I need help removing a screw

Lint

On my 99 VFR, I have one screw in my velocity stack that is starting to strip. I've used a JIS screwdriver, but it won't help. It must have been really twisted in hard by the P.O. I will spray that screw with PB Blaster and see if that will help, but I could use advice for this.

Thanks

• Member Contributer

If you can get a flat punch on the screw and tap it to flatten the top to tighten the bite. Then a little valve lapping compound on the tip of your screw driver will give extra grip to keep it from walking out. Place the screwdriver into the screw Give a tap to drive it in tight. Also I like Snapon Type screwdrivers with the wrench grip at the top so you can push down on the screwdriver while turning with the wrench for extra leverage. Good luck cause Drilling and taping SUCKS!!

• Member Contributer

YouTube is a good resource too. I found a few videos not too long ago,  all with different techniques. One was what was described by burnes45, the lapping compound trick. The issue you have is that you really don't have a way to attack the screw from the side due to the velocity stack, so the options will be limited. Also no easy way to get a cutting wheel to cut a slot across the head and allow use of a flat head screw driver. This is how I was able to get out a few screws, security screws being one type.

• Member Contributer

the flat punch is a good tip. I've used it many times. it also helps loosen any corrosion gripping the thread.

• 3 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, MBrane said:

50/50 mix of ATF/acetone, and an impact driver.

This is what MBrane means by impact driver.   I'm assuming most readers will think pneumatic powered tool.

image.png.616630c7608e861f332fb040c6a9f358.png

• Member Contributer

I had one of these on my 6th Gen's velocity stacks. Wouldn't come out even with an impact driver. Ended up cutting the velocity stack off which gave me room to attack from the side. Had to buy a new vs, but it wasn't expensive.

Best of luck.

• Member Contributer

I had the same issue and solution as Skids.  Took the Dremel to the v stack so I had full access to the screw, then cut a slotted groove into the screw head with Dremel, then a large screwdriver and I finally got enough purchase to get the screw out.  One new screw, one new v stack, problem solved.  Pain in the... But not expensive.

Archived