Struggling to remove spark plug

Stray

• Member Contributer

Hello All, 

Need some help removing spark plug from cylinder 4, I think (left front). 

The socket seems unable to get a grip. Almost as though the hex on it is stripped, or something. It just jumps off as I turn, no matter how much downward pressure I put on it. 

Of course being the most awkward plug to remove on the bike doesn’t help! Had to dismantle most fairings and right rad to give enough room. Who would have thought changing plugs required removing the mirrors...

Plug was installed less than 200 miles ago with copper ease so it is not seized. I just can’t get any purchase on the blasted plug. 

Something must be be wrong as the CBR coils I installed successfully on the other 3 plugs will not install on this one. Almost like it is sticking out a bit more than the others, not allowing the coil to seat. 

Took a couple of pictures but cannot make anything out of them: 

EAE29839-954C-4E43-AFE3-6CB8A9B1FEAB.thumb.jpeg.e0af7effd32835cd0ba0b5c8358881c6.jpegC41213DC-F9CA-4DEA-AE12-C6D8ED076FAB.thumb.jpeg.4e26cfdd663a955fa0c443dbcd75ab75.jpeg

Has anyone else experienced something like this? Any advice on getting the plug out? 

Thanks in advance, 

Stray 

If your socket has the foam protector in it, try removing it. I've had issues with mine not wanting to stay on the plug with it in place. The hex looks good in the pics. Is that something on top of the plug's center post?

Agree that the hex on the plug looks good.  Maybe buy a new spark plug socket?  Because they should come right out.  They do NOT need to be very tight in there, just a bit more than hand tight so they should turn back out easy as long as your socket has a nice grip.  I use articulating ratchet extensions (they look like auto driveshaft connections) so you can have the socket at an angle as you turn the wrench.  VFR spark plug replacements are usually easy.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for your help, chaps. 

In the end, turns out the plug was cross-threaded and standing skew. That’s why the socket wouldn’t slide over it. 

Scratched my head for about 5 days wondering how to fix it. Finally, I took the OEM spark socket from the tool kit and ground down the outside corners to round it and give a bit more room. 

Looked like this when done: 

80898E26-FD31-4746-AB9A-8A96C1851086.thumb.jpeg.37e44bb6d9258e44b8e3db5127d5caca.jpeg

Thank God it worked and I got the plug out. Then re-chased the threads with a nicely lubed new plug. Best to do it with another spark socket as the one in the tool kit is quite flimsy and allows too much movement in the well. Good for pulling out cross-threaded plugs but bad for installing plugs straight. 

Proper sockets are more substantial and don’t allow much movement at all, making cross-threading less likely. 

Thanks again for for all your advice. If it happens to anyone else hopefully this guide will help. 

Stray

• Member Contributer

Agreed - always put a little copper grease on the plugs. 

My own stupid fault for cross-threading it in the first place. It’s just that one plug where the oil cooler bracket makes it hard to install straight. 

Sorted now, thank God. 

Stray

Archived