Invest $$$ in my '04 or Upgrade to an '09?

didit

• Member Contributer

While my '04 VFR is in hibernation, I'm taking the winter to consider my options.

Option A:  Invest several thousand $$ (mostly labour) in maintenance, parts and general repairs to my existing bike, with just over 110,000 km

Needs: new head bearing, valves synced, possible clutch (cleaning/ maintenance/ new plates?), eventually will need a new (4th) stator, cure current starting issue

Option B: Take the (apprx) $2000 or so in maintenance + potential $2500 bike value, apply it towards a new to me 2009, low km model

Benefit: all my existing luggage and farkles will fit, little to no aged repairs for a while

Thought's?

And before those who are endowed with mechanical wisdom and spare time, tell me to DIY to save $$,

I have limited mechanical skills, tools, shop space, no lift nor extended time to do all to perform the majority of required maintenance.

I can & do change my own oil, remove wheels for new tires - stuff like that.

• Member Contributer

Yeah, that first post sounds like a guy looking for absolution for wanting to buy a new bike, I happen to be ordained so: go my son and buy the new ride and, if you have an 8 spoke rear rim on the 04, sell it to me to assist with the purchase.  :)

I was in a similar situation not long ago. I really wanted to do suspension upgrades and a few other farkles but the 03 wasn't worth enough to spend more than it was worth doing it all. I came across on 07 with every farkle known to vfrdom for less than the difference of the suspension mods. There were days when I thought I had made a mistake. As with any change, I had to iron out a few kinks. In the end, it was worth it. I bought the 07 for about what all of the add-ons would sell for used.  In the hot rod world, the conventional wisdom is that its cheaper to buy it made than to build it yourself.  I say go out and shop!

• Member Contributer

Hey Mark! Great to hear from you.  Doing well - well on the recovery path.

Thanks everyone for the input.

It's not easy, as I've done all I can to my '04 (suspension was the greatest thing) and love riding it - but practicality and outside wisdom must prevail.

It would be sweet to find a deal where I can swap out the good bits and come out fair.

Not looking to make a mint on mine, but not looking to get bent over either.

Of course, then there's the 'ride it till it stops' thought, but I don't want to be 3000 miles from home when that happens.

Time to start creeping the net for a new mistress.

Thanks again for the shared permission to go shopping.  My wife's email address is . . . . 

Archived