Hello again from the Great North-Wet

keithbob

• Member Contributer

Hi all-

I belonged to VFRD for many years - some of you may remember me and my yellow 5th-gen.  I live out in Newport, Oregon and we hosted one of the early Pac-West meets out here in 2006.  The yellow VFR was sold several years back when I got into the GS thing, but recently a red 98 5th-gen has found it's way back into my garage, so it's "Hello again" to VFRD.

The bike is complete but has sat for quite awhile.  I'll clean it up and ride it, but will likely be selling it come closer to summer.  Keep that in mind if you're looking for a 5th-gen with everything present and functioning.  I fired it up this afternoon and it seems in good running order.  Now comes the teardown and thorough sorting through.  It has 50K miles and has sat in the garage for years.  It has some coastal corrosion, not too bad, but it's all there and working.  The cool thing is I have known the guy for a long, long time and we used to ride our VFRs together locally years ago.  He was at the 2006 meet here, so some of you met him, and that bike, when we all had the bikes hosted at the Rogue Brewery that night.

When I fired it up this afternoon there was a pretty foul smell that rose up, I wonder if I should have looked in the airbox first...  

Questions for the crowd - are VFRnesses still available?  It may have some grounding issues, no news there, and I'll sort that out.  I think that's about all it really needs besides the usual VFR TLC.  I'll also install a voltmeter while I'm at it.  Other than that I'm going to leave it stock.  There are almost no mods on this bike.

Anyway, I'm back, and it would be fun to know if any of you still hang out on here after all these years away.  As always, moto-travelers always have a spare bed here on the Oregon Coast.

All the best-

Keithbob

• Member Contributer

Welcome back keithbob, but COME ON!!!!!!!

NO PICTURE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! :goofy:

Joshua is still "in business" afaik

www.wiremybike.com

• Member Contributer

Welcome back to the asylum KB from The Land Of Low Weather Expectations. As Dutchy says, we need a picture to determine whether or not you are a figmentation of our imaginations. I hope we can ride together some day. 

• Member Contributer
On 2/13/2018 at 8:23 AM, Dutchy said:

Welcome back keithbob, but COME ON!!!!!!!

NO PICTURE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! :goofy:

Okay - here's a photo of my wife, Jalene, and I with the Y2K we had waaaaay back when - I think this was taken in 2006 by Loni whose VFRD avatar I can't even remember.

Next photo is of Jalene on her bike down in Argentina, not far out of Bariloche.  That was in 2016, when we were on our way down to Tierra del Fuego.  We quit our jobs in 2015, packed up the house and rented it out, and lived on the bikes for two years.  We got back in July of 2017.  The third picture is me a little further south, in Chile along a section of the Carreterra Austral.  Now we're back in Oregon, assimilating back into North American life (what the hell?) and trying not to just bolt for the border again.

The story and lots of photos can be found on our website:  www.southonabike.com

If any of you are considering chucking it and taking a loooong trip, and want any information, start there first.  It's amazing, and I can tell you how to do it -  just up and quit and take off for a couple of years.  Life changes, yes, but that's the whole point, now isn't it?

I washed off the "new" VFR in the rain this morning in preparation for plastic removal - it really cleaned up well with soap and water, and I'm more optimistic about what shape I'll find things in.  Oil & filter change, new hoses, thermostat & coolant, air filter to begin with.  Valve check (I doubt I'll need any shims), plugs, rebuild the forks.  Steering head bearings check okay, tires are good.

Things things are like Civics, just feed 'em and ride 'em.  My Y2K needed 2 shims at 20,000 miles and when I checked them next at 70K everything was still in spec.  Gotta love Hondas.  We traveled on BMW F650s, and they were pretty bulletproof, but they still were not are worry-free as a VFR.  Once a VFR is sorted, it's rock solid.

IMG_0238.thumb.JPG.ee4030686ed0f05ef03ac9a9a1343452.JPG

DSC03954.thumb.JPG.f47c759e87ddc5164e3c354ff423049a.JPG
DSC04296.thumb.JPG.4015884ca83fa92909715f94749f4636.JPG

• Member Contributer

:goofy: "bolt for the border" :goofy:

Yeah, nothing lasts forever so live life to the fullest!

Made redundant in 2016, have not been bored a single day yet.... (but one day will secure another job....).

WP_20160812_13_07_47_Pro_zpspvf4i6nu.thumb.jpg.bee1133e56ce73278d7155d88b5cecaa.jpg

0.thumb.jpg.d767c14e0827e07f3a18872539c6450b.jpg.49b6fd99ce0b96c4056ad8bd33d13465.jpg

Archived