Should I have buyers remorse?

autopilotone

New to this forum and I'm awed by the passion and knowledge shown here. I've always wanted a VFR800 and have just committed to buy my first one, a nice condition red 1999 model with 35,000km (22,000 miles) on the clock. I've since learned that Honda carried out some upgrades in 2000 regarding the cold idle automatic speed control, a lighter feeling clutch, tweaks to the ECU, included an immobilizer, and a couple of aesthetic changes. I also believe the 2000 model returns better fuel economy.

I'd like to hear feedback from knowledgeable vfer's about their thoughts on whether should I have waited for a 2000/2001 model to come available and how disadvantaged or disappointed I'll be with having a 1999 vs 2000 model? 

Many thanks,

Michael (from New Zealand)

576079154.jpg

• Member Contributer

G'day mate!

You won't be disappointed methink, but it is all about your state of mind.  There will ALWAYS be somethink better, newer, lighter, heavier out there.

I take it you had a test drive on her?  If she stirrs your loins and you feel the price is right, pounce!!!

Having said this, you are doubting, so find out what if any the consquences are of you revoking your commitment, and if you are willing to accept them.

Better to turn around halfway, then feel lost the entire way....

In the end,

VFR800's are shit anyway....  ANYONE knows  RED 4th Gens (aka "NACA's") are the best :goofy:

herfst2_zps8c5c12e1.thumb.jpg.654aab33eb9626b6d87a351dedd61344.jpg

RIP redslut.....

Welcome!

Not at all, I'm on my 3rd pre 2000 model year VFR800, they're brilliant. I actually like the manual idle speed control and the lack of immobilizer on a bike of that age is no bad thing - keeps things simple.

20171219_142742.jpg

You've got a sharp, clean looking example there. You made a great choice. I actually prefer the manual fast idle because I can warm up the bike gently on cold days without having the automatic fast idle zoom the rpm up to 2k on a cold engine. Enjoy your new purchase!

I think the internet is doing you some disservice.  The so-called "upgrades" to the ECU, etc.....they were not upgrades.  In 2000-2001 the VFR800 was fitted with a catalyst and a cold idle unit.  It also got slightly smaller diameter headers.  So yeah they had to re-program the ECU and it wasn't for YOUR benefit but for the benefit of the Environmentalists.  I remember well when a major US publication (before everyone went to online publication) gave the 1998 VFR800 the award of Motorcycle Of The Year.  The bike they tested put out around 102 rwhp (US-spec).  Later VFR's registered 98 rwhp after they got the catalyst/smaller exhaust.  Coincidence?  I think not!  Today's VFR800 puts out 96 rwhp.  Seriously!  They just keep choking this bike's engine up and then telling us we got more midrange and better fuel efficiency.  Maybe.....but if midrange is the goal then bump up the displacement to 1,000 cc and get it done right.  Because VTEC was suppose to give us more midrange also from the previous bike.  Maybe....but then the bike got heavier so whatever midrange was gained was taken away with weight.  Enough so that Honda lowered the 6th Generation's gearing to give us BACK the midrange!  LOL!  Very sneaky.  

Truth be told, you just got yourself the most powerful VFR800 produced.  And the lack of the cold idle unit (wax unit that doesn't really use wax), makes your bike a bit simpler to service.  

Disclaimer:  we all know how to get all that horsepower back and then some simply by undoing the Environmentalist mandated crap.

• Member Contributer

All VFRs are great, the 5th gen is the best naturally, and I have to echo the comments about simpler (no cat, no HISS, no auto fast idle) being better for the pre-2000 models. I think the only aesthetic change was to the mirrors (later ones are sleeker) but these can be added if you want, the mounts on the sub-frame and fairing are the same.

I may be biased, owning a 1999 VFR myself...

IMG_3511.JPG

5 hours ago, checksix said:

You've got a sharp, clean looking example there. You made a great choice. I actually prefer the manual fast idle because I can warm up the bike gently on cold days without having the automatic fast idle zoom the rpm up to 2k on a cold engine. Enjoy your new purchase!

17 minutes ago, Terry said:

All VFRs are great, the 5th gen is the best naturally, and I have to echo the comments about simpler (no cat, no HISS, no auto fast idle) being better for the pre-2000 models. I think the only aesthetic change was to the mirrors (later ones are sleeker) but these can be added if you want, the mounts on the sub-frame and fairing are the same.

I may be biased, owning a 1999 VFR myself...

IMG_3511.JPG

This is clearly a New Zealand photo, is this in the Coromandel? I'm in Katikati.

1 hour ago, Rogue_Biker said:

I think the internet is doing you some disservice.  The so-called "upgrades" to the ECU, etc.....they were not upgrades.  In 2000-2001 the VFR800 was fitted with a catalyst and a cold idle unit.  It also got slightly smaller diameter headers.  So yeah they had to re-program the ECU and it wasn't for YOUR benefit but for the benefit of the Environmentalists.  I remember well when a major US publication (before everyone went to online publication) gave the 1998 VFR800 the award of Motorcycle Of The Year.  The bike they tested put out around 102 rwhp (US-spec).  Later VFR's registered 98 rwhp after they got the catalyst/smaller exhaust.  Coincidence?  I think not!  Today's VFR800 puts out 96 rwhp.  Seriously!  They just keep choking this bike's engine up and then telling us we got more midrange and better fuel efficiency.  Maybe.....but if midrange is the goal then bump up the displacement to 1,000 cc and get it done right.  Because VTEC was suppose to give us more midrange also from the previous bike.  Maybe....but then the bike got heavier so whatever midrange was gained was taken away with weight.  Enough so that Honda lowered the 6th Generation's gearing to give us BACK the midrange!  LOL!  Very sneaky.  

Truth be told, you just got yourself the most powerful VFR800 produced.  And the lack of the cold idle unit (wax unit that doesn't really use wax), makes your bike a bit simpler to service.  

Disclaimer:  we all know how to get all that horsepower back and then some simply by undoing the Environmentalist mandated crap.

This is why I love this forum! Knowledgeable and informed people providing the real deal on what's what. Thanks Rogue_Biker.

• Member Contributer
13 minutes ago, autopilotone said:

This is clearly a New Zealand photo, is this in the Coromandel? I'm in Katikati.

Not Coromandel, closer to my Auckland home, near Maraetai. But I do get to the Coromandel and Waikato a lot.

• Member Contributer

If you go to the Downloads section, there are some article scans from the day when the 5th gen was new.  Just page through them and you'll see more.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/files/file/138-motor-cyclist-5th-gen-review-moty-sept-98/

I think many will agree that while it's "not the best at anything, it is the best at being good at everything".  Meaning you can track it, tour it, or just cruise around on it - it does all things quite well.  Is it the fastest, lightest, most powerful, etc etc?  No.  Is it however probably one the most versatile bikes ever made.   IMO the '98/'99 iteration was the best of it all - SSSA that was backwardly compatible with an 8 spoke, no cat, no wax unit, no carbs to fiddle with, but still had GDC's.   And then of course there is the sound.   Other gens have their +/-'s, but the 5th gen had a unique mix not likely ever duplicated.   Even when I stop riding (whenever that is), mine will stay with me as long as I'm around.  It's just a brilliant bike. 

2 hours ago, Cogswell said:

If you go to the Downloads section, there are some article scans from the day when the 5th gen was new.  Just page through them and you'll see more.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/files/file/138-motor-cyclist-5th-gen-review-moty-sept-98/

I think many will agree that while it's "not the best at anything, it is the best at being good at everything".  Meaning you can track it, tour it, or just cruise around on it - it does all things quite well.  Is it the fastest, lightest, most powerful, etc etc?  No.  Is it however probably one the most versatile bikes ever made.   IMO the '98/'99 iteration was the best of it all - SSSA that was backwardly compatible with an 8 spoke, no cat, no wax unit, no carbs to fiddle with, but still had GDC's.   And then of course there is the sound.   Other gens have their +/-'s, but the 5th gen had a unique mix not likely ever duplicated.   Even when I stop riding (whenever that is), mine will stay with me as long as I'm around.  It's just a brilliant bike. 

Thanks for this info, I feel confident now that choosing this particular model and this particular bike is a good move. Deposit has been paid and I pick it up in a couple of weeks. Will keep everyone posted. By the way, could you or someone else explain SSSA and GDC as per the above please.

An "immobilizer" on a 500 some pound bike that 2 - 4 guys can pick up and throw in  van, seems pointless to me. :comp13:

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, autopilotone said:

Thanks for this info, I feel confident now that choosing this particular model and this particular bike is a good move. Deposit has been paid and I pick it up in a couple of weeks. Will keep everyone posted. By the way, could you or someone else explain SSSA and GDC as per the above please.

So sorry - so many years of abbreviating has become habit.  SSSA = Single Sided Swing Arm.  GDC = Gear Driven Cams.  

From the photo it looks to have the stock exhaust on it.  Check around on youtube for videos of ones running with an aftermarket unit.  You'll soon be shopping for one.  The sound of these engines running with an aftermarket exhaust is simply intoxicating.  I can't recall all the thumbs up I've gotten over the years as I have passed people by.  It is by no means obnoxious - just a sweet rumble unique in the motorcycle world. 

30 minutes ago, Cogswell said:

So sorry - so many years of abbreviating has become habit.  SSSA = Single Sided Swing Arm.  GDC = Gear Driven Cams.  

From the photo it looks to have the stock exhaust on it.  Check around on youtube for videos of ones running with an aftermarket unit.  You'll soon be shopping for one.  The sound of these engines running with an aftermarket exhaust is simply intoxicating.  I can't recall all the thumbs up I've gotten over the years as I have passed people by.  It is by no means obnoxious - just a sweet rumble unique in the motorcycle world. 

Thanks for the advice Cogswell. Here is another photo from the other side. Can't wait to pick it up in a couple of weeks. It will get a lot of use and sit pride of place in my garage alongside my well used Suzuki v-strom 650 and Honda CT110!

576078960.jpg

• Member Contributer

Very nice example 5th gen. I will echo comments from some other members and say the "98" & "99" are the more coveted 5th gen...... I have a "98".

• Member Contributer

Some let them go....others pick them up....
Due to lack of a garage....pride of place indoors!7fd9706ffab9fe0ee1d5dfa434a66fdf.jpg

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

There is always some fluffy selling points to make this years offering sound as though now is the time to buy. I have owned a 86 VFR700 98 VFR800 and replaced that with a 99 VFR800. There is a very good case to be made that early 5th gens are the best but to be honest they are all great bikes.

There weren't enough major differences between the 1999 and Y2K models to make either one really stand out against the other. Minor tweaks that won't affect your enjoyment whichever one you choose.

• Member Contributer
On 1/16/2018 at 2:45 AM, Cogswell said:

This, plus 1,000,000.

I don't know what you can get away with in NZ, but in my opinion a mildly anti-social exhaust end can allows you to experience one of the most entertaining aspects of VFR ownership.  Unlike most other motorcycles, a VFR engine breathing through an aftermarket exhaust sounds like a deep, lopey rumble.  I grew up with hot rod American V8 engines, so I was stoked when I first discovered that the VFR's v-4 configuration and 180-degree firing order made it sound like a mini-V8.  (Conversely, I suppose, if you grew up with bikes sounding like hornets and smelling of Castrol R, that might not float your boat!)

Ciao,

Archived