Ageing can have its rewards?

Ha... I may grow OLD but I refuse to grow UP! .

that being said I have modified the Viffer for more comfort. higher bars, softer seat for my ageing posterior. and I am relatively young.

Where'd you get the seat done Woods? Turn around time? Did you forward a second used one to save on down time? How much did it set you back? Would you recommend their work?

I have gotten a few chicken sh!! tickets in the past.

Changing lanes without signalling, "warrened" on speed.

90 in a 55 along with 3 other riders, and we were doing maybe 55 - 65. Grrr!

So I don't mind being profiled in this way if it benefits me.

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, Auspanglish said:
On ‎31‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 12:20 PM, Woodie said:

Ha... I may grow OLD but I refuse to grow UP! .

that being said I have modified the Viffer for more comfort. higher bars, softer seat for my ageing posterior. and I am relatively young.

Where'd you get the seat done Woods? Turn around time? Did you forward a second used one to save on down time? How much did it set you back? Would you recommend their work?

It was a local auto Upholsterer called Phill Silk in Newbury. dropped it off got it back 2 days later. easy-peasy.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Yeah, the gray magic works most of the time.  I've sure been the beneficiary of it out and away from home. Now if the little gray cells will just hang in there! Dang, now what did I come in here to do before I stopped to check the VFRD traffic????

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Just curious if anyone with an 8th gen. rides with the seat in the upper position?  Riding in the lower position does bother my knees after a while.  Maybe I need to raise it to find out.  Wasn't that a very intellectual conclusion? LOL...  

Something that grates on me is someone assuming I'm retired and asking me so.  I just answer, "no, I'm still alive and probably more alert than you".  What does "retired" mean other than dead?  Young lady at a check out counter asked me if I wanted to sign up for their "senior discount", I replied, "I'll let you know when I'm a senior."  I acknowledge my age but reserve the right to use my wit, wisdom, and stupidity as wanted and needed.  It's sometimes necessary to get stupid to get down to the level of others in society we're forced to communicate with.  It's just so unfair....LOL! 

So, back to the original question....anyone raise their seats? 

57 minutes ago, Bent said:

Just curious if anyone with an 8th gen. rides with the seat in the upper position?  Riding in the lower position does bother my knees after a while.  Maybe I need to raise it to find out.  Wasn't that a very intellectual conclusion? LOL... 

Hi Bent,

I don't have a Gen 8, so I can't raise my seat, but currently I am having a problem with my right knee, as after about 15 minutes riding it stiffens up and after 45 minutes a bit difficult to straighten out when coming to a stop.  I would lower the pegs, but not ready for that yet, so I'm taking 8 weeks of physical therapy.  Last year I had a problem with my right shoulder and PT took care of that, so hopefully this will help with my knee.  Also, if I could raise my seat I probably wouldn't because I am a bit short!  Good Luck.

So try it out (so as you say quote "a very intellectual conclusion? LOL..."

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Bent said:

Just curious if anyone with an 8th gen. rides with the seat in the upper position?  

Something that grates on me is someone assuming I'm retired and asking me so.  I just answer, "no, I'm still alive and probably more alert than you".  What does "retired" mean other than dead?  Young lady at a check out counter asked me if I wanted to sign up for their "senior discount", I replied, "I'll let you know when I'm a senior."  I acknowledge my age but reserve the right to use my wit, wisdom, and stupidity as wanted and needed.  It's sometimes necessary to get stupid to get down to the level of others in society we're forced to communicate with.  It's just so unfair...

I've got my seat in the upper position, always had it like that, I find it really comfortable 

As for assuming age = f**ked, I was in Glastonbury the other day and a guy in his 30's rolls up on a new Bonneville, first thing he says is "your first ride of the year as well" .... No I've put nearly 1700 miles on since Xmas, "at your age !!" ... 

Senior discount,  I'll have that when I grow up

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Thumbs said:

I've got my seat in the upper position, always had it like that, I find it really comfortable 

As for assuming age = f**ked, I was in Glastonbury the other day and a guy in his 30's rolls up on a new Bonneville, first thing he says is "your first ride of the year as well" .... No I've put nearly 1700 miles on since Xmas, "at your age !!" ... 

Senior discounts are for chronological age.

Peter Pan referres to mental age.

I have it on good authority that Peter Pan allows senior discounts.

It's is about honoring seniors with free money. Take it.

• Member Contributer

Amen, you can take my senior discounts when you pry them from my cold dead fingers.

Seriously, who really cares how old people think you are, or comment on it. The ones that slay me are the ones that

correct you with "69 years young" when you ask them if they're "69 years old". Who gives  "the furry crack of a rat’s behind"?

I make sure I ask for either the geezer discount, or the old peoples discount.

• Member Contributer
On 3/25/2018 at 12:38 PM, Thumbs said:

I'll put my seat in the upper position or I'll never know for sure.  I'll never lower my pegs.  Kind of defeats the bike's capabilities which I come very close to on occasion.  Yes, I take the senior discounts.  I feel I've earned that after too tolerating too many decades of pure bullshit.  What's that saying about old age and treachery........  

• Member Contributer

Wasn't it Alan Parson that sang "Oh when I'm old and wise....."???

When when came, I bought the SP...

P3240969.thumb.jpg.402747b2ade8470e44727d69638bacb0.jpg

:goofy:

• Member Contributer

I've was given a break on a speeding ticket a few years ago due to my age as well. Not let go but given the least fine possible. They were responding to neighbourhood complaints and had to give me something.

My SV650 and FJR both gave me monkey butt after a couple of hours on week long journeys. My current fifth gen VFR came with lots of upgrades and I do not get monkey butt now. Sargent saddle and lowered pegs are the main reason.

I'm only 60 though.

Archived