle bolts, so if you're like me you can still use these sidecases if you already have a topcase mounted on "Over-The-Seat" brackets or a SW-Motech toprack mounting system (FYI...I haven't ordered these sidecases yet, but had Givi email me the mounting instructions which I can forward to anyone who is interested).

PS: As of right now these are only available for a handful of bikes, and only for the 6th Gen (2002 and newer).

Jeff

Givi_1.jpg

Givi_2.jpg

I bought these back in November. Look good and serve there purpose well for me. No complains. They don't set as close to the bike as the picture above shows, but they aren't bad. Heres a couple of shots of the matte black ones.

DSC00025-1.jpg

Wow! Those look nice. Aren't they a lot like the OEM cases in form? I remember reading something about GIVI making the OEM cases, could they be the same thing?

• Member Contributer

Those look great! What is the list price on them (without the mounting hardware)?

Did the indicate that there would be additional models applications in the future?

Keith

• Member Contributer
Those look great! What is the list price on them (without the mounting hardware)?

Did the indicate that there would be additional models applications in the future?

Keith

The sidecases are $467.10 for the pair. That's for the Matte Black version though, and Satin Silver adds an additional $36.90, Gloss Black $55.53, and Gloss Silver $72.90. The mounting hardware is $153.00 Not cheap for the entire setup, but I have a V46 topcase and from my experience I think Givi stuff is top notch.

The guy I talked to didn't know if/when Givi would offer mounting hardware for other models. He did mention that SW-Motech was working on their version to work with the new PLX sidecases, but estimated it would be late summer before they would be available.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the pricing info. :thumbsup: Great looking product.

If anyone near Atlanta has these I would like to meet for a ride somewhere and see how difficult they might be adapted (with custom brackets) to a 5th gen or if they even look right the body lines of the fat arse on the 5th gen. wink.gif

Wow! Those look nice. Aren't they a lot like the OEM cases in form? I remember reading something about GIVI making the OEM cases, could they be the same thing?

Yup, they are very similar to the OEM cases in shape. The OEM cases fit closer to the bike than the V35s, but the GIVIs are a whole lot cheaper!

And yes, the OEM hard cases are made by GIVI.

• Member Contributer

Do the OEM sidecase brackets use the grab handle mounting bolts? Just curious on the differences in how the OEM and Givi V35 sidecases mount, and whether or not OEM sidecases can be used with the over-the-seat brackets.

Do the OEM sidecase brackets use the grab handle mounting bolts? Just curious on the differences in how the OEM and Givi V35 sidecases mount, and whether or not OEM sidecases can be used with the over-the-seat brackets.

The OEM sidecase brackets bolt down to the passenger grab handle mounts.

• 6 months later...
  • Member Contributer
I bought these back in November. Look good and serve there purpose well for me. No complains. They don't set as close to the bike as the picture above shows, but they aren't bad. Heres a couple of shots of the matte black ones.

DSC00025-1.jpg

Has anyone else purchased these Givi V35 sidecases w/PLX166 mounts? I'm all set to buy them but after looking at this picture they seem to sit WAY far out from the bike. I'm not really diggin' that. Anyone else have input on this before I drop back and punt (I mean, get the Honda OEM ones $$$chachink)?

Thanks ya'll! :warranty:

Anyone have any experiences with the V35's opening up on them? I've had mine for a month, and TWICE had the left bag open up after hitting hard bumps. The lock mechanism feels solid and secure, and i've had the V46 topbox which was fine as well. I'm not sure if maybe im just not latching them "all the way"?? I love the looks and the utility of the V35's...but now im just a tad nervous about using them without a little clip for insurance. Aside from that, the bags are great. Easy to install and I think they look great.

• Member Contributer
Anyone have any experiences with the V35's opening up on them? I've had mine for a month, and TWICE had the left bag open up after hitting hard bumps. The lock mechanism feels solid and secure, and i've had the V46 topbox which was fine as well. I'm not sure if maybe im just not latching them "all the way"?? I love the looks and the utility of the V35's...but now im just a tad nervous about using them without a little clip for insurance. Aside from that, the bags are great. Easy to install and I think they look great.

do your V35's stick out as far as the ones pictured above? what color did you get for your white vfr? Any pics? thanks!!

I think the V35's LOOK like they stick way out in the pictures. In person, they arent bad at all. I installed them and love them. Had the same reservations you do due to the pictures.....but when i installed them i was thrilled smile.gif

I stuck w/ the matte black. They look FAR better on the white bike because they blend in WAY better. They almost dissapear in the side profile, and the rearview is better because it blends w/ the shadows under the tail and the tire. I think havent a color on there would make em stick out more. I'll send pictures on wednesday smile.gif It's my only day off!

• Member Contributer
I stuck w/ the matte black. They look FAR better on the white bike because they blend in WAY better. They almost dissapear in the side profile, and the rearview is better because it blends w/ the shadows under the tail and the tire. I think havent a color on there would make em stick out more. I'll send pictures on wednesday smile.gif It's my only day off!

Excellent - thanks for the feedback! I have a Pearl Black '06 and have been going back and forth over whether or not to get a satin-silver finish piece to accent the silver parts of the bike. BUT, I love the all black look of the bike above with the black cases - it has black wheels tho where mine are silver(ish). Gaaaargh!! How can something so simple be so dern complicated! :warranty:

That rack system sure looks better than the Wingrack on a '96 VFR. That's why I have the single topcase rack too, so most of the year I run with only one bag as a top case (I have two E360's in Silver to match the bike). When I go tour, I switch racks, and put my bags on the sides. That leaves a nice open plate (where a third bag would go on the Wingrack) for strapping any other stuff I may want to carry (or pick up enroute).

Any idea how much larger/smaller those bags are vs. the E360's?

I think the V35's LOOK like they stick way out in the pictures. In person, they arent bad at all. I installed them and love them. Had the same reservations you do due to the pictures.....but when i installed them i was thrilled smile.gif

+1.gif I actually bought the ones off of the Asphalt bike (tinyminds) in the pics above. I bought them because the oem bags dont fit with micron pipes and these were also A LOT cheaper than the oem ones. They dont look bad at all on my bike and the big micron cans really fill in the gaps between the bags and bike. Also if you get the GIVI trunk mount it helps fill in the gap as well. Without the trunk mount there is a large space between the bracket and the bike. I also just put the silver panels on the cases and they match wonderfully.

• 2 months later...

Has anybody had experience painting the Givi bags? I have been thinking about asking for hard luggage for Christmas. I like the OEM bags, but they are a little pricey. They have also discontinued the top box for my bike. For the price of the OEM side bags alone I can get Givi V35's and a topbox. The trouble is that I would like the bags to match my bike. So I have been playing with the idea of getting them painted or perhaps painting them myself.

• 2 weeks later...

I SEE THAT YOU ARE RUNNING STAINTUNES.....I HAVE BEEN WONDERING WHETHER OR NOT THE V-35'S WILL WORK WITH THE STAINTUNES BUT THEY SEEM TO WORK JUST FINE HUH? I MIGHT JUST HAVE TO GET THOSE....MY ONLY RESERVATION IS THAT I WONT BE ABLE TO GET RED ONES FOR MY 2005.......DO YOU THINK BLACK WILL LOOK GOOFY?

Has anybody had experience painting the Givi bags? I have been thinking about asking for hard luggage for Christmas. I like the OEM bags, but they are a little pricey. They have also discontinued the top box for my bike. For the price of the OEM side bags alone I can get Givi V35's and a topbox. The trouble is that I would like the bags to match my bike. So I have been playing with the idea of getting them painted or perhaps painting them myself.

Hey, if you want a really nice x-mas gift, go to davidsilverspares.com, you can get all three oem 2005 red bags, with mounting hardware, for the dealer price of just the side bags and cases here. Dunno how many sets they have left. You can get just the side bags too, don't know what shipping is to Canada from England, but I got my 05 red cases shipped in 4 days to NY for $430. :beer:

• Member Contributer
That rack system sure looks better than the Wingrack on a '96 VFR. That's why I have the single topcase rack too, so most of the year I run with only one bag as a top case (I have two E360's in Silver to match the bike). When I go tour, I switch racks, and put my bags on the sides. That leaves a nice open plate (where a third bag would go on the Wingrack) for strapping any other stuff I may want to carry (or pick up enroute).

Any idea how much larger/smaller those bags are vs. the E360's?

The number usually refers to the metric volume so the V35 would indicate a 35 liter capacity as opposed to the 36 liter for the E360.

• 1 month later...

I'm painting mine (as well as my E370 trunk and bike) right now. The covers come off very easily.

I'm going to mod my mounts to fit a bit tighter to the bike. Due to the way they mount it'll be quite easy. I'll post pics when done.

Wesley J

• 1 month later...

Archived