Mounting a GPS

DrSteve

• Member Contributer

DrSteve, VFRD member Huntinggunns makes a great RAM mount that mounts (rock solid) in the steering stem. See the post a few lines below yours in Equipment and Gear.

I used this on my recently departed 2010 VFR1200, its great!

IMG_1868.JPG

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, DrSteve said:

Just picked up a Gen. 7 (1200F) and want to mount a Garmin.  I can handle the wiring but can not find a place to mount it.  What methods have you found?  Pics would help.  Thanks, Steve

Doc, I found there are basically three ways to go.  Stem mount, brake/clutch clamp mount, and reservoir mount.  On the F model you could also consider bar clamp mounts (room on the left bar), ditto if you convert to a Spiegler LSL bar.

For brands, you can go with RAM, Techmount, or Adaptiv brands.  Personally, I chose the Adaptiv mounts because I thought they looked cleaner without the big thumb screw on the side, and I figured I'd adjust once and forget about it.  A few tips though, disassemble their ball mount and use red Locktite on the mount screw, or you will later.  Also, they use a steel clamp screw...it rusts.  Replace with SS.  Otherwise top notch.  Below is my setup...stem mount for phone (GPS?), reservoir mount for RD.  It's all adjusted to allow sight of the instruments, though the stem mounted phone does obscure the lower portion of the tach.

if you prefer the RAM mounts, I can make you a great deal on a custom made stem mount for the 1200.  It's the same unit mentioned by St. Stephen in his post.  Picture below.

image.thumb.jpeg.2c62424b98327eb0427acceee1119846.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.458a6f308d81c2af508a7a71e1dd73e3.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Thanks for this informations - saved me a lot of time.  

Marsmann99 - I got so excited, I immediately ordered the Ram stem mount.  If it fails, I will be in touch about the one you fabricated. Is it the same one pictured in the post by St. Stephen?

Thanks again folks.

Have a great Thanksgiving.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, DrSteve said:

Thanks for this informations - saved me a lot of time.  

Marsmann99 - I got so excited, I immediately ordered the Ram stem mount.  If it fails, I will be in touch about the one you fabricated. Is it the same one pictured in the post by St. Stephen?

Thanks again folks.

Have a great Thanksgiving.

Same exact one made by Huntinggunns.  Too bad.  Would have sold it to you for half price, and it has never been used.  I went with the Adaptiv stem mount after our own Luvtoleanit vouched for the brand.

Archived