• Member Contributer

Hey All,

First time VFR owner and first time poster. I've been a Triumph thoroughbred for a while now - owning both a Street Triple and Thunderbird - I decided I wanted something a bit more sport touring. A few family friends own VFR's from various generations and I have heard nothing but good things about them. So I decided to buy a 2009 VFR800 to add to my stable. The previous owner did some tasteful mods to it such as Honda hard bags, leovince exhaust, tail tidy and a double bubble windshield. To add my own touch to it I'm adding a few mods to it myself - honda logos on lower portion of the fairing, reflective rim stripes and a rear tire hugger from red fox (waiting for it in the mail).

In addition I wanted to create a new tail tidy as I noticed without any form of mud guard, the tail lights get coated in road grime and dirt and muck which reduces their effectiveness (plus they are getting sandblasted.)

I am making a new inner rear fender to cover up the gap in between the exhaust behind the tail tidy. My ultimate goal is to cast my prototype in carbon fiber. Take a look and let me know your thoughts or if you have any suggestions.

IMG_20171015_092754119.jpg

IMG_20171103_083549677.jpg

IMG_20171103_084613946.jpg

IMG_20171124_221544652.jpg

IMG_20171125_133420589.jpg

IMG_20171209_090538472.jpg

IMG_20171209_091009040.jpg

IMG_20171209_091015919_HDR.jpg

IMG_20171209_103224291.jpg

• 6 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Thank you! The guy who had it before me did a great job with the mods and keeping her in great shape.

I wish I could give you the good news saying i finished up the carbon fiber, but unfortunately, living in the great old Canada makes getting the materials to make the mold very difficult and expensive. so this project ended up being put on the back burner. Had some other priorities to work on such as replacing the horribly located fast idle wax unit.

I did however get the decals and tire hugger installed though and the world of difference IMO.IMG_20180228_172107687.thumb.jpg.088a3e46fae3d9f9c6e9759bbf3b1d31.jpg

IMG_20180228_172114719.jpg

• Member Contributer

Looks good!  Did you do a Honda hugger or a RedFox or something else.  I’m not too keen on drilling my swing arm and that’s what looks to be needed for the Euro Honda part. 

• Member Contributer

i went with the redfox, it was one of the few available that didn't require drilling the swing arm. I was pretty disappointed with the fit though and I was not pleased with how the zip ties that fasten the lower portion of the hugger  fitted. I spent several hours with a heat gun bending and remoulding the ABS plastic so that it fit perfectly around the tire - and I ultimately ended up drilling a small hole into the swing arm to eliminate the awful zip ties

• Member Contributer
28 minutes ago, TriumphTraitor said:

i went with the redfox, it was one of the few available that didn't require drilling the swing arm. I was pretty disappointed with the fit though and I was not pleased with how the zip ties that fasten the lower portion of the hugger  fitted. I spent several hours with a heat gun bending and remoulding the ABS plastic so that it fit perfectly around the tire - and I ultimately ended up drilling a small hole into the swing arm to eliminate the awful zip ties

Thanks for the quick reply, good to know!

• Member Contributer

I went with the redfox also and it wound up splitting on me after a few years.  I've got the 8th gen hugger kit and will install it when time allows.  I wouldn't worry at all about the drilling, just take your time and tap it right.   Measure it 5 times and drill once. 🙂 

Dave.

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, dgordon said:

I went with the redfox also and it wound up splitting on me after a few years.  I've got the 8th gen hugger kit and will install it when time allows.  I wouldn't worry at all about the drilling, just take your time and tap it right.   Measure it 5 times and drill once. 🙂 

Dave.

Had to drill and tap for a Woodcraft Shark Guard on my SV. Just prefer anymore to not put holes where the manufacturer didn’t originally!  Especially on structural parts. 

Archived