RC30 Arai, who's gonna buy it?

jhenley17

I almost want to scrounge up the money for an RC30 just to get this to match it. Hell, I'd still wear it on my RC79 if I were to spend over $500 on a lid.

1ef28d767e7335c8eee892c0e37313f9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

You'd have to scrounge up quite a bit of cash. One RC30 just sold at an auction for $92K a couple of weeks ago! It is a nice looking helmet though.

Last month, I sent that link to one of our members who has an RC30 thinking he might have an interest. He replied back within the hour with a picture of the helmet in his hands.

If I had the bike, I'd have the helmet.

• Member Contributer

It's a nice looking helmet design--RC30 or not.  But, £830?  I'd say "wtf"... but then I noticed that the plain white and black RX-7V helmets are £670!  Bloody hell, what has happened to helmet prices?  

Ciao,

Yeah, I like it on its own, and I love Arai, but they're getting a little too rich for me. My RX-Q was around $400 in 2010 and that's about as high as I see extra money being worth it. It's insane, some of the Arais and AGVs well over $1k. I think some are even over $2k, but I just scroll on past if I see four digits, so I dunno.

Anyways, yeah, great design. This is the only manufacturer branded helmet I've seen that I'd wear.

• Member Contributer

While some may justly argue that my head was messed up to begin with,

I'm glad I wore a (perceived) top quality helmet at the time...

IMAG5007.thumb.jpg.07d4e33cefd31dd337d2c3123fc33211.jpg

Sure, there are many other factors in play, including fashion....

IMAG5679.thumb.jpg.da5953a42fa151b5d86d5e124aa2f495.jpg

:goofy:

I'll never wear a bargain basement helmet, but I think at some point, you're paying for prestige, features, lighter materials, and aerodynamics. My favorite (and most expensive) helmet was an Arai RX-Q, and my next will be a $500-$600 Arai or midrange Bell, but I don't think I'm any less safe in my current $250 AGV.2a58c9c8c168f77504df289d372c8c5c.jpg

• Member Contributer

My shock was more about helmet prices in general.  I guess it's been a while since I bought my Chris Walker-replica Arai Quantum...

Ciao,

1 hour ago, JZH said:

My shock was more about helmet prices in general.  I guess it's been a while since I bought my Chris Walker-replica Arai Quantum...

Ciao,

I'm with you on that!  My last two have come from closeout sales.  My RF1200 was about $450.  Had to sell myself on the cost per year.

• Member Contributer

Not sure on exchange rates ATM but I just bought a CF helmet, for £260. fits well, double visor, looks good ... to be honest JZH posted the RC-30 lid was $830 and the plain one was $670 !

a hundred and sixty bucks extra for a few stickers... NAH !

• Member Contributer

Once went black

HPIM4382.thumb.JPG.690eda7849d99d94ee0f214cba5412f1.JPG

didnot go back....

Instead went down under

IMG_2590.thumb.JPG.f7026e435f18f59a3c809fda113ee13b.JPG

HPIM4505.thumb.JPG.954f270b5f3d3dead3d7c59dbf8fda5b.JPG

To be honest, I never "ride without"...

HPIM2159.thumb.JPG.ed4dfba2486506959a3387a7a6cfa2c1.JPG

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Dutchy said:

Chris "stalker" Walker, now there is a name from the past..... :goofy:

he has the Kawasaki dealership in the town where I live see him wandering around and all his second hand bikes are in beautiful condition, nice showroom and cafe if anyone is any near Grantham

• Member Contributer

FYI, the Arai RC30 helmet is available until Sunday, 18 February 2018 only at Demon Tweeks in the UK for the bargain price of...£746.99 (all-in), using the code "HELMET10".  That is pretty much the cheapest anywhere I've found outside of the US and Japan.  It sure is purty, but personally I'd rather have 1/5 of another bike!

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

According to:  http://www.crash.org.au/ratings.php

The HJC FG-17 helmet (approx. $160 USD) tests exactly the same as most Shoeis and one star better than Arai, in 2016 data no Arai shows up with more than a 3 star crash test, HJC has a number of 4 star helmets.

Snell is Snell I guess, it appears the mojo is in the name and the look,

I still want that VFR Helmet, I just want it for $160.00

• Member Contributer

There are testing procedures and there is real life.

Trick is to find one that fits your needs...

I really don't like Snell. Their procedure requiring two drops on the same spot seems pointless to me and makes the helmet unnecessarily hard. Instead of allowing more compression of the EPS from the initial hit, it has to be able to withstand a second hit, which is something I think will rarely, if ever, occur. I guess laboratory testing is necessary to provide some level of standardized performance, but it's laboratory testing in a controlled environment. It also forces helmet makers to design their helmets to meet their requirements, which can be good in some cases, bad in others.

OTOH, it's impossible to compare real world crashes. There are a million factors besides just speed that can affect injury, the same way I can lowside at 60 off the side of a hill, pick my bike up, and limp it home and later destroy that same bike in a 20-MPH lowside on flat ground.

• Member Contributer
15 hours ago, bykemike said:

According to:  http://www.crash.org.au/ratings.php

The HJC FG-17 helmet (approx. $160 USD) tests exactly the same as most Shoeis and one star better than Arai, in 2016 data no Arai shows up with more than a 3 star crash test, HJC has a number of 4 star helmets.

There's also the UK's SHARP ratings, which appear to rate the HJC FG-17 one star worse than the Arai RX-7V... :blush:

Everyone seems to be getting into the helmet safety rating game?

Anyway, if you want an RC30 replica helmet, you don't have a lot of choices!  Buy what Arai sells, or have another helmet custom-painted to look like it.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Bought the ARAI HRC first.

So I just HAD to buy the accompanying bike.... :goofy:

5a896d24cb4cf_IMG-20170205-WA0000(2).jpg.da68e9126c8041ee4b80339d4de19532.jpg

Archived