Thoughts on the FJ-09?

RobF

• Member Contributer

Winter is a time for maintenance and daydreaming of buying more motorcycles. Along those lines, I find myself very intrigued by Yamaha's FJ-09 (aka Tracer). Aspects of the bike that appeal to me:

• The highly praised three-can power mill
  • A real effort by Yamaha to keep the weight down
  • The amount of bike you would seem to get for the modest price

A bike like this (great engine, low cost, low weight) seems like an ideal platform for building a bike to taste. Take the money you saved and add whatever refinements most appeal: suspension, luggage, custom seat, etc.

Have any members spent time on the FJ? I'd be interested to hear how the riding experience compares with the VFR.

• Member Contributer
Winter is a time for maintenance and daydreaming of buying more motorcycles. Along those lines, I find myself very intrigued by Yamaha's FJ-09 (aka Tracer). Aspects of the bike that appeal to me:

• The highly praised three-can power mill
  • A real effort by Yamaha to keep the weight down
  • The amount of bike you would seem to get for the modest price

A bike like this (great engine, low cost, low weight) seems like an ideal platform for building a bike to taste. Take the money you saved and add whatever refinements most appeal: suspension, luggage, custom seat, etc.

Have any members spent time on the FJ? I'd be interested to hear how the riding experience compares with the VFR.

I've been interested in that bike for several years. Suspension seems to be the weakest link. (Of course most of us have made changes to our VFRs...) The other item that gets mentioned is the fueling, kind of like an on/off switch, but can fixed with a tune.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

I rode on and liked it quite a bit. Plenty of power, really snappy in aggressive mode (A?) much better in mellow mode (B?), and really subdued in rain mode.  The suspension is much better reviewed than the FZ-09, but I could not give it the full test as it was raining off and on during my test ride. Would certainly consider it high on my list.

I have put about 70,000 ks on 2 MT09's over the last 2.5 years. Same bike apart from bodywork, essentially.

Beefier subframe to handle more luggage, as well as the fairing.

A mechanic mate who had a tracer said its the only bike he has owned in years he didn't have to add auxiliary lighting to.

plenty of aftermarket options to fix suspension ranging from a few hundred bucks (springs and valve stack) to all singing, all dancing top end replacement cartridges.

Lots of flashes on the market now, too to smooth it out. The flash was written by lawyers, not riders. It was written for emissions. a Flash fixes all of that. Rapid bike has a harness for the 09's.

The MT has a tiny 14Ltank, but open road riding I have gotten 300ks out of it. The tracer has a 17L tank, so it has a pretty good range, at least 450ks.

I am a big fan of the triple.The MT09 is my everyday ride, and my vfr800 fighter is my project weekend bike. Brilliant bikes.

• Member Contributer

Seems for years i have had several vfr's and Hawks in the garage, and always an "extra" Yamaha. FZ1, then a couple FJR's, then FZ09. FZ09 was great, and FJ09 (Tracer) will be there by next summer. The range, 180mi +/-, and protection were the only let down on the FZ, and the FJ answers both of those. Amazing bike for the $$'s. I miss A-mode.....

Archived