Quickshifter

weee06

Tell me about the Quick Shifter.  I could really use something that shifts up thru the gears. I was in a Auto accident 5 months ago, nearly completely tore off my Left Foot, they put it back on, slowly recovering but mucho pain especially pulling up the shifter.  I have seen some of the after market quick shifters n the past for Drag Racers but didn't know Honda had an OEM Quick Shifter out there. I have 5 VFR's of various vintage in Hawaii and a 5th Gen I have in Arizona for trips on the Mainland every year.  What comes in the Box you have shown here in the Forum, and is it a complete setup.  Very interested to know all about it and what you think of it.  Thanks, Renzo

• Member Contributer

Egads, man, glad you kept your foot but that sounds awful.  Feel free to pursue the OEM quick shifters but bear in mind that there are at least a few businesses that for quite some time have specialized in modifying bikes for people with ability limitations such as yours.

Good luck,

Brad

Yeah I know, thanks. I have the ability to modify the shift lever myself but thought I would like to find out all I can from someone or more than one about the Honda OEM shifter.  I might even make a toe and heel shifter like some of the Harleys have had for many years.  Thanks, Renzo

I installed the Honda quickshifter on my Gen 8. Let me tell you it is a lot of fun! It was easy to do, the only comment I have is that it seems to be a little shorter than the stock shifter. I am shifting with the side of my boot because sometimes I can up shift trying to get my boot out from between the shorter and the foot peg. I am looking at putting lowered foot pegs on.  That should do it.  But man it is a lot fun zipping through the gear box at 11,000 RPM!

IMG_1421 (1).jpg

7 hours ago, Motorenzo said:

Tell me about the Quick Shifter.  I could really use something that shifts up thru the gears. I was in a Auto accident 5 months ago, nearly completely tore off my Left Foot, they put it back on, slowly recovering but mucho pain especially pulling up the shifter.  I have seen some of the after market quick shifters n the past for Drag Racers but didn't know Honda had an OEM Quick Shifter out there. I have 5 VFR's of various vintage in Hawaii and a 5th Gen I have in Arizona for trips on the Mainland every year.  What comes in the Box you have shown here in the Forum, and is it a complete setup.  Very interested to know all about it and what you think of it.  Thanks, Renzo

A quick shifter is just a regular shift lever that you can shift without using the clutch, or letting off the throttle. It doesn't shift for you. You still use your foot just like every other bike's shifter.  Sounds like you would really benefit from the VFR1200 with the DCT. That is a true automatic with no clutch lever or shift lever.  For the US, they only made them in 2010, 12, and 13. (In red, blue, and black, respectively).  They still make the VFR 1200X with the DCT, but it's meant to be more like an ADV bike.  The new Africa Twin ADV bike is also available with the DCT. 

Fink,

Just a quick look shows that your shifter is set up differently than mine. Your shifter is almost straight my is angled down.  unless the camera angle is playing tricks on me.  I did follow the instructions and lined up all the match marks. Hmmm, maybe I should just adjust the linkage until the shifter is parallel to the peg and get that room back.  Don't know what to say. I never had my boot stuck under the shifter with the stock one and have accidentally upshifted twice already trying to get my boot out of the quick shifter.  Perhaps the angle is effecting travel making it shift earlier? I guess I could take the collar off the shift cog and rotate it until the shifter is level with the peg and see if that helps. Either way not a big deal I am getting used to it and shifting with the side of my boot.  I will probably just leave it alone...

Mine sits slightly lower than the stock lever but that works well for me. There is some adjustment but if there's not enough, you could swap out the linking bar for a slightly shorter one? The quickshifter operator would stay in the same place but the lever would rise. A lot cheaper than new pegs too :)

• Member Contributer

Well I will take a photo when I get home of what comes in the box. I also already have lowered pegs on my bike so I can take some photos once installed on the bike to let you guys know how it looks and operates. 

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Rodento said:

Fink,

Just a quick look shows that your shifter is set up differently than mine. Your shifter is almost straight my is angled down.  unless the camera angle is playing tricks on me.  I did follow the instructions and lined up all the match marks. Hmmm, maybe I should just adjust the linkage until the shifter is parallel to the peg and get that room back.  Don't know what to say. I never had my boot stuck under the shifter with the stock one and have accidentally upshifted twice already trying to get my boot out of the quick shifter.  Perhaps the angle is effecting travel making it shift earlier? I guess I could take the collar off the shift cog and rotate it until the shifter is level with the peg and see if that helps. Either way not a big deal I am getting used to it and shifting with the side of my boot.  I will probably just leave it alone...

Here is another angle. Not as good lineup wise tho 

E23C18B0-FBC2-4EBA-97DE-7103FCE977ED.jpeg

It feels closer to the footpeg because it is, very slightly. Because your fulcrum is next to the peg, when you lift the shifter it describes part of an arc that bends in toward the peg (and your foot). The stock lever, because the fulcrum is on the other side, arcs out and away. I wouldn't really think an average shift lifts it enough to feel the difference but apparently some people can.

• Member Contributer

okay, here are some pictures of the oem quickshifter install. I show what comes in the kit, where to plug and bolt on and how it looks with lowered pegs. Note, I placed the quickshifter on the X model dot. This lowered the shifter peg down so it shifts lower then oem with the lowered pegs. 

72870D93-65E5-4A93-94A5-450D10A42272.jpeg

B3CCD882-728E-4F78-9C5D-EFAB2FA07CEB.jpeg

BD060929-9716-4AB5-B060-039A1C024406.jpeg

025ACE3C-0B4E-4B10-B6C2-C5E040EE2DE4.jpeg

D72D590E-DB96-48E0-A31E-03F76148417D.jpeg

Hmm,

Makes me wonder if lined up the wrong match marks... As our shifters seem to be lined up the same. lol I guess I goofed.  I'll have to realign the shifter and see if that gives me the room back..5a19c58016817_IMG_1421(1).thumb.jpg.78d4a743f2230b1b0b5909bf56ec829a.jpg

Thanks to you all for all the info!!!!   Two more questions, (1.) What exactly does the electrical connection do?   I'm assuming it kills the plug firing circuitry for a Micro-Second to avoid damage when upshifting when on the gas with no clutch. Marine outboard and inboard motors with outdrives have done this for  many years when shifting from neutral to forward or reverse to avoid gear damage.  Just a guess!!!!   (2.) Will the Quick Shifter hook right up on the 6th gen VFR's as well as the 8th gen, electrical plug and all?  When I looked online at the Honda OEM parts fiche it appears as a good parts number for 6th and 8th gen....  I'm sure out of this bunch, someone knows. Thanks, Renzo

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Motorenzo said:

Thanks to you all for all the info!!!!   Two more questions, (1.) What exactly does the electrical connection do?   I'm assuming it kills the plug firing circuitry for a Micro-Second to avoid damage when upshifting when on the gas with no clutch. Marine outboard and inboard motors with outdrives have done this for  many years when shifting from neutral to forward or reverse to avoid gear damage.  Just a guess!!!!   (2.) Will the Quick Shifter hook right up on the 6th gen VFR's as well as the 8th gen, electrical plug and all?  When I looked online at the Honda OEM parts fiche it appears as a good parts number for 6th and 8th gen....  I'm sure out of this bunch, someone knows. Thanks, Renzo

AFAIK it's only for the 8th gen - here's a link to the installation instructions:  08U70-MJM-D10.pdf

10 hours ago, Motorenzo said:

As for the first part, yes. The quickshifter linkage itself is only a switch that triggers when you shift up. The connector is so that it can either kill the ignition directly, or (more likely imo) report the shift to the ecm, which will then either kill the ignition or cut the fueling, however Honda designed it. (Edit: if it's routed via the ecm, using it on a 6th gen may not work, because the 6th gen ecm may not have a hookup/know what to do with the input. Don't know, though)

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, TheLoneReader said:

As for the first part, yes. The quickshifter linkage itself is only a switch that triggers when you shift up. The connector is so that it can either kill the ignition directly, or (more likely imo) report the shift to the ecm, which will then either kill the ignition or cut the fueling, however Honda designed it. (Edit: if it's routed via the ecm, using it on a 6th gen may not work, because the 6th gen ecm may not have a hookup/know what to do with the input. Don't know, though)

Haven't installed one but can confirm from the Circuit Diagram - The Quickshifter switch input goes directly to the ECM (Pin A-13 SSW Pink/White wire), so it could interrupt Ignition or Fuel or Both. As for the 6gen, there was never any option for fitting one at least for the Australian version AFAIK.

Cheers.

• 1 month later...

Fitted one on mine since two weeks. A little bit of practice is needed for perfect shift at low rpm but once you get how to do it, it's really pleasant.

My passenger and me like it a lot. So smooth at low rpm and i can pull harder under acceleration.

• 4 months later...
On 11/25/2017 at 11:48 AM, weee06 said:

okay, here are some pictures of the oem quickshifter install. I show what comes in the kit, where to plug and bolt on and how it looks with lowered pegs. Note, I placed the quickshifter on the X model dot. This lowered the shifter peg down so it shifts lower then oem with the lowered pegs. 

72870D93-65E5-4A93-94A5-450D10A42272.jpeg

B3CCD882-728E-4F78-9C5D-EFAB2FA07CEB.jpeg

BD060929-9716-4AB5-B060-039A1C024406.jpeg

025ACE3C-0B4E-4B10-B6C2-C5E040EE2DE4.jpeg

D72D590E-DB96-48E0-A31E-03F76148417D.jpeg

Where exactly is the blue electrical plug located in this picture?

• Member Contributer

Here you go its amongst the group of 4 connectors at about the 11 o'clock position. Just remove your L/H fairings.

image.png

Archived