Bar ends

Katie

My super-cheap handguards have arrived and they might fit without fouling on the fairing :ohmy:

However, using the patent motorcycle manufacturer 'build from the inside out' technique, it appears (from the manual) that the only way to get the inner weight out is to release a tab from the outside of the handlebar tube. This would require taking the grips/throttle tube off and seems idiotically complicated :mad:

The handguards need the weights supplied in order to fix them into place so, does anyone know of a way to get the inner weights out without taking the grips off?

Bar end weight removal2.pdf

image.png

• Member Contributer

Thats why I don't have any on my VFR, had to drill the weights out on my CBR 

• Member Contributer

It’s been the std Honda figment for decades.

wont your new bar ends screw into the same place?

if you don’t want to take grips off then you have 3 choices.  You will need to break the threaded end of the weight off  and then extract clip and remaing part of weight. Or punch the weight further into the bar breaking the retaining clip or get a vert fine screwdriver and lever clip in and pull lot out . 

2 minutes ago, fink said:

It’s been the std Honda figment for decades.

wont your new bar ends screw into the same place?

if you don’t want to take grips off then you have 3 choices.  You will need to break the threaded end of the weight off  and then extract clip and remaing part of weight. Or punch the weight further into the bar breaking the retaining clip or get a vert fine screwdriver and lever clip in and pull lot out . 

Handguards need a specific part of the supplied inners to lock against.

Don't want to use option 1 as the guards may not fit so want the option of returning to stock

Option 2, I'm almost guaranteed to screw up

Option 3, seems like the best version. Anyone tried it?

• Member Contributer

You need three hands! Remove the end weight and screw, with a couple of small screwdrivers or needle nose pliers you need to squeeze together the internal clip which should be staring at you as you look at the end of your handle bar, screw in the end weight screw (you've removed) and use this as a puller, as you squeeze the clip together pull hard on the screw and out it should come. Try not to damage your weight screw. There is no need to remove your grips. Picture below of remove unit.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Grum.

P1010125.JPG

The pic helps put things in perspective, thanks Grum! Will take a closer look at the weekend and see if I can apply the combined wisdom (and some violence) to the solution :smile:

Archived