What did you do to your VFR Today?

weee06

• Member Contributer

Let me clarify:

The original RAMmount (tm) that uses a rubber plug with a nut at the bottom, that subsequently expands the rubber plug, suks..

Huntingunns uses a different technigue that indeed makes it rock solid.

As redslut's fuel tank can vouch for

IMAG5005.thumb.jpg.050cd71959039a2ea1022c92f70b559d.jpg

(it did crack a bit at the bottom though... :-) )

• Member Contributer
On 2/10/2018 at 6:15 PM, Duc2V4 said:

It's a great thread topic and one that SHOULD be shared among all VFR generation owners, regardless of if its in the 8 Gen section.

And that's exactly why it should have been in a more general section of the web site such as VFR Info.

Owners of 3rd gen, 4th gen, 5th gen, etc. bikes may never peek into the 8th gen section.  No reason to unless they're shopping for one!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Interesting lights. Especially that you put them on the forks/fender. I am assuming to light the road better in a turn. Would be curious to see how well that works IRL. Any chance for a vid? Some additional pics would be nice to share also! :)

I've been changing the thermostat past couple of days. Yesterday was reassembly and that was a slight PITA. Three connectors that I had NO idea where to connect :D

The idle setting thingy on the right hand side of the bike isn't really turning but I haven't been fiddling with it so I don't know if it ever was, plus it got shorter so I must've routed it poorly.

Next phase is filling up the coolant system and see if I fitted all the hoses in a good manner, my god I'm nervous.

/R

Had my maintenance guys fab up some bar risers, look stock, and a tail tidy. They were bored, I was busy. It's nice being the boss. Anyhoo, got her out for the first time with new attachments in 5 months. Now looking to add an Ixil slip on. Badassery at its finest.

20180413_121931.jpg

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Kuke said:

Had my maintenance guys fab up some bar risers, look stock, and a tail tidy. They were bored, I was busy. It's nice being the boss. Anyhoo, got her out for the first time with new attachments in 5 months. Now looking to add an Ixil slip on. Badassery at its finest.

20180413_121931.jpg

Bike looks a Gem. The IXIL which I love and have on my Red Lady, looks particularly nice on the White, great choice, not overly expensive either.

Cheers.

I got my new suspension dialed in perfectly (or perfect for me, anyway).

Hey there guys and gals! I simply could not stand the stock suspension on the “new” 2014 Standard that I bought last October. The front was so stiff, with so much stiction, that I asked the dealer to double check it before I took delivery. And, the rear shock would launch me off the seat over every sharp-edge (high speed) bump I hit, and it barely moved over anything but the largest low-speed bumps. I put a couple thousand miles on the bike, hoping that both ends would loosen up. They didn’t.

The consensus on the VFR forums was that the Deluxe forks worked well, so I upgraded my non-adjustable Standard forks to the somewhat-adjustable Deluxe forks. I also switched to 7.5 wt. oil, and installed low-stiction, SKF green fork seals. As it turned out, I didn’t need to replace the seals. When I had the forks off the bike, with the springs out, there was no stiction. The problem was probably due to improper setup out of the crate. You know how you’re supposed to leave the left axle pinch bolt loose and pump the front end to let the sliders find their ideal spread? That clearly wasn’t done. Anyway, the lighter oil along with the proper fork alignment has the front end working beautifully.

The consensus on the stock shock was that it was too harsh. There is very little info on the forums about upgrading it though. Here’s how I decided to tackle it: I ordered a Penske 8975 “double-clicker” from Traxxion Dynamics.  It arrived with a 1,000 lb. Hyperpro spring that turned out to be too stiff for my sport touring riding style. I had to back off the preload to just about zero to get 30 mm of rider sag, and no matter how far I backed off the compression damping, the suspension only moved a couple of inches…no matter what I rode over (curbs, speed bumps, 90 mph dips). Both Traxxion and Penske were great to work with and they sent out a 900 lb. spring without making me return the 1,000 lb. spring first. That did the trick. I’ve got both ends working together, and working well. It’s the perfect compromise between touring compliance and sporty control. https://www.penskeshocks.com/product/8975-in-line-double-adjustable/ 

4BIlmY.jpg

The Penske shock is almost exactly the same length as the stock shock.

PRMC2c.jpg

Unfortunately, the compression adjustment is at the top, and is only accessible by drilling a small hole in the battery box. This means removing the battery every time you want to adjust the compression damping...but you should only have to do it a few times. The spring pre-load and rebound damping adjustments are easily accessible. If you must have easy access to the compression damping adjustment screw, you'll have to go with a remote reservoir shock. I couldn't find a good place to mount a reservoir, so I went with an in-line shock (plus, I’m definitely not a road racer).

oCmbLW.jpg

Don't forget to support the swingarm before removing the linkage bolts. Also, the shock opening is tight, so I used an old tube sock to keep from scratching the spring.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Member Contributer

Rode it to work in my summer gear in April !!!!   Minor heatwave here in the UK, was cool yesterday morning, was very hot 24c on way home, I nearly melted in my winter gear !

8 hours ago, BlueTraveler said:

I got my new suspension dialed in perfectly (or perfect for me, anyway).

What a great and informative post. I must say I am quite jealous of what you have acheived there. Plus the shock looks amazing. I love parts that look "the part"!

Might I ask how much the shock cost you?

2 hours ago, Ohlias said:

Might I ask how much the shock cost you?

I paid $785 including shipping. I asked for the VFRDiscussion discount. The sales guy (Dan) didn't know anything about that, but he gave me a 10% off-season discount instead (this all started in early Feb).

• Member Contributer

Fitted my new Powerbronze Carbon rear hugger, after rebuilding my forks- K-Tech springs 9.0N, fork seals, new bushes and 10w fork oil.

Need to put some miles on the bike to check the set up, hoping the new rear Ohlins shock and fork rebuild will give me a planted feel on my daily commute and weekend runs.

Hugger was bought to protect the new rear shock in the changeable weather we get in UK.

• Member Contributer
On 2/7/2018 at 12:25 AM, mountainslide said:

Emailed Dymag directly and they indicated no fitment options. Do you know otherwise?

You would need RC45 fitment. The front wheel will bolt straight in with stock spacers. But on 5/6th gens the disc spacing is wrong, so need replacement discs or spacers. For the rear you would need to convert to a central nut rear hub, then could fit either RC45 or Ducati rear wheel option.

• Member Contributer

I fitted a chain oiler almost excactly like this dude, but I bought a cheap Chinese brake fluid resevoir for $14 (made very well IMO), some fuel line, a primer bulb for a two-stroke chain saw and it now oils my chain from the underside poking through my chain slider 8-10" before it hits the countershaft sproket instead of the rear sproket.  Less fling and simple as pie.  This video explains it.  The bulb sits near my right thumb...NOT MY VIDEO...

• 2 weeks later...