Auxiliary Fender Lights

litigatin

Is anyone running auxiliary lights on their Eighth Gen?  I'm considering pulling the trigger on a pair of Denali D2 2.0 lights (http://www.twistedthrottle.com/denali-d2-2-0-trioptic-led-light-kit-with-datadim-technology), and mounting them using the front fender bolts, but $350 is giving me serious pause, especially given that the fender mount kit is an additional $40. 

Anyone have any thoughts on value and installation hassle? 

Anyone running anything more reasonably priced but of similar quality? 

Thanks in advance!

• Member Contributer

I'm running a set of Givi's on my Crossrunner (same headlight as the F-model) but luckily my bike takes large engine bars which provide an easy mount.

The lower mount height on the forks may lessen the effect but should still provide enough light to fill the gap short of the current setup.

Thanks, Skids, I'll check out the Givis. 

And I'd just like to say, for the record, that you Crossrunner folks over the pond get all the cool aftermarket toys compared to us F people here in the US.  Mounting points are painfully scarce on the F.

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, litigatin said:

Is anyone running auxiliary lights on their Eighth Gen?  I'm considering pulling the trigger on a pair of Denali D2 2.0 lights (http://www.twistedthrottle.com/denali-d2-2-0-trioptic-led-light-kit-with-datadim-technology), and mounting them using the front fender bolts, but $350 is giving me serious pause, especially given that the fender mount kit is an additional $40. 

Anyone have any thoughts on value and installation hassle? 

Anyone running anything more reasonably priced but of similar quality? 

Thanks in advance!

So these things are advertised as 2190 lumens at 10 watts each.  Which seems a bit incredible efficiency-wise but who knows.

A friend of mine had been peddling 15 watt Cree units a couple of years ago and said they were just shy of 2000 lumens.  All I can say is when he turned those things on it looked like a scene from Close Encounters.

I'm sure you could find stuff for half the price if you wanted.  Just check the build quality.

• Member Contributer

What are you aiming to achieve?

Better visibility on dark backroads through the forest?

Or a hope that oncoming cars notice you and donot take a left turn?

If the latter, think again

medium.IMG_9607.JPG.ab3fbb74128130427f1cacd5ad2cd963_1.jpg.834acf6922762df75017e407b5ebaec6.jpg

+

IMAG4542.thumb.jpg.9fee8143a57a0b88df67bb1437fe77dc.jpg

Still resulted in

IMAG5049_1.thumb.jpg.f5c2aecc538556eb0cafe2e49b5dcbe5.jpg

Those Denali lights look pretty nice but $350+ (emphasis on the "plus"!) would definitely cause me some hesitation.  For much much much much cheaper, you can go to Aliexpress and search "motorcycle LED".  I'm considering trying something from there - if it doesn't work well, it was only a "few" $ and I won't be crying too much... 

• Member Contributer

Dutchy....it looks like you were using standard incandescent lights and whilst there aren't any lights that can prevent an idiot not seeing you, LED lights are so much more stand-out. When I filter (lane-split) on my commute, it's like the parting of the waves in front of me with my 4 LEDs highlighting me.

I'm also sure there are cheaper alternatives to either the Denali or the Givis, but I wanted quality build as well as good light because they spend the winter commuting along with the rest of the Crossrunner.

Good choice the Denalis.   I'm aiming to install them on a mount from the T-Rex crash protectors.

Or fit the SW-Motech Mirror wideners, and use them as a base?

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Skids said:

Dutchy....it looks like you were using standard incandescent lights and whilst there aren't any lights that can prevent an idiot not seeing you, LED lights are so much more stand-out.

Knipsel.JPG.a58e1d2939597337cdbb41501ed08eab.JPG

Not as bright as the Denalis perhaps, but icw all the other xmas lighting and decoration..... :goofy:

What "saved"me was my speed (39kmh in a 70 zone), being aware of my surroundings. approaching a turn-off, spotting the car waiting to merge and the ongoming car approaching. I recall the "oh fuck" moment seeing him move in front off me. Police told me afterwards that I created a 3 metre darkie....  :goofy:

Morale is: donot beleive that thanks to extra lights they will see you for sure, and thus relax your awareness. Don't...

But, I must admit they look cool!!!  imho...

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, Dutchy said:

Morale is: donot beleive that thanks to extra lights they will see you for sure, and thus relax your awareness. Don't...

Ah, they didn't look LED in the picture.

Agree completely with what you said above. Hope to be seen, plan that yr not.

Thanks all.  The VFR is my commuter bike -- 90 mile roundtrip -- the last 5 miles of which is all unlighted back roads, and the goal is simply to throw a little more light out in the straights and a lot more in the turns, especially given that it's basically dark by 4pm or so in the middle of winter here. 

• Member Contributer

Are your headlights adjusted properly?

Find mine ok except for the drop off on some of the tighter bends. That’s nearly 50 miles of twisties in the dark. Chickened out on putting lights on her , but bought an 1150rt and am I the process of upgrading lights on it ( only because of the posibility of a deer strike) so the vfr is warm and dry in the shed. 

40% of my riding is done at night, I'm not unhappy with the stock lights but more is better in this situation.

I'm running  Xprite WL-12RS-2PC 3-Inch 12Watt Round Led lights

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LNW9XTI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

Description states spotlight I feel they are closer to 60 degree floods. Mounted with PIAA 4106 M6 Multi-Fit Lower Fork Mount Kit

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T6JE282/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Easy straightforward installation, little to no sign of vibration. Along with plugs total cost is under $70.00

I typically aim the left side  just under and wider than the head light (works for freeway interchanges)

and the right side for distance.

I don’t have a photo of  how high I had to aim mine when I had my Versys, but to use these as proper cornering lights they have to be aimed incredibly high up and wide. I have this shot though. I think you all run these as a DRL, which is Okay. But at night, these can’t be on when you have traffic heading at you. You blind other drivers. Put the accessory lights on full brightness with your high beam switch, night DRL’s with the low beam. 

0DA91A61-0A21-420C-AB2F-3D31D797FBFC.jpeg

Archived