Why a red Guzzi?

You may have asked (I realize nobody asked) why I have a 1980 Moto Guzzi 1000sp. Well, I'll tell you.

Because Guzzis  are very groovy and collectable. The model I have was introduced to compete with the first real (argueably)sport-touring bike, the BMW R100RS. It is in my opinion, the VFR of its day. Quick, but not a world beater, comfy, great handling and good at what it does. You can ride this bike to Alaska and since it is 90% the same As a LeMans, it can scratch too.

So if you will allow, I thought I would chronicle my time with this Italian bird. I rescued it from a cafe conversion, and I am almost done putting it back to stock.

Let me know your thoughts.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has your desire for espresso or cappuccino increased since owning it?

OK, now I get it:

Image result for 1980 Moto Guzzi 1000sp rider

...you may not want Matt's help with the front calipers.

• Member Contributer

Aye, wouldn't mind getting my leg over...

And Guzzis are groovy, even borroewed ones..

IMAG7322.thumb.jpg.5b8f3e356c0efa76acbf4ea68f6e997c.jpg

Had a custom painted helmet back in the days.... :-)

IMAG7324.thumb.jpg.33f526640cae5e7d365bf8f094bc261f.jpg

Was that a cafe conversion that you started Timmy? Seriously, it looks pretty cool and will be truly badass when it is all black.

No, a fella in Baltimore started the conversion, but at least he saved 99% of the stock bits.  I got a groovy Ducati 900SS half fairing thrown in also.  These bikes, as I said, share almost all of their DNA with the mighty LeMans, in fact the frame is identical.  A good example of a Mk I LeMans will cost you way north of 10,000 bucks.  So people got to taking an SP1000 and cutting it up and putting LeMans bodywork on them and now we have a ton of LeMans clones.  BUT......

The SP1000 was designed in a wind tunnel and is 1000cc as apposed to the LeMans 850cc. In fact, the Mark II looked very similar to the SP. It isnt faster, because LeMans had bigger valves, higher compression and gigantic pumper carbs, but an SP is less busy and is described as "Long Legged".  An added benefit is that  following the carving up of all the SPs, they are now, unintentionally getting rare, especially with all the stock stuff on it.

One can turn any ol Tonti frame Guzzi into a cafe bike, but I wanted the mighty SP.  The riders compartment is cocooned in an envelope of still air, while the V-twin rumbles along.  It is so fun.  Also, in case anyone is alarmed at the rotors, they are cast iron Brembo and they rust overnight, and it is part of the design.

The linked brakes:  When you pull the brake lever, you get the right front rotor.  When You hit the pedal, you get the front left rotor and the rear rotor.  Sounds wacky, but when you use both front and rear together it stops rapidly. This example also had stainless lines already fitted, so boom.  It also has unobtainium BUB exhaust, Koni shocks, SP-NT footrest hangers, groovy Metzelers, and electronic ignition.  I added the period correct Krauser bags, the fork boots and the solo seat.  Nothing is cut, and the stock seat can go back on with 4 bolts.

23519110_10214936906275880_3905250264611777027_n.jpg

• Member Contributer

Mark I, calipers in front of forks, check!!

Overnight rusted rotors, check! Even on the LMV

In the 70's and 80's, Guzzi was owned by DeTomaso of Pantera fame. He also owned Benelli and Masarati.  The part sharing was on. If you look at any Benelli from the time, you will see Guzzi forks, wheels, switchgear and lights. The gauges were always Veglia like Norton-Villers-Triumph were always made by Smith's. If you really do your research, other oddities come up like the starter motor having the same part number as a Fiat Brava and the key blanks being the same as a Yugo.  But the best part was that the brakes were always Brembo, and mirrored what Ducati was equipping at the moment. So after some research, I took a chance on some period plastic brake and clutch levers. No idea what they are like, but thanks to the popularity of Brembo, they exist. I'll let you know if they are garbage or cool.

• Member Contributer

Love it, currently have a '71 Ambassador mid restoration, then I might get a California II to replace my V11 Sport. Love the 80's Guzzi! 

• 4 weeks later...

Well what do you know......I made a deal on a guzzi board to swap the red and black seat on my bike for a stock item. I met the dude in a parking lot after work. We made the swap, then he showed me a bunch of photos of my bike. !?!?

Turns out, he sold the bike to the guy i bought it from. Very cool, no?  I learned:

It was a frame-off restoration with a 1980 CX100 motor installed (only 385 of those were ever made). It has all stainless brake lines, all new ferodo pads, custom repaint, a powerlet, electronic ignition, dyna coils, koni shocks, biturbo shock cartriges, telefix fork brace, Bub exhaust, SP2 footrest hangers, new metzelers and it had only gained 200 miles since he sold it.

Cool to get the info, espescially since it was all good.

I have added saddlebags, solo or stock twin seat, stock mirrors and fork gaiters. Now I am almost done gathering up a second set of the bodywork to have it painted..................BRG !!!!!!

Happy.

• Member Contributer

Sounds like you ran across a great one! But I think we need more pictures!

• Member Contributer

At least it is not the typical tear drop cruiser tank, looks a little UFO inspired.  Which Guzzi is that off?

Tank is same on 90% of all tonti frame guzzi. SP, Convert, G5, T3 etc. Used on 76ish to 96ish. Interestingly, guzzu would add/delete stripes and panels to fool the eye, but it was the same shape an all but the lemans. They often painted the very bottom, so some if it" dissapeared ". It is a wacky shape that has no real reason for being, and that is one of the reasons i like it so much. Another cool thing is they mount with no bolts. A tab goes under a rubber bung on each side of the front, and a rubber strap holds down the back.

Moto-Guzzi-850-T3-IJ.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

1e692d60343798421f7bdf6689651147--moto-guzzi-moped.jpg

• Member Contributer

Not boring at all, I will be in the market for either a California II or a Quota (or both) once my leg heals from my V11 incident, I am using my Ambassador as a sort of mental rehab until I can ride again.

IMG_20170812_165442-2_1.jpg

• Member Contributer

That's the one, I'm a sucker for the dual headlights. A buddy bought a TDM and that would be a good equivalent.  I think I remember that one in Maryland, seems it went quick, or did it end up on feebay?

Archived