Hello from the SF Bay Area

sorenlaf

Hi Everyone,

New member from the east bay.  I do not (yet) have a VFR, but am currently shopping for one.  Consequently, I am seeking the Wisdom of the Forum to assist the search.

Why a VFR?

I'm currently riding an ST1100.  Great bike, but heavy.  I also ride an F3, another great bike, but a bit cramped for an all day ride.  VFR looks to be ideal, but I have not yet ridden one.

From my preliminary research, it appears the VFR suspension is a bit primitive.  There are some posts on this forum about adapting an F2/F3 shock to a VFR, so I'll probably go that route, as I have both Ohlins and Twin Clicker F3 shocks available - bought a TC for the F3, then came across a great deal on an Ohlins...  Front will get gold valves and springs, or a transplant.

I'm inclined to go with an FI bike, so that puts me into the gen 5-6 bikes.  According to Wiki, '98 on are FI bikes, with 2000 on having a cat, O2 sensor, and closed loop FI.

First question: any significant differences between the '98-'99 model and the 2000+ model?  I refer to the results of the changes in the induction and exhaust, not the changes themselves.  I'm specifically asking about: fuel economy, throttle response, reliability, maintenance, and last of all, power.

Gen 6 appears to introduce chain driven cams.  Got a number of bikes with these, so it's not a red flag, but is there a consensus of opinion of the reliability of gear vs chain cams?

Gen 6 also gets VTEC, which should be a good thing for a touring bike, but one never knows how new tech is going to work out.  At a minimum, it's more moving parts to wear out.  Any opinions or comments?

Are factory hard bags available for the gen 5 bikes?  They'd be nice to have, so that would push me toward a gen 6 bike if they are not available for gen 5.  Of course, there's always Givi.

Almost forgot.  Bars.  Are the handle bars adjustable?  I refer to the angle between the bars.  Bars that are too "flat" give me wrist pain after a few hours.  F3 is fine, stock ST bars were terrible.

I'll mostly be using the bike for rides of more than an hour.  All day will not be uncommon.  Sometimes slab, sometimes 10 hours of back roads.

Any other information for a new VFR rider would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

--Soren

• Member Contributer

Welcome to VFRD from across the pond (Atlantic) :beer:

Having put CBR600F3's on my redslut (4th gen) I cannot say it felt like a big step forward.

My brother has had a ST1100 for 20+ years now; 2 years ago he finally listened and had Hyperpro fitted front and back. His only regret now is that he had not listened sooner.

The only flaw on a VFR (well many bikes suffer this) is the alternator getting crispy/failing. Especially the Vtec since Honda decided to put an oil line in front of the hole where the oil (to cool the RR) spews out. so measure Vac and Vdc and Ohms when buying second had to see if you need to spend a little more $.

BUT.......

all this is premature....

go RIDE a VFR (4/5/6 gen)

you will either say "nah.....

or get this unstoppable warm feeling in the nether regions and say "YES"

the rest will fall into place no problemo.

:goofy:

Archived