Front brakes seized

Rs2k

Hi all. 

My vfr 800 vtec 2005 has been standing for a few months due to work commitments and twins being born. 

Went to take her for run today and could not get the bike off the side stand, the front wheel was locked solid ! 

I managed to free it a bit with a screwdriver prying the pads from the discs but as soon as I pulled the front brake it seized again .... 

what’s the likely damage ? Just strip down and clean or complete rebuild ? 

Thanks 

• Member Contributer

I would take the calipers from the rotors one at the time and carefully pull the brake till you see the pistons cone out till you see "clean" metal. This tells you how dirty they are.

Whip out brake cleaner, cloth and toothbrush and see if you can get them cleaned. If that does the trick, fine If not and or heavily pitted, break your piggy bank as new piston are not cheap. Donot forget to clean/flush the MC.

31 minutes ago, Dutchy said:

I would take the calipers from the rotors one at the time and carefully pull the brake till you see the pistons cone out till you see "clean" metal. This tells you how dirty they are.

Whip out brake cleaner, cloth and toothbrush and see if you can get them cleaned. If that does the trick, fine If not and or heavily pitted, break your piggy bank as new piston are not cheap. Donot forget to clean/flush the MC.

Thank you. 

It has linked abs, will that cause a problem with bleeding the system ? 

• Member Contributer

No idea on linked brakes cos my bikes donot have that.

But also have a look inside the brake fluid MC (careful with spillage). Note that the little screws are JIS (Japan Industry Standard) size and made from what appears to be metal sourced from shit-hole countries :goofy:, so use a well fitting screwdriver. 

Check the download section here on VFRD for a the workshop manual

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, Rs2k said:

Hi all. 

My vfr 800 vtec 2005 has been standing for a few months due to work commitments and twins being born. 

Went to take her for run today and could not get the bike off the side stand, the front wheel was locked solid ! 

I managed to free it a bit with a screwdriver prying the pads from the discs but as soon as I pulled the front brake it seized again .... 

what’s the likely damage ? Just strip down and clean or complete rebuild ? 

Thanks 

Another idea is to check for crud in the front master cylinder. - Do a suck the fluid out with a syringe or turkey baster thingy, clean the shit out of the interior of the reservoir with paper towels and qtips, then air blast the holes where the fluid goes to the cylinder, and adding my usual - clean! clean! clean!  - Sometimes dirt or whatever will block the return of fluid and lock the brakes.  - Very common.... 

GL 

Archived