1997 vfr750 Idle speed adjustment

Hi all,

I was wondering what is involved in adjusting idle on a 1997 VFR750, idle is that slow it shuts off..guy wants $1000 for bike, been dropped and needs work but overall not bad bike

https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/mcy/d/honda-750vfr-1997/6421713155.html

thank you!

8 minutes ago, mwlehman said:

Hi all,

I was wondering what is involved in adjusting idle on a 1997 VFR750, idle is that slow it shuts off..guy wants $1000 for bike, been dropped and needs work but overall not bad bike

https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/mcy/d/honda-750vfr-1997/6421713155.html

thank you!

It depends on the bike's history, really. The quick answer is the black idle speed adjustment knob. On my 1990 (1990-1993) it is inside an opening in the left side fairing panel. I don't know where it is on the 1994-1997, but I would expect it to be the same. The bike's history would give you a better idea of why it is low. Has it been stored for a long time with gas in the carbs causing plugged or partially plugged pilot circuits? Were the carbs off the bike and maybe not adjusted or balanced properly after install? A low idle would not stop me from buying the bike. It can be adjusted or fixed.

Cheers,

Glenn

thank you guys. I looked at bike in a parking lot thurs night, it was a little dark...but I think I will go ahead with purchase.

the carbs were supposed to have been off and cleaned and idle issue happened after that

Thanks again

Mike

• Member Contributer

IF the carbs have been removed and cleaned, they are likely out of sync and need to be balanced.  Not overly difficult but does require a couple of special tools and normally results in some minor burns.  If you are able to do your own work then this is a GREAT deal, but if not, then my opinion would be to get one in better condition.

Let us know what you end-up doing.  

Archived