rear wheel weights on my digital scale

• Member Contributer

Jus weighed my spare bare 5th and 8 spoker.

5th gen rear is 6.050kg

8 spoke is 5.870kg

Not a lot lighter, but a saving never the less.

• Member Contributer

Mike:

Theres about 2 feet of snow on the ground and the 4th gen in buried in the garage behind the a bunch of bikes so I found this pic which gives a better angle on the Frame sliders.

The sliders are an e-bay item, $14, The HT bolts that I cut down and threaded and the Lower rod are from McMaster Carr, I think $15 total, The tubes are Steel cut to size $5. The straps I made from stock I had lying around.

If you want detailed lengths, I'll take them off and measure at some point, just shoot me a PM.

1488482967705.jpg

• Member Contributer

very nice, a question:  it appears there is an extension fairing on the belly pan that covers the kickstands and almost goes back to the rear wheel..is that a stock item?

It really gives the bike a great appearance

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, bykemike said:

very nice, a question:  it appears there is an extension fairing on the belly pan that covers the kickstands and almost goes back to the rear wheel..is that a stock item?

It really gives the bike a great appearance

Sadly, only the '90-'93 3rd Gen VFRs had these extra panels. Perhaps a small amount of weight was saved but they did add a touch of class.

Btw, John's bike lacks a small trim panel on the kickstand itself. But indeed, his is a beautiful VFR.

• Member Contributer

FWIW, my recently powdercoated 8-spoke wheel weighs 5.75kg (without stem).  Factory painted I would expect to be slightly lighter.  Sadly, I don't have a spare 5-spoker to compare it to at the moment.

Ciao,

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/12/2017 at 6:27 AM, Lorne said:

Sadly, only the '90-'93 3rd Gen VFRs had these extra panels. Perhaps a small amount of weight was saved but they did add a touch of class.

Btw, John's bike lacks a small trim panel on the kickstand itself. But indeed, his is a beautiful VFR.

I do have it, the pesky screw lug plastic bits have broken, though - so I need to fix them up. I also have the original headlight protector!

24726554097_daf8bc7277_b.jpg

Archived