7 years old battery?

aeroden

Good days ladies and gents,

2010 VFR1200F here (in AU actually).

Looks like my battery has died - though it was on tender, recent heat waves here in AU probably contributed to it and it was weak since I bought the bike a month ago.

I pulled it out trying to understand how old it is. It's YUASA YTZ14S, "Made in Japan", on the other side I found numbers saying "08031043". Does it mean it's from March 3, 2010? I.e. the original that came with the bike?? See some picks below.

Also, while we are here, how do you find Lithium batteries? The latest thread I found on the subject is from 2015, so I guess technology moved on at least a bit since then.

IMG_20171118_230837.jpg

IMG_20171118_230935.jpg

IMG_20171118_230949.jpg

• Member Contributer

7 years is an ok age for a battery.

"The clock" starts counting upon first use.

Nothing to say on the lithium; sticking with traditional ones myself.

5 minutes ago, Dutchy said:

7 years is an ok age for a battery.

OK age?? - that would the damn best age I ever got for acid batteries in any of my vehicles :) Are you saying those number indeed indicate it's from 2010?

Yuasa do quality batteries!

Wifes old bike that I sold a few years back, after been sitting for 5-6 years had a Yuasa battery as we got the bike some 2-3 years erlier, and was not new even then. As I got the bike running before I did put it up for sale, I tought I had to get a new batter becorse the old one was flat and actually fluid level was to low, low enough the plates inside the battery was in the dry at the top. Eventually did add some water to the battery, and started the bike whit cabels as I had not had time to get a new battery. so as I had the bike running for a while, I noticed the battery did take charge, so did let it gharge whit a charger for a few days. So the bike actually sat for a week, did start great whit the same battery, then sat 1½ month before a buyer did turn up, and just tried if it would even turn ower whit that old Yuasa battery, man it turned the starter well and bike just fired up!  Don´t know how long it lasted, as bike got sold, but I have been reading of a low milage CBR600 F1 Hurricane in UK that still had ist oem Yuasa battery in 2015! and still working!

• Member Contributer
On ‎18‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 1:11 PM, aeroden said:

OK age?? - that would the damn best age I ever got for acid batteries in any of my vehicles :) Are you saying those number indeed indicate it's from 2010?

Just swapped out the OEM battery from my 2002!

On the down side the bike has only done 23k miles but still no bad.

• Member Contributer

I am a firm believer in YUASA BATTERIES! Yes, they cost nearly twice as much as the competition, but they really do last twice as long as well.

Yuasa replied saying the battery is from March 20, 2010. I'll bury it with honors and stand a minute of silence as gratitude for its long and devoted service to (motorcycling) humanity.

Seriously though, it's my personal record for a battery lifespan on any of my vehicles, which was previously held by Mazda 3's OEM battery with 5y3m.

Guys on local forum recommended SSB Powersports brand that has a compatible AGM battery for about 70 USD, so I ordered it and we'll see how it goes. Yuasa scores about $180 and lithiums are above USD 200. They may live for another 8 years, but I'm not sure I'll keep the bike for another 8 years :)

Thanks everyone for replies. Particularly about experiences with lithium. Hopefully by the time SSB dies they will be cheaper :)

• Member Contributer

1 hour ago, RC1237V said:

Yeap, but that's not the same battery... ytz14s goes for $146 there.

• Member Contributer

Ouch! For that price, I would go Lithium Ion. I have the 240 CCA Battery Tender version in my RC51 and it has been solid for years - much cheaper than Shorai......

• Member Contributer

SSB PowerSport (aka SuperStart) is virtually unknown outside of Australia.  I don't think they manufacture their own batteries, but as long as they're good, they're good.

Ciao,

Yeah, they are proudly Australian owned and operated (nothing says about "made"). Others tell they last, and I hope they will. The box does not state the country of origin, however these days, you know, pick a random object and 50%(?) chances are it's made in The Country.

• Member Contributer

IMAG9075.thumb.jpg.75c3963af4c36f03b17da5e836c6a59a.jpg

Saw this (travel)programme where visited this factory, places they felt signified Italy. Well..... the place was not the expected hub of activity.. the few staff explained that the actual production moved to (I think) Rumenia. All they do is affix the grip and knob. This then allows the "made in Italy".

fwiw, the coffee tasted great again this morning :-)

• 5 months later...
  • Member Contributer

My Vfr  1200 came with a Deltran battery tender lithium and it is lighter, smaller and that little green guy holds a charge for long periods of time. Longer if fully unplugged from bike.

Archived