98-2001 5th gen Rearset adapters - Sebspeed Customs

SEBSPEED

Question

Hey all, this has been in the works for a bit and I'm finally ready to make an initial run available.

I developed this rearset adapter while building a custom '99. I had a set of CBR929/954RR Sato brand rearsets on hand, and so developed the adapters around them. I have designed them to place a racing-style 954RR rearset in the oem VFR peg position at the lowest, most forward position when the new rearsets are installed in the CBR orientation. This allows track or race style "up & back" adjustment. Because of the 2-pc design of most racing rearsets, the plates can also be flipped Left to Right to allow the pegs to be positioned lower than stock VFR position.

Can be set up for Standard or GP style reverse shifting 

I am selling these adapters as a kit at a pre-order price of $140 for the 1st 10 orders. All orders beyond the 1st 10 will be $150.

What you receive in the kit:

- 1 pair billet 6061-T6 aluminum adapter plates in Bare Bright or Satin Brushed finish (sorry, no anodize option at this time)

- 1 set of 6061-T6 spacers

- stainless steel hardware

To complete this modification to your bike, you will also need to purchase an oem or aftermarket set of rearsets made to fit a 00-2003 CBR929RR or 954RR (fit is the same). I chose to leave this option to the end user rather than A) maintain an inventory and B) limit style and selection. The world is your oyster folks, there are a great many options out there for CBR sets!

There ARE a couple caveats, as with any custom installation:

- depending on your choice of aftermarket set, you may need to use a pressure style brake switch rather than your oem switch

- the stock heat shield is deleted

- extreme peg position adjustments may require adjustment of the brake line(s) and/or brake line replacement

- new levels of comfort and/or on-track prowess may cause untold amounts of envy from other VFR riders...

20171123_115414_zpszo9kjwcc.jpg

20171123_115358_zpsnbnqqlax.jpg

20171123_162414_zpsvy1tiu5g.jpg

20170529_212752_zpsbkiqzs07.jpg

IMG_20170707_192857_887_zpsvktzi44u.jpg

I will accept pre-orders as defined by a response to this posted list in combination with 50% down payment via paypal.

As with my clutch cover buy, I'm kicking back $5 of each pre-order to VFRD!

• Answers 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am waiting on a confirmation but yes, it looks like we do. 

I was going to start pm'ing folks tomorrow, but since you asked... :D

Machine shop has already started the run, we are underway.

Hi Seb, I joined VFRD this morning and I am about to start a 5th gen project. Have you still got space on your list for another set to the UK?  Thanks, Skiddy

2 hours ago, Skiddy said:

Hi Seb, I joined VFRD this morning and I am about to start a 5th gen project. Have you still got space on your list for another set to the UK?  Thanks, Skiddy

Congrats, you are lucky #10! :)

1. Duc2V4

2. ScottieDucati

3. VFRNewbie

4. Kieran Rielly

5. Ioseb

6. JoesCrabHouse

7. keef

8. VFROZ

9. kave

10. Skiddy

I am happy to make more parts available beyond the initial 10! The price will be $150/set from here on. Thanks all!

Seb and my fellow rear set adaptor buyers,

I am thinking of buying a 954 trackbike to act as donor for the bits I want to swop onto my 5th gen project. am I right in thinking that the complete front end and rear end will fit relatively easily?  Will the swingarm and rear suspension mount/shock need spacers/adaptors in any way? I'm guessing the rear subframe will need a fair bit of work to adapt!

just don't want to buy something that isn't really viable. Happy for any top tips and sorry if this is old ground for many.

Cheers, Skiddy

understood Seb, thanks for the advice. If you think he has lost interest I will take those off your hands if you have a price and throw them in with my adaptors!

Skiddy

On 12/7/2017 at 11:54 AM, Skiddy said:

understood Seb, thanks for the advice. If you think he has lost interest I will take those off your hands if you have a price and throw them in with my adaptors!

Skiddy

I shipped them out long ago, he just hasn't finished his bike. I have the notes somewhere for the parts, let me look.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, RVFR said:

Bota bing,  Bota boom!!   Now for the next step. 

DSC02381.JPG

You said step...

Oops, a nice slip of the word huh. Actually, looking for what will fit with a bit more flexibility and positioning,  I just tried fitting stock 954 sets, Nope.  well the stock ones will need a slight machining/ grinding,  thing is if i lined things up right,  it's looking at the moment there's no difference from what the stock lay out is. So????

10 hours ago, RVFR said:

Oops, a nice slip of the word huh. Actually, looking for what will fit with a bit more flexibility and positioning,  I just tried fitting stock 954 sets, Nope.  well the stock ones will need a slight machining/ grinding,  thing is if i lined things up right,  it's looking at the moment there's no difference from what the stock lay out is. So????

What is the issue with the fit of your stock parts? 

As stated in the first post, lowest most forward position with race rearsets = stock 954 = stock VFR. To take advantage of the up or down and back settings, you'd need to fit race style rearsets which allow that adjustment. 

I'll see if I can work in a photo or two lat.  in short the 954 sets have a slight curve to them. ( no these arn't bent)  kinda like what the stock sets have.  When you line up the 954 set to the adapter there's a slight arch in the factory set that doesn't let the two surface mate perfectly flat. Thing here is after market sets have less metal surface contact nor the slight bend.  I'm still playing though, so it's to early to get wondering to much.  No problem here taking the 954 set to the mill,  just saying. I prefer the foot pegs on the 929/954 set over say satio or vortex, not a fan of solid mounts for pegs as I like the spring folding part. What I'd like to do, (IF) is install the Ca. Super bike school pegs for the BMW 1000R on here some how.

Lets see if this helps  it's at the mounting point there under my thumb. There's like .020 needed. either off the rear edge on the adapter, or the inside of the 54 set.  as it is,  the two surfaces don't sit flat making a pinch bind of sorts.

DSCF1447[1].JPG

Ok, gotcha. We can relieve that edge on the next run if needed. I was only ever working with the race sets which are machined flat at the faying surface, and I assumed the stock parts would fit. I'd recommend you remove material from the adapter vs the stock part, the adapter is very "overbuilt" and filing the edge to create a clearance chamfer will not hurt it in the least. 

Are you 100% sure the parts you have were never crashed or dropped? They do bend fairly easily. 

Not sure this will help, but I just looked closer and noticed you have the left rearset on the right side adapter - please check if the issue remains when pairing the correct sides (counterbores in the adapters face out).

Good eye,  But   ;)  yea no.   I thought that at first then did a hands on the bike compare, which has the left adapter to the left rear set  in the above photo. Here's the same with the right side, same thing,  No biggie it's only a few thousands. I kinda figured your thought with fitment on your end looking at past photos and all. I can't run you a muck...........Yet  :)   

DSCF1448[1].JPG

Thanks for that, I'm also one that likes to figure things out as you might all ready know,  so all is good.   I'll do a bit more looking, fitting to see what might make the best sense.  LOL, right now I'm looking into swing arm nut options, as not that it's a huge deal, the black plastic caps that are there now will from what I can tell won't be used, since it's kinda right out there, was looking around in what may be a good form and function piece . 

• Member Contributer
On 12/27/2017 at 8:12 AM, RVFR said:

Ah, seems as though on the simple side, adding the right size washer will do the trick here.

That's what I'm planning on doing with the OEM rear sets I have now, as I'm most likely going to get a set of aftermarket rear sets later when I get my kick back on a job lead I provided someone. That being said, based on what I can see with a test fit for the brake side, I'll need to do some extra work and quite possibly get some new lines made up, as the angle of the master cylinder is way different. I knew this going in, but didn't know the extent of it. Considering I still need to get the vehicle inspected before I can re-register/insure it, I'm most likely going to wait until I get that done first.

My main goal was to get a quick shifter put on but RB said that I need a "link" type shift lever in order for theirs to work, vice the direct level type that's on there now. So my main motivation is getting that done once I get the registration stuff completed.

Here's a shot of the OEM 929 rear set test fit on the brake side.

IMG_3813_zpsytnrkulu.jpg

Archived