Exhaust collector (balance) box

jeremyr62

Anyone know if the collector box off a VF500C (V30, Magna) will bolt onto a VF500F/F2 (interceptor)? They look the same and as the bottom ends of the engines are the same so I assume it would fit but nothing beats personal experience. There are quite a few decent condition Magna boxes on Ebay but less F boxes.

• Member Contributer

The F2 has a larger oil carter so you'd need some extra clearance.

Pretty sure they will, but let's ask @TheDutchy

Answering my own question.

VF500F/F2

1984 Collector 18310MF2671  € 525.83 incl. VAT
Superseded by 18310MM1671   € 525.83 incl. VAT

Same part number is listed for both 84/86 bikes

1984/85 VF500C 18310MJ8003 € 608.85 incl. VAT

The Magna collector looks very different on the schematic so I think the answer is probably no.

• Member Contributer

The only difference COULD be the difference in the center stand location.  The exhaust relationship between the engines is exactly the same...   they share the same crankcase.  There's a good chance the Magna center stand location took up more room and the collector could work just fine on the Interceptor, even with a center stand.  The angle of the muffler attachment outlets could be an issue though.

The VF1000R collector will mount on a VF1000F.  It has more volume as it takes the space where the F center stand lives.  But the angle of the outlets prevents using any 1000F mufflers.

"The angle of the muffler attachment outlets could be an issue though."

From the schematics I have seen, I think this will be the problem.

All the good collectors seem to be in the US. Over here the flanges where the mufflers/silencers attach always seem thin/holed from corrosion.

I will be patient and keep looking for a decent F type.

Archived