What lower engine mount/cushion will fit 5th gen?

Stray

• Member Contributer

Hello All, 

It has been said elsewhere on this forum that later generation lower engine mounts (or cushions) can be used to help fit aftermarket rear sets. 

Does anyone know what years will fit a 5th gen? I’ve been looking at the 8th gen ones on eBay but can’t quite decide if they are a match. 

Has anyone tried this before? Any insight welcome. 

Stray

• Member Contributer

6th certainly does. Not sure if anyone has tried an 8G, but the overall engine architecture should be identical between all 800s. The 8G swingarm seems to mount to the 6G cushion with 6G parts (I mocked it all up on my '99)

• Member Contributer
On 21/11/2017 at 6:13 PM, KevCarver said:

The 8G swingarm seems to mount to the 6G cushion with 6G parts (I mocked it all up on my '99)

Thanks KevCarver - I’ll pick one up and try. 

On 21/11/2017 at 7:37 PM, keef said:

there is a bloke on here who is working on rearset adapters for 5th gens, so no need for cushions...

Thanks for the heads-up Keef. 

8th gen cushions often come up cheap on flea bay so it might be a decent alternative to the adapters. Also, they look lighter than the 5th gen items and I’m trying to shed some weight. Every gram counts (he says shovelling another bag of crisps into his pie-hole...). 

Stray 

I just looked on eBay and one is being sold for a Sixth gen, the part number, according to 2WheelPros, is for 2002-2015. 201450475-MCW-D a 2014 rear cushion from a different seller has the same part number. Bike Bandit shows the same year range, so you're good. 

• Member Contributer

There are a lot of parts and things to consider when you do this to a 5th gen.  I have yet to try to mount everything to my '01, so I'm not yet sure I've acquired all of them... 

One thing to note is that the new cushion (6th gen) has one reverse-thread bolt in it, which most breakers seem not to realise--which means that most 6th gen cushions have a broken-off bolt it them!  (Or worse; I've seen them with the boss broken completely off, too.)

Ciao,

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, JZH said:

There are a lot of parts and things to consider when you do this to a 5th gen.  I have yet to try to mount everything to my '01, so I'm not yet sure I've acquired all of them... 

One thing to note is that the new cushion (6th gen) has one reverse-thread bolt in it, which most breakers seem not to realise--which means that most 6th gen cushions have a broken-off bolt it them!  (Or worse; I've seen them with the boss broken completely off, too.)

Ciao,

Hey, you stole my line!

Right side center stand mount bolt is the one. Almost guaranteed to be broken on eBay. 

• Member Contributer
On 11/25/2017 at 6:45 AM, Stray said:

Thanks KevCarver - I’ll pick one up and try. 

Thanks for the heads-up Keef. 

8th gen cushions often come up cheap on flea bay so it might be a decent alternative to the adapters. Also, they look lighter than the 5th gen items and I’m trying to shed some weight. Every gram counts (he says shovelling another bag of crisps into his pie-hole...). 

Stray 

Per what Keep had mentioned...

5 Gen Rearset adatpters

Archived