London calling...

This is a shout out to UK members for advice and info on paperwork required for buying a bike in England via private sale.

How do I organize transfer of ownership?

Can I get tentative insurance organized previously to ride the bike home if it ticks all the boxes? Which insurance mob would you recommend?

Is there a standard contract of sale I can print out to formalize the purchase? Is there also a form I get the previous owner to sign and then take somewhere to register the transfer or ownership?

Anything else red tape wise?

Going to Isle of Wight to see and hopefully ride away on a bike this Saturday.

I have asked for the registration number to run vehicle history check but is this just via DVLA, or police or where? Online I imagine there are options.

Do V5Cs apply to bikes? I'm fairly certain they do and I seem to be reading information online stating that the previous owner must send in the V5C to the DVLA having given me what I imagine is a tear off section 10 as proof on taking the bike home with me.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

If you and the owner know each other already (and the rules are similar in your country, you could do what Keny and I did.

I owned (had bought) a VF500F2 for Keny. It was registered and insured by me.

Keny flew to Holland and rode it back to Finland. My insurance cover allows anyone with a valid EU licence to ride my vehicles.

Once Keny had passed Finnish inspection and got it registered, he emailed me a copy of the Finnish registration which allowed me to then end the Dutch registration and insurance.

Keny had transferred the buying price in advance, so should he break it, he already paid it! :-)

• Member Contributer

The reason was insurance cover.... If I had sold the bike officially in NL, ending the registration then, he could get an export plate FOR NL ONLY, as they did away with EU valid export plates. So he'd have to get a German, Danish and Swedish one.....

Or ride home illegally....

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, Auspanglish said:

This is a shout out to UK members for advice and info on paperwork required for buying a bike in England via private sale.

How do I organize transfer of ownership?

Can I get tentative insurance organized previously to ride the bike home if it ticks all the boxes? Which insurance mob would you recommend?

Is there a standard contract of sale I can print out to formalize the purchase? Is there also a form I get the previous owner to sign and then take somewhere to register the transfer or ownership?

Anything else red tape wise?

Going to Isle of Wight to see and hopefully ride away on a bike this Saturday.

I have asked for the registration number to run vehicle history check but is this just via DVLA, or police or where? Online I imagine there are options.

Do V5Cs apply to bikes? I'm fairly certain they do and I seem to be reading information online stating that the previous owner must send in the V5C to the DVLA having given me what I imagine is a tear off section 10 as proof on taking the bike home with me.

First of all, I'm very pleased to see that you're getting back in the saddle!  :cheerleader:

On to UK bike buying:

Bikes also have V5C forms.  You will provide your details to the seller, who is responsible for informing the DVLA (but you must retain the tear-off section).  If you do not get a V5C in your name within a couple of weeks, you must follow up with the DVLA.  The transition period between owners is a dangerous time for traffic fines, etc., as the DVLA records won't be updated and important post can go astray, so keep on top of this.  You don't have to take the bike or the paperwork anywhere--it's now all done by post--the DVLA closed all of their local offices years ago anyway!

Insurance can be arranged beforehand on the VIN or the Reg. No.  I use Footman James and eBike, but mainly because of their multi-bike policies.  I don't know if they're the best/cheapest.  Shop around online and you should be fine.  Day-cover is also available, but I have never used it.

You can use any ol' format for a bill of sale, really.  It's not even necessary to have one, but I was asked to produce one when I was trying to import my bikes into Hong Kong several years ago.  In the UK it is not relevant because the V5C specifically disclaims ownership capabilities (it's just a record of the "registered keeper" of the vehicle, not its ownership).  It's probably a good idea to include: the seller's name, signature and address (you may not otherwise have a record of this), the bike's VIN and Reg. No., your name, signature and address, the sale price (marked "received" or "paid") and the date and time of the sale.  You keep it.  If the seller wants a copy, they can photocopy it, or you can use two.

Unused tax is now automatically refunded to the seller upon notification of the sale, so the new owner ALWAYS needs to re-tax the vehicle ASAP.  This can be done at the Post Office or (I think) online.  The MOT will run until its normal expiration, after which you must take the bike to an MOT station and get it tested (once it's three years old).

There are a couple of history check services, MCN runs one.  It's probably a good idea to pay for this on a new-ish bike that could be under finance.  If the seller doesn't actually own it (e.g., it's on some kind of lease), there will be problems...

(Btw, if you find that you need to stop off in SE London, get in touch--do you have my phone number?  I also have a van...not sure an A-Twin will fit in it, though!)

Ciao,

No way am I riding that bike on public roads without insurance that is a Recipe For Disaster.

This time it is a case of buying in the UK and using in the UK so I'm not Crossing any borders either.

I don't know the owner and we haven't met yet and I'm starting to get cold feet when my enquiries are only answered in part, very briefly, very few details. He promised he'd get me photos yesterday he didn't. Says he leaves for work in the dark and arrives home in the dark (so why say you'll take photos if you know you can't?).

I asked him for the reg number yesterday and he said ok give me a couple of minutes and I haven't heard anything since. So this all may very well be true, he hasn't had the opportunity to get any photos and maybe he was really tired from a long day's work and fell asleep before sending me the reg, but he hasn't sent it to me this morning either and I've said I'm very interested in the bike, although obviously I'm not until I actually physically see the bike and start it up and see it running and at least ride it a couple of hundred metres to see if the thing works. He claims he accepted it as part payment on another bike that he was selling that he has had it for 6 months and the clock says about 49000 miles.

I only want the bike as a commuter to and from work I don't intend to do any long-distance trips on this bike and it will suffer the winter salt on the roads. It's actually a Honda Transalp XL600 from 1994. He says it starts up easily with a little choke because it winter and it blows no smoke. Of course it's all his word I am yet to see the bike. It could be just a nice day trip down to the Isle of Wight and back without buying a bike, it's just hard to tell if he's a simple Island kind of guy or if he is deliberately being sparse with his replies.

He is asking 850 quid which would appear to be the price this make and model are going for. There's another one online at a similar price but it only has daytime mot as it has no rear indicators and also the owner is very young and he has put this excessively massive exhaust muffler at a ridiculous angle I just want a bike I can jump on and ride and not have to perform any modifications on or revisit the Mot with new blinkers.

This is the photo, the only photo that I have so far:

JZH thank you for the legal run down interesting how Concepts change so we no longer own our bikes we are but their Guardians it sounds very Australian aboriginal they claim they do not own the land but are its caretakers. it also sounds like the new system may generate some complaints if the entire process is down to the previous owner sending paperwork on so you have paid the owner you have left with the bike but then you may find they do not follow through with the paperwork and claimed their bike back this is why I want a bill of sale even though you say it's unnecessary I would like proof that I purchased the bike from the other person. I can see the running costs of the DVLA we're too much for the budget and they found a way to let it run itself so to speak.

I'm not sure if I have your phone number but I'm starting to become more attracted to a 2004 Triumph Tiger 955 for £2,000 via a dealer only an hour from where I live, instead of three to four hours to the Isle of Wight. A dealer may be a little more confidence inspiring and hopefully will involve at least a 3 month warranty. It's 10 years younger, it's fuel injected, this model was the highest scorer amongst its peers in most motorcycle reviews when it came out. It's got a top box, it's got hand warmers it appears to be in better condition and is probably more reliable.

My concern with a 1994 Transalp is whether or not spare parts are still available which I haven't checked and if something goes wrong with the bike if I can't get the spare parts and there's none second-hand then I get stuck with a hot potato that I can't pass on and I think a more modern fuel injected bike maybe easier to sell on when I finally leave the island of Little Dribbling.0821f2fdadbf6bacb4e27477e026adb9.jpgbcb7a650384fdb909f2d971e2ad23320.jpg

• Member Contributer

Ahh chips!!! I foolishly thought yous were in Spain still....

Duh!!!!

My excuse? hdd failure on personal laptop. It was a mere 4 years old....

• Member Contributer

To confirm JZH's point, you CAN tax the bike online once you have bought it (or before I guess). Worth looking at the website beforehand to familiarise yourself with the process.

Link here. Us the reference number on the tear off V5/C the current owner gives you. 

However, if you are buying from a dealer then it all becomes a lot easier!

Best of luck.

• Member Contributer
On 11/16/2017 at 3:58 PM, Skids said:

To confirm JZH's point, you CAN tax the bike online once you have bought it (or before I guess). Worth looking at the website beforehand to familiarise yourself with the process.

Just to emphasise that you must tax the bike (online, by post or in person) BEFORE riding it on a public road in the UK.  Because vehicle tax no longer transfers with the vehicle, it is effectively cancelled as soon as the seller notifies the DVLA that they have sold or scrapped the vehicle, which THEY can do online as well.  The only relevant exception to this is riding to (and from) a pre-booked MOT appointment or other inspection, as well as to (and from) a pre-booked repair appointment (if the vehicle had failed the inspection).  This is in the Motor Vehicle Tests Regulations 1981 s.6(2).  

It is clear that, with some planning ahead, a vehicle that does not have a valid MOT (so long as it is otherwise "roadworthy") can be ridden to a pre-booked MOT appointment, and there is no requirement that the appointment be at the closest MOT station.  I like to use the one near my house...in particular the one that would require me to ride right by my house if I'm coming from the direction where I bought the bike.  This is because riding it home (or to any other repair place) without first failing an MOT is not an exception to the tax/MOT requirement. 

What is not quite so clear is if this exemption also applies when the vehicle in question has a current MOT, or is less than three years old and doesn't need an MOT.  The exemption isn't explicitly limited to vehicles that the law says must be inspected--perhaps you might want to have it inspected for peace-of-mind purposes--but this would be a riskier thing to defend in court...

In any case, you MUST also have insurance before riding any bike; this can be arranged in advance, before you even own the vehicle.

Ciao,

Most  excellent advice chaps!  Thanks muchly. Online sounds the easiest; transfer, tax and insurance. I've found another bike I'm pretty much convinced on. I'm going British for the first time. Tiger 955i. Near Hastings, this Saturday hopefully.

Need to get boots, gloves and helmet beforehand as all my gear is in Spain; having my very warm and toasty IXS textile two piece sent over though.

S71120-220718.jpg

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Auspanglish said:

Most  excellent advice chaps!  Thanks muchly. Online sounds the easiest; transfer, tax and insurance. I've found another bike I'm pretty much convinced on. I'm going British for the first time. Tiger 955i. Near Hastings, this Saturday hopefully.

Need to get boots, gloves and helmet beforehand as all my gear is in Spain; having my very warm and toasty IXS textile two piece sent over though.

Nice, I am looking for a Tiger to replace My Sprint Gt but want the later 1050. Just waiting for someone to crash one first...

Nice, I am looking for a Tiger to replace My Sprint Gt but want the later 1050. Just waiting for someone to crash one first...

The 1050 is a very nice bike, one of my best mates had it for several years before recently moving onto the 1200. It's maneuverable, easy to ride fast, gobs of well dosified power in any gear, ABS, good wind protection for the rider, but his pillion wife got battered around by turbulence and he got a great offer for the fully electronically adjustable 2016 1200cc model second hand.

Was tempted by a 2014 1200cc at £6000 but really can't justify the cost and it's a waste of so much bike I'll only be commuting on 20 minutes each way 3 or 4 times a week and the odd outing (very infrequently over winter for sure).

• Member Contributer
37 minutes ago, Auspanglish said:

The 1050 is a very nice bike, one of my best mates had it for several years before recently moving onto the 1200. It's maneuverable, easy to ride fast, gobs of well dosified power in any gear, ABS, good wind protection for the rider, but his pillion wife got battered around by turbulence and he got a great offer for the fully electronically adjustable 2016 1200cc model second hand.

Yeah, the 1050 is the same engine as in my Sprint and it's a stonker. Pick a gear, any gear...it'll pull. I was looking at one to replaced my Sprint ST but the GT came up and it was too good to miss. Less than 4K on the clock, a year old and only minor damage for half the going rate.  He has now done 35k without missing a beat.

Wifey doesn't need wind protection as she has her own beastie...

As my Viffer now takes on the commuting role I can afford to wait for the right one to come up. Lots of Tiger 800's but I want the 1050.

I'm seeing that the insurance mob Bennetts is offering breakdown cover, overseas riding and riding other bikes on the back of compulsory, voluntary third party insurance, so not comprehensive but that's ok, for £12.43 per month. Does that sound good? Seems good to me. I could pay £8.33 without the breakdown cover but much prefer roadside assistance.

I should be heading down Hastings way on Sunday 99% certain I'll be riding the bike home

the annoying thing is from Oxford to Hastings it's only a couple of hours on a bike but it will probably take me four and a half hours by train into London and then down from Victoria Station to Bexhill on Sea

edit I have also a quote for £13.30 full comprehensive same as the other one but with comprehensive cover

• Member Contributer

I always go comprehensive rather than third party, fire & theft as my bikes aren't cheap to replace. If you are happy that your bike wont be replaced/remunerated, then go for the cheaper one.

Best of luck with the bike. Let us know how you get on.

• Member Contributer
17 hours ago, Skids said:

I always go comprehensive rather than third party, fire & theft as my bikes aren't cheap to replace. If you are happy that your bike wont be replaced/remunerated, then go for the cheaper one.

Best of luck with the bike. Let us know how you get on.

Ditto on the Fully Comp insurance.

Hopefully, you'll be going around London, rather than through it!

Ciao,
The quickest way to get there appears to be via Victoria Station. Using bus and then train, or train-tube-train.

On the way back, on the bike, obviously I'll take a more direct route. My Tomtom GPS will guide me home.

I can't work out whether I can pay the tax before I have the tear off slip from the V5C or not. Bloody red tape.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-direct-debit
9aec297c67ccab1dec2ae862c39f1bdf.jpg

• Member Contributer

According to gov.uk, you will need to have the green ‘new keeper’s details’ slip (V5C/2) from a log book, but then you can tax your vehicle online here.  The slip contains a Doc Ref number that you will need.  There is supposedly also a telephone number that is open 24-7 for tax payments: 0300 123 4321

The weather today looks pretty good (if a bit nippy).  I hope you have a great ride back!

Ciao,

According to gov.uk, you will need to have the green ‘new keeper’s details’ slip (V5C/2) from a log book, but then you can tax your vehicle online here.  The slip contains a Doc Ref number that you will need.  There is supposedly also a telephone number that is open 24-7 for tax payments: 0300 123 4321   The weather today looks pretty good (if a bit nippy).  I hope you have a great ride back!

Ciao,

Yes, I finally came across the info regarding needing a green slip. I hope they don't mean one of those in the attached picture.  381d262a43ec49a56737516edde9887d.jpg

I actually got a slightly better (by 40p) quote on (comprehensive) insurance selecting social and commuting use versus merely social. Odd. Unfortunately I seem to have clicked on the latter option and will try to swap it over by calling them, or by email, as I'd rather the description of the use I give the bike be as accurate as possible, although if I did break down while commuting I can always say I was on a day trip somewhere. As a nurse I don't work the typical 9-5, Monday to Friday schedule.

Yes it's sunny, very few clouds but nippy, as in nipples are harder than Chinese algebra. That is an understatement for a guy who grew up in the tropics and spent the last 15 years on the Mediterranean coastline. At least the rain has held off until tomorrow.

aade9fada6c6d08e3c3bbf06625c6ab5.jpg

Thankfully the bike has heated grips and hand protectors/deflectors so that'll help. Could do with a heated seat. My toasty Swiss brand (IXS) textile suit would keep me warm if it had arrived on time. The soon-to-be previous owner is sorting me out with some secondhand gear. He has also ordered some spare parts for me but they haven't arrived either so he'll be sending them on.

Neither of us have been able to get our printers working so we will have to go without the bill of sale. I figure it's surplus to requirements. From what you've all mentioned and what I've read with the tear-off section of the V5C I'm sorted. Tax once I've got that (I assume that is the green slip).

The question is, will there be enough hours of sunlight left to press "avoid motorways" or "scenic route" on the GPS for the trip back on the bike?

Nope. Missed previous train by minutes which means arriving two hours later, which was the window of sunlight I had to get back to Oxford. Will be travelling in the dark at significantly colder temperatures. Bugger. Thank science for GPS devices, navigating unknown territory in the dark is that much more difficult.

If this were the amazing race I'd use the express pass.

I need a packet of Manup pills...

• Member Contributer

Speak to Keny from Finland...  he came to my house to pick up the VF500F2 I bought on his behalf.

He rode it in 23 hours, 1600km to Stockholm in time to catch the ferry.  At night he had like 3c in a rainy southern sweden...

Safe travels pal!!!

PS: my pal from Scotland is still blabberdasted when he sees our train schedules here. Back home, if he misses the train to glasgow, half his day is gone....

Archived