London calling...

On top of it all there are maintenance works being done on the railway line so I have to get off before my destination and take a bus which will take much longer than the train would have.

Looks like the seller is willing to pick me up where I have to get off the train instead of having to catch the bus. Very generous and considerate of him. Certainly gives a good impression facilitating gear and pick up! Who ever said they were all Pommy twats? (His words)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I hope it all works out in the end.  It sounds like you've found a good seller, anyway.

The issue with insurance is not that you'll have an accident, but that the police will ask you where you're going if you get a pull for any reason.  And if you are going to or from work (even to the train station) and don't have "commuting", under the UK's ridiculous insurance laws you're completely uninsured.  That's six points, a big fine and seriously increased insurance premiums for at least five years.  Get commuting...

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

And they impound the bike until you pay for it to be released.

Best of luck with this, though I suspect you should be home soon. Hope it went well (and warmly). :beer:

The bike works well. No unusual sounds. No leaks or such. No odd vibrations, not even at speed. Brakes are solid, responsive, smooth, pads are almost new. Chain and sprockets seems in good condition. No cyclic whirring or vibes there. Automatic choke did its job. Charging system does its thing, solid 14.5 V DC with lights on. Actually 14.1 with lights off. Tyres are virtually new. Stainless headers and exhaust in good nick. A few nuts and bolts are rusted as to be expected with a 15 year old bike in England. Couple of marks on the paint but no dings or cracks. Well waxed and shiny. Heated grips tend to work better on right hand side. Left mirror stem needs replacing but it works. Outer petrol tank cap either needs snugging down or the seal needs replacing. He will provide the seals. Bit of water around the overflow collection area under the cap. Gobs of torque. Bit of a gurgle from exhaust on engine braking. Not actually backfiring so not sure it's not normal. High windshield perfect for my 195 cm (6'4") height. Steering bearings I think are alright, not 100% sure, could be the (known) soft front suspension. Plush ride. I'm enjoying the ride home except for my frozen feet. Stopped to defrost. Topbox very handy. I think the bike will serve its workhorse purpose.

Will get commuting included as I already said I would prefer to.

So far so good.

Lights are ample on unlit roads even on low beam.

Just need to adjust seat to high position which apparently is possible.

Smooth in all senses of the word, acceleration, braking, maneuvering.

I'm happy with the bang for the buck. It's too easy to go too fast on this thing. Very fun to ride.

My knees and feet are still frozen even after half an hour in front of heater and radiator.

• Member Contributer

Very nice. I must admit I am partial to the earlier 'curvier' styling.

nice one.

• 2 weeks later...

So it's supposed to be an all terrain trail bike right? She's got dual purpose tyres on. It's been snowing hard all day. Guess it would be looking for trouble...

8f65ba472d35feeb972d71353fdab457.jpg

The photo was taken 8 hours ago. Hasn't stopped snowing since.

Enjoy your toasty warmth indoors Leon.

I must at least go out to get to work and back.

Coming from a Mediterranean climate the last half of my life and a tropical one the first half... I just had to make one of these... ae8586ae333f66ebbc546f296dec3726.jpg

Starting to think I might have to winterize the bike. I thought Oxfordshire was milder. No snow last year.

• Member Contributer
16 hours ago, Skids said:

I shall be commuting in the car tomorrow. :sad:

Me too... didn't fancy the M25 on the bike. took me twice as long but got here safe.

• Member Contributer
40 minutes ago, Woodie said:

Me too... didn't fancy the M25 on the bike. took me twice as long but got here safe.

What takes 45mins on the bike took 1hr 25mins last week, due to the volume of traffic plus the 40mph average speed stretch around the A14 upgrades.

Drove this morning too....snow all over the roads and freezing conditions.

Have already been told by work to delay going in tomorrow as the -12 deg C forecast temperatures on top of the rain/remaining snow today will make the roads an ice rink and not worth the risk to life.

• 2 months later...

Tigress booked in with Hughenden M40 Triumph mechanic for a few mods, reps and preps prior to trip to Spain in April.

Went in person, spoke with Bruce and the mechanic, we went over the bike and I am convinced they know their stuff and have been enjoying and tinkering with Triumphs for decades so feel confident booking her in. Usually do all my own maintenance but currently don't have access to space, tools or time. They were congenial, transparent, knowledgeable, professional, observant to detail and even helped / showed me how to adjust seat and got their hands dirty. No signs of smooth talking, shoddy, slight of hand, bullshitters who will take you for a metaphorical ride.

Of course that could be a wrong impression and I get a steep bill and find bits falling off as I ride out the gate but I think I'm a good enough judge of character. Mechanic seemed very aware of each model's quirks and the creative solution to them.

6b845a28483e41237e7a88a687d03de5.jpg

Sunny day for a change

0c452c5ebb82f4c8bb9c490adc0fb896.jpg

Scarey stuff...

Stopped at Headington shops to get some gnosh for the next couple of days I have off and on returning to the bike and putting my wares into the very convenient topbox this bike came with, a rather vertically challenged and morbidly obese lady with not just eccentric but God-awful ecclectic taste in clothes, Freddy Kruger nails painted vino tinto red and clown-smeared lipstick, approached me suddenly, crossing the street without checking for traffic (cars screaching to a stop to avoid law suits for running her over, sorry to avoid her coming to any harm)... the lady (presumibly) starts spouting accolades of "what a lovely bike" and before I could get my helmet on and claim 'unintentionally' hampered hearing, and between unintelligible comments and questions that found me repeating "Sorry, what?" an awful lot, she states with supreme confidence that my bike had been parked in front of the Angel & Greyhound (pub) last Saturday at midday (about 7 miles from where it was today)... which, astounded and now somewhat concerned for my own safety, I admitted it had been.

> 'Lovely bike... it's one of those (unintelligible word) bikes isn't it?"

>> "Sorry?"

> "Oh nevermind I've made some poor decisions over the course of my life unfortunately. It really is a lovely bike"

By now I've put my helmet on and make gestures to the fact I'm having trouble making out her words.

> "I dont wish to pry into your private life but you do realize..." her eyes giving her thoughts away as she glanced to the ground below the bike.

>> "Yes I know" I interjected (I had seen the small puddle on occasion lately and just now on approaching the bike and have booked the biked in to the mechanic's).

> "...you're leaking petrol, do you not?""

>> "Yes, yes. I'm fully aware, no drama, getting it fixed."

> "It's the bottom right bolt not the other one... absolutely lovely bike!!"

>> "I know I know... well I must be going..."

> "Oh I do apologize... lovely bike!!"

She actually put out her hand in an obvious way, so I rapidly and lightly shook it, wished her all the best and then, determinedly, mounted the bike, turned the engine over, flipped the blinker and merged into traffic.

These Triumph Tigers are chick magnets. Psycho-freak-crazy chick magnets but magnets all the same!!

Rode off wondering why hadn't it been the tall, leggy, tight-jeaned, tanned, blonde pony-tailed, blue-eyed attractive one who was coming into the supermarket as I was leaving and made eye-contact with me, instead of the bag lady.

Is it me? Is it the bike? Is it the full moon?

More importantly, should I lock the windows at night?

P80114-163331.jpg

• Member Contributer

Tiger in the rut, marking its territory, attracting an oversized cougar.

Classic David Attenborough :goofy:

Archived