Master Lock Disc Brake Lock Review - DO NOT BUY

bighawk

All:

Just wanted to let you know that I had purchased a new disc break lock:

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-Brake-Shackle-8303DPS/dp/B0009V1WR0

The unit's locking mechanism stopped working while locked on the bike.  I don't mean it froze in place or anything strange happened, it simply stopped working.  The lock would turn without actually releasing the pin.  I was stuck for over a week until I had it sawed off.  I called Master Lock and emailed them to no avail - they sell defective products and offer 0 support.  Check other reviews throughout the net to see similar concerns.

Overall - a shoddy company with no ethics.  Giving you guys the heads up to avoid Master Lock at all costs. 

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, bighawk said:

All:

Just wanted to let you know that I had purchased a new disc break lock:

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-Brake-Shackle-8303DPS/dp/B0009V1WR0

The unit's locking mechanism stopped working while locked on the bike.  I don't mean it froze in place or anything strange happened, it simply stopped working.  The lock would turn without actually releasing the pin.  I was stuck for over a week until I had it sawed off.  I called Master Lock and emailed them to no avail - they sell defective products and offer 0 support.  Check other reviews throughout the net to see similar concerns.

Overall - a shoddy company with no ethics.  Giving you guys the heads up to avoid Master Lock at all costs. 

Buy cheap. There was a case several years ago with another manufacturer where you could open them using the lid of a biro. 

• Member Contributer

Who steals a VFR? I think just riding a 99 Honda VFR800 is a good enough theft deterrent for me. I think all the disc locks do is increase my chances of a tip over. Twice to date. May be a personal problem true but the likelihood goes way up if you put that little thing on your disc then after a long days work you gear up and load up the bike and anticipate that moment of clutch release and the ride home but ..errch! bam!. Disc lock strikes again.

8 hours ago, VFR Capt.Bob said:

Who steals a VFR? I think just riding a 99 Honda VFR800 is a good enough theft deterrent for me. I think all the disc locks do is increase my chances of a tip over. Twice to date. May be a personal problem true but the likelihood goes way up if you put that little thing on your disc then after a long days work you gear up and load up the bike and anticipate that moment of clutch release and the ride home but ..errch! bam!. Disc lock strikes again.

I solved this issue by using one of those disc lock cords. They make a hell of a lot of sense so you don’t forget haha 

• Member Contributer

+1 and place the lock at the "5 o'clock" position, just under the brake caliper. This why you cannot move forward 3/4 wheel and come to on abrubt stop....

• Member Contributer

Is that an axle grinder in your pocket or are you just.......  :goofy:

I have been using ABUS lock for years and have never had issues at all. It's not so sensitive and triggers alarm as soon as setting the bike upright. It is loud enough to hear from two blocks away.  highly recommended.

WeChat Image_20171208084633.jpg

WeChat Image_20171208084643.jpg

7 hours ago, Urbanengineer said:

Nice stan, what is your address and what hours are you away from home?

Great Urbanengineer. Literally, my bike is always within two blocks away from me. Free parking spots are limited in Sydney. I also dislike someone to move it to squeeze the space. So, it is not only about theft prevention.

• Member Contributer

In London they'd just lift it into a van (screaming disc lock and all) and be gone in 60 seconds...

Ciao,

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, JZH said:

In London they'd just lift it into a van (screaming disc lock and all) and be gone in 60 seconds...

For the most part the same is true here.  Though I did have a Scorpio motion/proximity alarm that a few years saved one of my VFRs from being loaded into a van on NYC's upper west side.

14 hours ago, Urbanengineer said:

I was just joking with you. I'm jealous that you are in spring/summer right now enjoying the VFR while mine sits in winter storage.

I knew that was joking. Enjoy your seasonal off. I took my bike to the track today and was pretty excited. It was first time for this bike.

637FC0B2-D7FC-4040-A1B4-597AF40A8EFC.jpeg

DEC66C19-1484-486E-95C7-94EFBAE3E6AD.jpeg

09410255-8BC2-4E27-9DC6-3D4811A6CD00.jpeg

Archived