Broken instrument cluster

Lint

So, at the end of September, I crashed my bike. It hit a wall and took quite a wallop!

The white paper connector tabs are broken. My question is, has anyone tried gluing these? The cluster is absurdly expensive used and all I actually need is the white backing plate. 

Any ideas? I don't know what kind of plastic it is, so I don't know which glue to use, or which kind of plastic to try welding it with.

Thanks.

• Member Contributer

if it's anything like the ones on the 4th gens, good luck.    I tried melting them together, plastifix, and epoxy and none worked well enough to be considered a sucessful fix..    I know..  I'm not helpful.   

2 minutes ago, Burns said:

if it's anything like the ones on the 4th gens, good luck.    I tried melting them together, plastifix, and epoxy and none worked well enough to be considered a sucessful fix..    I know..  I'm not helpful.   

It's all good. Maybe I'll email Honda Japan.

Try the plastic welder from Harbor Fright?

Like $10 or $15, worked on my VFR fender cracks for an ugly fix, and on a laundry basket for practice.

Worth a try, imho.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
On 2017-11-16 at 5:32 PM, Lint said:

So, at the end of September, I crashed my bike. It hit a wall and took quite a wallop!

The white paper connector tabs are broken. My question is, has anyone tried gluing these? The cluster is absurdly expensive used and all I actually need is the white backing plate. 

Any ideas? I don't know what kind of plastic it is, so I don't know which glue to use, or which kind of plastic to try welding it with.

Thanks.

Hey Lint.  Just a question but are you talking about needing the white plastic or the gauge housing that all the instruments and everything attach to?

68442823-29EA-4343-9DCD-FF532C54ECC7.jpeg

The white plastic is almost certainly ABS plastic.  The trick with both the Harbor Frieght plastic welder and the Plastex powdered-plastic method is to use the correct material.  In the case of the Harbor Frieght welder all you get with the kit is black colored ABS which isn't very compatible with the harder/stiffer white colored ABS.  If you buy the Harbor Frieght plastic welder kit you should also buy a package of their Harbor Frieght plastic welding rods which contains 3 types of plastic rods including the hard white ABS plastic.

Or if you decide to try Plastex you need to specify their white ABS plastic powder.

I've had good long-term fixes with both methods (when the new plastic is a good match with the original plastic you can get good, strong results).

Archived