Is VFRness recommended on 2008 models?

BassNotBass

Hi VFRees,

I will soon come in to possession of a 2008 VFR.

I've been reading through a lot of the threads on here about the electrical issues.

Can anybody clarify whether the models after the 2002-2005 recall (2006-2009) still require a  VFRness to achieve a more reliable electrical system?

If not, are there any other recommended mods to the electrical system for the 2008? I plan to install a fuse block for an accessory circuit including a volt meter. 

I would definitely do the common ground connector fix on the front subharness. On post 2005 models it's the orange connector in the plastic hoody cover where the big blue and grey connectors are. If you remove the left side fairing panel you'll see them just near the forward edge of the radiator. The green ground wire going through the blue connector can also be future proofed by splicing and bypassing the connector and reinforcing to the chassis. Reinforce the common ground bus cluster of green ground wires to the chassis when eliminating that crappy orange connector and solder the lot together (or solder them into the metal male/female grid that's left when removing the orange plastic holder) by running an extra wire to the chassis. Then some would eliminate the Stator to R/R connector (3 yellow wires along top edge of right side radiator) by replacing it with a quality ceramic connector or directly splicing is a good idea.

I believe I have a thread called BYC Kentucky fried connector or to the effect. There's another thread titled Eureka or Eurethra which focuses on the same common ground bus connector but on the 5th gen. There's a link in there to my thread. Then there's also a thread titled "The Drill".

Same crappy Honda wiring I'm afraid.

Dodgy wiring around the battery area as well if you're anal.

If all that fails, VFRness might help.

Okay thank you, Auspanglish. I may have to come back with more questions once I have hands on the bike. I'm really not good with electrical, but for now it makes sense.

In case anybody is coming in this thread through google searches themselves, here are the thread links being referred to:

Archived