Swapped Sprint 1050 for VFR

Stevewils

Hi All,

Love the forum, so much info to share can't think what we did without 'em!

So I finally did it and traded in my 2008 Triumph Sprint 1050 for a 2015 VFR 800. I was a little unsure at first but having had the bike for two weeks now it certainly is smiles all round, I should have done it years ago. The VFR is everything that the Triumph is not, characterful, small & nimble, decent suspension, and of course well built (sorry Triumph!). The only thing it lacks over the Sprint is power. That 280cc loss certainly makes a difference, but when you wind the throttle above 7,000rpm all is forgotten, that noise is soooooo addictive.

The bike came with quickshifter and Akropovic can. Since buying I have removed the exhaust baffle, which makes the sound even more addictive, fitted R&G crash bungs, fender extender, SW Motech rack (looks much better than the Givi one) and a Give top box.

Plans for the future include changing the gearing. I will start with -1 on the front and see how it goes before moving to the rear. I don't want to lose the gear indicator or quickshifter, so will need a bit of investigating before I commit to anything too extensive. I have raised the seat height so might consider a taller screen, at the moment the stock seems fine and as a replacement is not far off £100 I'm not sure it is worth it just for cosmetic reasons. Oh and some new boots eventually.

Will keep you posted on future developments.

Steve.

• Member Contributer

How very dare you.. :goofy:.

I am the other way, I have a Sprint GT and a 2002 Vtec and my weapon of choice is still the Sprint but I commute most days on the VFR. I love my Viffer as you say it is nimble and agile but the Sprint comes into it's own when you get into 200 Mile + journeys (I do these regularly)

As for build quality. maybe I got "the Friday Bike" but I have far more problems with the Honda than I have the Triumph (40k miles without a hitch)  so I reserve my judgement until it has hit a similar mileage. Lots of corrosion on the alloy bits and a replacement engine after the cam chain sliders failed.

Now I have higher and modified bars it's a lot better (50+ yo back doesn't wanna be bent over the tank) so my commute is now a lot more comfy and when it gets a bit drier I'll give it a bit of a thrashing. I love the way it falls into corners and cruises in and out of the Vtec but still am addicted to that triple howl and grunt of the 1050 lump (pick a gear any gear, it'll go). Going up and down the gears to get the best is fun in the dry but a pain on a commute.  I should get a full summer out of the Vtec so lets see how it goes.

P.S. I am just down the Road from you in Bucklebury..

1 hour ago, Woodie said:

How very dare you.. :goofy:.

I am the other way, I have a Sprint GT and a 2002 Vtec and my weapon of choice is still the Sprint but I commute most days on the VFR. I love my Viffer as you say it is nimble and agile but the Sprint comes into it's own when you get into 200 Mile + journeys (I do these regularly)

As for build quality. maybe I got "the Friday Bike" but I have far more problems with the Honda than I have the Triumph (40k miles without a hitch)  so I reserve my judgement until it has hit a similar mileage. Lots of corrosion on the alloy bits and a replacement engine after the cam chain sliders failed.

Now I have higher and modified bars it's a lot better (50+ yo back doesn't wanna be bent over the tank) so my commute is now a lot more comfy and when it gets a bit drier I'll give it a bit of a thrashing. I love the way it falls into corners and cruises in and out of the Vtec but still am addicted to that triple howl and grunt of the 1050 lump (pick a gear any gear, it'll go). Going up and down the gears to get the best is fun in the dry but a pain on a commute.  I should get a full summer out of the Vtec so lets see how it goes.

P.S. I am just down the Road from you in Bucklebury..

This is what I have done in the last 12 months on the Trumpet,

- Rear hub and concentric adjuster seized so completely stripped it all down.

- New regulator/rectifier.

- New wiring loom (old R/R had burnt through it!)

- Refurbished rear shock.

- Starter switch, kill switch, side stand switch all replaced.

I am also 50+ and have put bar risers on my S1000RR but the Viffer seems fine for now, but never done any journeys longer than about 100 miles (unless it's in a car to a track day!)

Yes, just just down the road in Burghfield. Not sure if you know about TVAM but a great club and worth getting involved in.

https://www.tvam.org/

4 hours ago, HareBrain said:

Hi Steve, do you have a pic of it on the VFR? The Motech site only shows it on a different one, as far as I can see.

Will post some pictures tomorrow, working today to pay for the bike :sad:

• Member Contributer

I've also done the adjuster on the GT but same thing for the Viffer so swings and roundabout's

Don't get me wrong I love the Viffer but My Triumph is my big love.

You have a 2014 Triumph and I have a 2015 VFR, my Triumph was a 2008, your VFR is a 2003.

So we both love our newest bikes :wink:

To be honest my pride and joy is my 2017 S1000RR (but keep that quiet as this is a VFR forum and I may get removed!)

I love my VFR :smile:

5 hours ago, Stevewils said:

Hi All,

Love the forum, so much info to share can't think what we did without 'em!

So I finally did it and traded in my 2008 Triumph Sprint 1050 for a 2015 VFR 800. I was a little unsure at first but having had the bike for two weeks now it certainly is smiles all round, I should have done it years ago. The VFR is everything that the Triumph is not, characterful, small & nimble, decent suspension, and of course well built (sorry Triumph!). The only thing it lacks over the Sprint is power. That 280cc loss certainly makes a difference, but when you wind the throttle above 7,000rpm all is forgotten, that noise is soooooo addictive.

The bike came with quickshifter and Akropovic can. Since buying I have removed the exhaust baffle, which makes the sound even more addictive, fitted R&G crash bungs, fender extender, SW Motech rack (looks much better than the Givi one) and a Give top box.

Plans for the future include changing the gearing. I will start with -1 on the front and see how it goes before moving to the rear. I don't want to lose the gear indicator or quickshifter, so will need a bit of investigating before I commit to anything too extensive. I have raised the seat height so might consider a taller screen, at the moment the stock seems fine and as a replacement is not far off £100 I'm not sure it is worth it just for cosmetic reasons. Oh and some new boots eventually.

Will keep you posted on future developments.

Steve.

I've done the same thing two years ago, from Sprint to VFR.
I miss some torque but happy since .
Enjoy 

• Member Contributer

Welcome another Brit :cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader:

i had that dilemma too but mine was to chose between them. Vfr won.

i have a puig touring screen with flipup sitting around the shed. Not too keen on it Mesel.

On 1/26/2018 at 1:46 PM, Stevewils said:

To be honest my pride and joy is my 2017 S1000RR (but keep that quiet as this is a VFR forum and I may get removed!)

Out, damned spot!

Seriously though, what's the RR like on a daily use basis (if you've used it like that)? It's the only BMW I've ever liked the look of so have put it on the 'might get one of those' list.

Oh, big vote for the Powerbronze db screen. Made a huge difference in noise and comfort levels (doing 120+ miles per day in all weathers) :smile:

42 minutes ago, Katie said:

Out, damned spot!

Seriously though, what's the RR like on a daily use basis (if you've used it like that)? It's the only BMW I've ever liked the look of so have put it on the 'might get one of those' list.

Oh, big vote for the Powerbronze db screen. Made a huge difference in noise and comfort levels (doing 120+ miles per day in all weathers) :smile:

The S1K is an awesome machine. I have fitted Helibar bar risers and double bubble screen, it came with heated grips and cruise control, so makes a great road bike. Just shy of 200bhp so you have to be careful with the right wrist. 

I use Kriega luggage for my daily commute which I think are superb. 

As a daily user I think it's a great bike, still not great around town as there's still too much weight on your wrists but once out on the open road it's awesome. 

• Member Contributer
On ‎26‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 1:46 PM, Stevewils said:

You have a 2014 Triumph and I have a 2015 VFR, my Triumph was a 2008, your VFR is a 2003.

So we both love our newest bikes :wink:

I love my VFR :smile:

Technically my Triumph is my oldest bike but I got nagged by other Bikers who said "get a VFR, Honda's are really reliable"

So I did and then everything started to fall off. :goofy:

to be honest, I am a great believer in the best servicing tool is to use a bike. leaving things standing for years just leads to unnoticed deterioration. and I think that was what happened to the VFR.  Now I've fettled the Viffer it's not let me down but I am still in love with that big Triumph as I do distances touring so the Trumpet will always win.

Back on the Viffer this week so lets see how many trips to Farnborough it gets through before something else falls off ! :tongue:.

Archived