rear wheel weights on my digital scale

• Member Contributer

I was ready to install my 93 8 spoke wheel with a new Michelin Power Pilot 2, in place of my stock rear wheel and a Michelin Pilot Road 3, I had them both off and my digital scale nearby so I figured I'd grab a weight.

5.5 eight spoke is seven oz's lighter

New rim/tire went on real fine after I broke lose the lug nuts, took a 4' pipe on a breaker bar, retorqued to 80 ft lbs, I had to remove the tire once to install a shorter valve stem that was clipping the caliper.

DSC_1078.JPG

DSC_1077.JPG

DSC_1080.JPG

DSC_1079.JPG

DSC_1081.JPG

• Member Contributer

Nice looking bike.

I didn't know I wanted an 8 spoke rear rim on my 4th Gen until I actually saw one on a 4th Gen.

in 2015 I was working in England for 8 months and bought a 91 VFR. Even though I was there through Fall, Winter and Spring I was bases in Falmouth Cornwall so it wasn't to bad with snow and ice. The Euro white rim thing kind of grew on me while there so when it came time to sell............I sold it without the rim but with a brand new rear tire.. The eventual buyer was kinda of chagrined but did not complain as I gave him a very good deal.DSCF2218

My 91 in UK.

My 97 in my yard. The front  rim will be white by Spring.

DSCF2819.JPG

• Member Contributer

Like that 97 for sure, white wheels are a good look, is there a big difference between 95 and a 97?

I have to ask, what is the red strap thing that seems to be mounted just above the rear brake lever and goes up at an angle?

• Member Contributer

Glad to weighed the rims. Did that many years ago but lost the data in the big VFRD meltdown :-)

No changes afaik, other than early (94) ones had the front legs from the 3rd gen with the small drain holes at the bottom.

Red Naca's are the best

side_zps1d068241.jpg.afc51ab4c2a93503a0ed0c70ce9e2a40.jpg.7fd71d4eb077caba02a845cfd811e9bf.jpg

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, bykemike said:

I was ready to install my 93 8 spoke wheel with a new Michelin Power Pilot 2, in place of my stock rear wheel and a Michelin Pilot Road 3, I had them both off and my digital scale nearby so I figured I'd grab a weight.

5.5 eight spoke is seven oz's lighter

New rim/tire went on real fine after I broke lose the lug nuts, took a 4' pipe on a breaker bar, retorqued to 80 ft lbs, I had to remove the tire once to install a shorter valve stem that was clipping the caliper.

DSC_1078.JPG

DSC_1080.JPG

It looks like you have weighed the wheels with different tyres--which could themselves weigh different amounts.  I had always heard that the 5-spoke wheel was the lighter one...

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

I realized that which is why I listed the model tires on the rims at the time of weigh in. Hardly scientific but, I hope, useful to someone.

surprised nobody's had a bad reaction to the color change of your 8 spoke wheel. 

I currently have an 8 spoke out at a wheel repair/powder coating firm, getting it refurbished for my '99 5th Gen VFR, and I'm also going with black same as you.  Seems like most people go with the original year-specific colors for the 8 spoke wheel regardless of the bike model year, so you end up with something like a 5th Gen with the bronze or silver or white colored wheels on it.

Do you remember the specification for the black powder coating color applied to your 8 spoke wheel?  The people I'm using looked at my 5th Gen VFR's original rear wheel and determined that it was "black 60% gloss" so I went with that.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, bykemike said:

I realized that which is why I listed the model tires on the rims at the time of weigh in. Hardly scientific but, I hope, useful to someone.

Actually, the 94-97 (5 spoke) rear wheel is lighter by 800 grams compared to the 90-93 (8 spoke) according to the Honda data sheets.  Wheel width went from 5.5" on the 90-93 down to 5" on the 94-97.  So, the weight delta has to be tire, or balance weights (if they're still attached).

That said, your bike looks great with the Gen 3 8-spoke wheel and hi-mount exhaust.  Been wanting to do this for over two deades, and now I've seen your beautiful bike I'm inspired to finally get off my rear and do it over the winter.

Anybody with a Gen 3 rear wheel and high mount exhaust they want to part with?

• Member Contributer
23 hours ago, Dutchy said:

I measured both rims with a PR on, the 3rd gen was lighter....

No reason to doubt you Dutchy and wouldn't be too surprised Honda might be "light" on the facts. On the surface, three spokes and half inch less width seems like a lot of material to remove on the Gen 4 wheel and still be heavier. For grins, I'll make a point to measure the two without tires, weights etc., if and when I find an 8 spoke Gen 3 wheel.  

• Member Contributer

I have them side by side and I can tell you the gen 4 wheel has heavier built spokes, check it and see if you agree

Just look at the wheels in the pictures I posted

• Member Contributer

I have a freshly powdercoated 3rd gen bare wheel I could pop on the scales...

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Fwiw, I found that, sans weights & valve stems, the 3rd Gen 8-spoke and 5th Gen 5-spoke rear wheels weighed about 12 pounds each.

Btw, the 5th Gen front weighed 9 pounds with wheel bearings but without brake rotors, weights, or valve stem.

• Member Contributer

When I did my wheel swaps, the 5th gen rear was 6Kg or 13.2lb, the front with bearings & disc bolts was 5Kg or 12lb. My carbon wheels cut those numbers in half.

Weighing wheels with tyres on is a bad idea, as the same tyre can be 1/2Kg different in weight & the same size tyre can be up to 2Kg different in weight from different versions or manufacturer. People often forget or don’t know this. A one kilo saving in tyre weight makes a huge difference to the steering response at speed.

• Member Contributer
15 hours ago, Marsman99 said:

if and when I find an 8 spoke Gen 3 wheel.  

Fingers crossed!!!  :beer:

• Member Contributer

When I was searching for mine I found three between eBay and craigslist

High of about 550 and down to 350.

Ultimately I went with a VFR I found on CL that didn't run, was missing parts and had no title. I called the guy and asked him how many spokes the rear wheel had and when I got the right answer I sent him the money and he sent me the wheel

I think he would have sold me the whole bike for not much more but I didn't feel like paying the shipping

• Member Contributer
On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 7:55 PM, bykemike said:

Like that 97 for sure, white wheels are a good look, is there a big difference between 95 and a 97?

I have to ask, what is the red strap thing that seems to be mounted just above the rear brake lever and goes up at an angle?

Hi Mike:

Sorry for the delay, I was out of town for a few days. Don't think there are any major differences between 94 to 97 models.

The straps you mention are part of my frame slider install. I could not find anything that did not involve cutting the fairings on these 4th Gens, so I made up my own utilizing the aft upper and lower engine mounts. I made some custom 10mm bolts by threading 3/8" HT bolts that I cut down to size and threaded the shoulders for what I needed. Looking at what it turned out like I added the straps down to the lower mounts with some 11mm rod that passes through the engine to reduce the lever action if I dropped at speed. Haven't tested it yet, and hope not to.

Don't think the 94-97 looks half bad with an 8 spoke on it...here's mine

38589108984_6101b3e2d9_h.jpg

But I don't think it looks a patch on my 90-93 with a later front wheel (oh, and Brembo calipers!)

37715067561_f7a09a0d4c_k.jpg

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, 750 said:

Don't think the 94-97 looks half bad with an 8 spoke on it...here's mine

Too true. But then, I don't think there's an SSSA VFR that doesn't look better with the 8-spoke.

It's not that I inherently dislike 5-spoke wheels, just that the 4th, 5th, and 6th gen 5-spokes just aren't that attractive.

Archived