Starting troubles. 1997 vfr 750

Jason047

Hi riders!! I am having trouble with my bike 1997 vfr 750 restarting after it warm. I put a new r/r and stator along with new battery. Can ride it for 10 miles shut it off but won't start up unless jumped...I double checked all wiring and can't see any problems. Could it be my starter silonoid..

• Member Contributer

Hi Jason, when u write "checked the wiring", u sure (especially) the plug into the RR is ALL the way in?

Dont ask how I know.

Have u also measured (after putting in the new parts) the Vac output over the 3 yellow wires, both with engine cold and hot (after the bumpstart).

Chevk the workshop manual (in the download section) for further tests.

Good luck!

• Member Contributer

J47, there may well be an issue with your starter relay.

To refresh everyone's memory, charging output (red/white) from the rec/reg goes through the starter relay en route to the battery. Pull the rubber boot off the relay and check the three small gauge wires and terminals for signs of heat stress or failure. See my '92's for example:

med_gallery_6146_6562_49087.jpg

• Member Contributer

Well, if he checked all wiring, how could he have missed such one? :goofy:

• Member Contributer

“Jumped” means what? External batt w/ cables or push started? If solenoid works when “jumped” there’s a clue...lotsa potential trouble spots here!

"JUMPED" With a jump box..it won't start with a push start...after letting the bike sit all night it started this morning with no problems..so you have any ideas on what this could be? I ordered a starter silonoid..

1 hour ago, airwalk said:

“Jumped” means what? External batt w/ cables or push started? If solenoid works when “jumped” there’s a clue...lotsa potential trouble spots here!

"JUMPED" With a jump box..it won't start with a push start...after letting the bike sit all night it started this morning with no problems..so you have any ideas on what this could be? I ordered a starter silonoid..I can also watch my battery voltage drop while the bike is idel

• Member Contributer

Hi Jason, 

sure it is you money so by all means, order any part you like (no offence meant BTW),

but first MEASURE the out and througputs is my advise...

Archived