Which way does the front secondary master spring ball valve go?

Urbanengineer

This should be the same for 5th and 6th gen VFRs, And maybe more. 

I have a 2002 in rebuilding the front secondary master on and I didn’t pay enough attention while taking it apart. There is this green filter bit that has a spring and ball in it. Any idea which way it is supposed to oriented?

It’s some sort of valve that opens when the secondary master is applied. Not sure if the ball shluld be in the open circuit or the closed one. The direction it is currently facing (the face) is correct being up. The back has indents. 

pictures attached of the two options. The bottom hole on the caliper bracket is the through one to the Master cylinder plunger. 

A00CE65E-5A08-4783-8DC4-D71679A0F004.jpeg

45E71BA8-A41C-4683-8138-9972B15567C9.jpeg

It should be positioned to prevent oil flow back 'up' the line to the master reservoir (on the right-side bar) when the caliper moves forward to compress the secondary master cylinder.  

- you have entered into an area even the factory manual does not describe.  Stop it already :goofy:.

That would make a lot of sense, as pressing the rear brake and building pressure seems to lock the front brakes too. This meets up with a banjo bolt though, no? That’s why I’m confused.

Maybe the PO had this installed backwards also? It would make sense it was in the way of the air return... I think. 

I have a braking problem id really like to fix, and bike is currently at the dealer for the factory front harness recall!

thanks buds! And lol vfrpower about me going too far into it :). 

Archived