Muffs?????

:goofy:

muff.thumb.jpg.c23bd2f52d03ee53485259b6c5ec0110.jpg

Hope Mr MUFF is doing well.... :beer:

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, GatorGreg said:

Gloves and heated grips aren't enough? :tongue:

Actually I have a heated jacket liner and heated gloves.  :tongue:

Heated grips don't do squat for you when it's 25F, and not only do unheated winter gloves not hold up in those temperatures, they block the heat from the grips.

With muffs and heated grips you can use lighter gloves.

• Member Contributer

I'm now a convert to electrical heating. I've been riding 50miles each way to work in 0C (32F) temps over the last few weeks & the heated jacket & gloves are brilliant. It's nice to not have to dress up like an astronaut to keep warm & still use your fingers normally.

• Member Contributer

I used handlebar muffs for a couple cold-weather trips before I had any other proper gear. They can be extremely effective. If I were buying a pair today, my main priority would be that they easily permit your hands being removed from and reinserted into the gauntlet. The pair I had were not so good in that regard. This made for a couple tense moments after I adjusted a mirror or something like that and then had to quickly snake my hand back into the muff because the car ahead of me hit the brakes. Or one could eliminate this concern by having a personal discipline that hands remain in the muffs until the next pit stop.

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Katie said:

Some reports of the Barkbusters Blizzard muffs being ok on a faired biked? Still waiting for my cheapo handguards to arrive so will report back on them if they fit!

I have those fitted to the Crossrunner for the winter and very effective they are too.

Tried the Oxford Muffs on my old 5th Gen but the fouled the switches and levers too much to be any good.

• Member Contributer

I've fitted Cheapie handguards to my Vtec. it's made a difference as it has cut out the wind chill factor. Not had a chance to try them at sub zero conditions but my get my wish later this week.

I've fitted Cheapie handguards to my Vtec. it's made a difference as it has cut out the wind chill factor. Not had a chance to try them at sub zero conditions but my get my wish later this week.

Hey Woodie can you please throw up a picture please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
31 minutes ago, Urbanengineer said:

You really should have some sort of protection in front of the covers, they tend to push the levers. 

There's an amazingly amusing thread about that on ADVRider.com.  :laughing6-hehe:

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Urbanengineer said:

You really should have some sort of protection in front of the covers, they tend to push the levers. 

I’ve seen this too. When you pick up a bit of speed the wind pushes the muffs into the levers slowing the bike down. Really funny and a bit dangerous, but mostly funny. 

I once saw a courier with hand guards made out of two old 4 pint milk bottles. Classic! 

Apparently the Hein Gericke muffs are highly rated.

On 09/12/2017 at 5:36 PM, Mohawk said:

I'm now a convert to electrical heating. I've been riding 50miles each way to work in 0C (32F) temps over the last few weeks & the heated jacket & gloves are brilliant. It's nice to not have to dress up like an astronaut to keep warm & still use your fingers normally.

I’m with Mohawk. After many years of heated grips and dressing like the Michelin man I finally bought a heated vest. Revelation!

If your core is warm then cold fingers don’t really bother you. That surprised me. Of course, my heated vest broke down just as the cold snap of winter kicked in - typical! 

Stray

• Member Contributer
15 hours ago, duccmann said:

Hey Woodie can you please throw up a picture please?

The only thing I had to do was grind the end of the lever to clear the plastic of the handguard and engineer new longer pivot bolts for the levers. They clear the screen/fairing (just) despite have higher bars fitted.

10 hours ago, Stray said:

I once saw a courier with hand guards made out of two old 4 pint milk bottles. Classic! 

and I bet it was on a CX500.

IMG_20171203_105010.jpg

• Member Contributer
21 hours ago, Stray said:

Apparently the Hein Gericke muffs are highly rated.

I’m with Mohawk. After many years of heated grips and dressing like the Michelin man I finally bought a heated vest. Revelation!

If your core is warm then cold fingers don’t really bother you. That surprised me. Of course, my heated vest broke down just as the cold snap of winter kicked in - typical!

I'll add the H-G stuff to my list of products to check, thanks.

I've heard this thing about a warm core versus cold fingers and maybe it helps, or maybe it helps some people.  In my experience it definitely didn't help enough.

If you don't mind cobbling stuff together and don't care how it looks, all one has to do where I live is take a cue from the food delivery guys.  Or from the everything delivery guys I see rolling around when I go to South Korea, who fabricate scooter skirts, motorcycle fairings, handlebar guards, GPS/phone sun shades, etc. out of ubiquitous ugly green corrugated board and tape.

• Member Contributer

I'm 100% with Mohawk and Stray on heated gear.  Turn the knob to be as toasty warm as you like, and no bulky layers.

Simple thermodynamics - insulation only slows the heat transfer.  Sustained rides at low temp will eventually suck all the heat out of you, no matter how many purpose made base layers you have.  For this situation, it is necessary to add heat to the equation.  Heated gear does it.

Not a big fan of the muff concept.  Heated gloves solve the cold hands issue.  Mine are even waterproof.  That said, on real cold occasions, the gloves need more heat than the jacket, and if you're on a single circuit, the jacket can get too warm.  So, for this, heated grips add just enough heat to find a decent balance.  Both with a push of a button or turn of a knob.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Marsman99 said:

I'm 100% with Mohawk and Stray on heated gear.  Turn the knob to be as toasty warm as you like, and no bulky layers.

Simple thermodynamics - insulation only slows the heat transfer.  Sustained rides at low temp will eventually suck all the heat out of you, no matter how many purpose made base layers you have.  For this situation, it is necessary to add heat to the equation.  Heated gear does it.

Not a big fan of the muff concept.  Heated gloves solve the cold hands issue.  Mine are even waterproof.  That said, on real cold occasions, the gloves need more heat than the jacket, and if you're on a single circuit, the jacket can get too warm.  So, for this, heated grips add just enough heat to find a decent balance.  Both with a push of a button or turn of a knob.

Agree wholeheartedly about heated gear, however there are many days when it gets colder than you thought, or you just feel the cold more and that's when heated grips and muffs come into their own as they are there all the time whereas you have to know in advance that you need the heated gear.

There's a time & place for all of them.

• Member Contributer

All SP2 riders are equal, but some SP2 rider are more equal brave stupid than others...

-George Orwell-

Clearly, this isnae me.... :goofy:

5a30e14aecef4_InkedIMG-20171212-WA0004(2)_LI.thumb.jpg.a941bd0e750fc933f40111c2cf5a9425.jpg

IMG-20171212-WA0008.thumb.jpg.1b85d9d6f3674601de41b84781389438.jpg

My pal is of my age, so you'd think he was smart enough already. 

Well, he at least admitted that this was indeed not a smart thing to do.

Once home, his next action was to wash of the kilo's off road salt....

IMG-20171212-WA0016.thumb.jpg.fee99a31ca8aa3149a6bd067f4c8a1e0.jpg

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, Dutchy said:

All SP2 riders are equal, but some SP2 rider are more equal brave stupid than others...

-George Orwell-

Clearly, this isnae me.... :goofy:

5a30e14aecef4_InkedIMG-20171212-WA0004(2)_LI.thumb.jpg.a941bd0e750fc933f40111c2cf5a9425.jpg

IMG-20171212-WA0008.thumb.jpg.1b85d9d6f3674601de41b84781389438.jpg

My pal is of my age, so you'd think he was smart enough already. 

Well, he at least admitted that this was indeed not a smart thing to do.

Once home, his next action was to wash of the kilo's off road salt....

IMG-20171212-WA0016.thumb.jpg.fee99a31ca8aa3149a6bd067f4c8a1e0.jpg

What's all that white stuff on the ground? :tongue:

• Member Contributer

At least they spray the road outside his gaff.....it's an ice rink around ours. :mad:

• Member Contributer

well... he now reports his speedometer not working anymore.....

I just sent him his image....  :goofy:

Knipsel.JPG.b6a30d99606d8d25641e90b8b0f9e87a.JPG

Archived