Radiator Fan Kicking on When Warming Up

prozak

Hi All,

The last couple times I started my bike  up I've noticed my radiator fan kicking on which seems really odd. About a minute or so after starting the bike the fan will come on for maybe 10-15 seconds. The engine clearly doesn't need to be cooled as the gauge displays just over 100F. It's been in pretty cold ambient temps around here, in the 40Fs, but I don't see why that would cause this. Other than that the fan functions as normal, comes on at 220F. I'm wondering if you all could give me some insight before calling the dealer. I'm real reluctant to do that, but it's still under warranty. Maybe the ecu does some cycles on startup and testing the fan when it's cold out is part of that? I also made a similar thread in maintenance/electrical but figured this would get more traffic. Sorry if making two threads offends anyone.

Thanks

• Member Contributer
On 26 November 2017 at 7:21 AM, prozak said:

Hi All,

The last couple times I started my bike  up I've noticed my radiator fan kicking on which seems really odd. About a minute or so after starting the bike the fan will come on for maybe 10-15 seconds. The engine clearly doesn't need to be cooled as the gauge displays just over 100F. It's been in pretty cold ambient temps around here, in the 40Fs, but I don't see why that would cause this. Other than that the fan functions as normal, comes on at 220F. I'm wondering if you all could give me some insight before calling the dealer. I'm real reluctant to do that, but it's still under warranty. Maybe the ecu does some cycles on startup and testing the fan when it's cold out is part of that? I also made a similar thread in maintenance/electrical but figured this would get more traffic. Sorry if making two threads offends anyone.

Thanks

Hi prozak.

Don't worry, I think you'll find this is normal. The 8gen as opposed to the 6gen does not have a fan thermatic switch, the fan is completely controlled by the ECM via the Fan Relay. (ECM temperature input from the ECT sensor).

I've noticed that if the bike is stationary and you set the RPM to anything over 2000rpm, within a few seconds the fan will fire up and remain on till RPM drops back below 2000rpm,  it's probably a simple and clever way of testing the fan operation. When riding, the fan operation is as you'd expect.

I use this function a lot after washing the bike, it helps blow away the excess water from the radiator cooling fins.

Cheers.

POST EDIT - 1/Dec/17.  Further Testing showed that bike engine Temp needed to be greater than 45degC for the above function to work.

Archived