Jump to content
mello dude

Extreem Heat shielding on a 5th gen

Recommended Posts

Working on a few brews.. I find it ironic its 3*F outside... Brr -:tongue:   And I'm writing about heat shields...  

 

--- Anyhoo this fall one of my "to dos" was to beef up heat shielding on the 5th gen. For some reason, the last few seasons, it would cook my ass to hamburger and limited time I could handle on it to a couple hours a shot with out a break.... 

I used several products on the market --- DEI Engineering / Heatshield Products flex transmission covering and ThermoTec - all have great stuff.... 

Photos photos photos -- also an excuse to get more practice with this SmugMug photo site.. Need to figure out to reduce photos before posting, but I'll get there later.... 

 

Starting out - I pulled the back end of the tank loose and pulled the stocker rubber shield parts. Used Heatshield Products formable transmission cover with adhesive and cut that to shape on the front rubber shield...Being stiff aluminum and foam,  it was very tricky to get it shaped and stuck down. There is a perimeter tape that ensures it stays put.  -- the battery cover is from DEI - a more flexible material. That one was fairly simple. 

 

20170703_195508

 

20170703_195457

 

Backside look...... 

20170703_195638

 

After 3 or 4 - cut fit, cut fit, cut fit, --- got it installed to a good fitting..... fits good, looks good too. 

20170704_161003

 

Right side.... 

20170704_160845

 

 

Battery cover -- no brainer - ez

20170703_195604

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not one to leave much to chance - the seat would get hot so- a what the hey.. .did the seat too.... 

Used ThermoTec material... 

20160529_211625

 

A convenient  chess board turned out to be great template material.... 

20160529_212944

 

Template 

20160529_211714

 

First pieces fitted... 

20160529_211657

 

 

Progressing.... 

20160529_215531

 

The whole deal completed..... 

20160529_223953

 

 

So -- I can say that all the fuss did the job and worked out fine. Got in longer rides at end of season.... 

- Maybe in the spring I wont take it apart again and get some solid trips going! 

 

Sources... 

https://www.heatshieldproducts.com/automotive/auto-heat-shield-guide

http://www.designengineering.com/

https://www.thermotec.com/products/heat-shields-and-protection

 

 

Cheers :beer:

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've found the adhesive weakens after a while, so you might have to do something to keep the edges in place later.

 

Ciao,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JZH said:

I've found the adhesive weakens after a while, so you might have to do something to keep the edges in place later.

 

Ciao,

Thanks for the tip :cool:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried lots of variations for reducing heat, found the best is using reflective tape as you did,  wrapping two rear down pipes with titanium wrap, "no other worked well"  and removing heat shield to allow some air flow 

 

IMG_4318.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gig, just an off-topic quickie... Do you have the triples lowered down the forks a bit or is it just the slope you're parked on?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One more off topic quickie - 

 

Gig, is that a full Two Brothers exhaust setup including headers? how about you sell it to me, sound good? Paypal ok?, thanks. :goofy:

Nice bike, where'd you get the little pad for the seat cowl? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Triples lowered 10mm

 

Yes, I think the exhaust is literally worth more then the bike.

 

The cowl pad is labled CSS, but I cant find o line search.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/3/2018 at 8:29 AM, gig said:

I tried lots of variations for reducing heat, found the best is using reflective tape as you did,  wrapping two rear down pipes with titanium wrap, "no other worked well"  and removing heat shield to allow some air flow 

 

IMG_4318.JPG

My machine came with taped exhaust pipe and a removed heat shield also. I experience no hot butt through my leather riding pants.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/30/2017 at 8:16 PM, mello dude said:

Not one to leave much to chance - the seat would get hot so- a what the hey.. .did the seat too.... 

Used ThermoTec material... 

20160529_211625

 

A convenient  chess board turned out to be great template material.... 

20160529_212944

 

Template 

20160529_211714

 

First pieces fitted... 

20160529_211657

 

 

Progressing.... 

20160529_215531

 

The whole deal completed..... 

20160529_223953

 

 

So -- I can say that all the fuss did the job and worked out fine. Got in longer rides at end of season.... 

- Maybe in the spring I wont take it apart again and get some solid trips going! 

 

Sources... 

https://www.heatshieldproducts.com/automotive/auto-heat-shield-guide

http://www.designengineering.com/

https://www.thermotec.com/products/heat-shields-and-protection

 

 

Cheers :beer:

 

 

 

 

 

That seat latch tho...

 

 

20180106_121648.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/3/2018 at 7:29 AM, gig said:

I tried lots of variations for reducing heat, found the best is using reflective tape as you did,  wrapping two rear down pipes with titanium wrap, "no other worked well"  and removing heat shield to allow some air flow 

 

IMG_4318.JPG

 

That looks so good, my heat shield must now be removed...... Hopefully no increase in heat on lower leg/ankle....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I also blanket the rear cylinders with a aluminumized Kevlar wrap to
curb the heat that radiates from the heat of combustion... the net
result is a lot cooler seat and more comfort for the rider...
365642751_60be95b36e.jpg


I used Thermo Tec Heat Barriers Aluminum Kevlar

and 1" Titanium exhaust wrap...

893-54125.jpg

exhaust_insulating_wrap.png

 

 

 

I always wrap my pipes and I also wrap my RC45 customers pipes to curb
the heat that radiates from the heat of combustion
gallery_3131_51_1853.jpg

gallery_3131_51_90260.jpg

gallery_3131_51_19326.jpg[

The amount of corrosion is limited to slight graying of the titanium
surface... buffed with grey micro 3M pad the luster of the metal
returns...
gallery_3131_51_52132.jpg



 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BusyLittleShop, I had a bit of discoloration under my wrap after a couple of years, so cleaned up with 3M and put a coat of exhaust paint on the down pipes hoping that would prevent any corrosion?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy.