Tire advice for 5th gen

MooseMoose

• Member Contributer

Hey guys, another tire thread. But I have an odd issue.

Most important question up front to be clear -- should I get another front tire and use up the rest of the rear? Or get a set?

The story: I have Pilot Road 3s on now. The previous owner put them on and I'm guessing had 1000 miles, but the rear was plugged and leaking so I put on a new rear.

My rear looks good. Damned near new. I've abused it a little and it's more than predictable enough a tire, even if it isn't most people's favorite.  The front is warn to the wear bars near the middle, almost to the wear bars in the middle, and the profile is getting uncomfortable. It amazes me the difference here -- how worn out the front is compared to the rear. I'm NOT a heavy braking guy, and the front probably has 5000 miles on it, with the rear having 4000-4200 or so.

Anyway, that's why I wonder, should I get a front and use up the back? The rear HAS to have 4K left on it. Or should I eat the cost and get front and rear in a different model tire?

Also, if I do so, what's the current (2017) recommendation for when I get a new pair?

I'm not a racer, ride on the street but don't commute, and I do spirited mountain rides but have not touched the pegs in the 8 months since I got the bike set up well. The next set won't be for the track and I'd rather they last 6000+miles before they flatten out. Pretty much anything will work for me, but I have no idea if my local riding is going to flatten out the Corso III or if the Angel/Diablo is really worth $100 more than the M7rr, or if the Pilot Road 4 matches better than the 3s do (which they should at their price).

• Member Contributer

If you are happy with the current PR3 then I'd suggest just replacing the front with another PR3 or a PR4.

If you decide to get new front & rear then go for the new Pilot Road 5. But, then I am a fan of Michelin's PP and PR series, and have found they give decent grip & mileage, and feel great on my VFRs.

• Member Contributer

I love the PR2's. Less expensive, 10,000 mile life for me and good in all weather rain included. I've had more than a half dozen over the years, with one exception, and have in the past had unmatched front / rear brands and prefer to have a set of new matched tires every time now.

• Member Contributer

I'm definitely NOt happy with the front PR3.   When I get a new set I won't get them again as the way this thing wore is just unacceptable. After I posted I read more elsewhere on the internets and I'm not the only one unhappy with the uneven wear. The only way I'd get a PR3 again is if I was expecting to get shit life so I threw them and the rear away and moved on.

As for recommendations, I didn't even know there was such a thing as the Road 5. Revzilla doesn't carry them. I don't think they exist in the real world yet.

Glad to hear the PR2 still accounts itself well. It is a lot cheaper for the rears, too. I read DucV4 was running PR4 rear with a Power3 front and getting good mileage. And looking at profiles I don't think I will have a problem throwing a road 2 or road 4 on the front. I could throw out the pair in the spring, when the rear wears out, and be happy.

Going to have to ruminate on this. I don't mind spending money on good tires but it feels so wasteful throwing out that rear.

• Member Contributer

As for recommendations, I didn't even know there was such a thing as the Road 5. Revzilla doesn't carry them. I don't think they exist in the real world yet.

All the major shops and retailers will have them in stock and available to buy starting January 1st

So says Michelin.

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, MooseMoose said:

I'm definitely NOt happy with the front PR3.   When I get a new set I won't get them again as the way this thing wore is just unacceptable. After I posted I read more elsewhere on the internets and I'm not the only one unhappy with the uneven wear. The only way I'd get a PR3 again is if I was expecting to get shit life so I threw them and the rear away and moved on.

Glad to hear the PR2 still accounts itself well. It is a lot cheaper for the rears, too. I read DucV4 was running PR4 rear with a Power3 front and getting good mileage. And looking at profiles I don't think I will have a problem throwing a road 2 or road 4 on the front. I could throw out the pair in the spring, when the rear wears out, and be happy.

Going to have to ruminate on this. I don't mind spending money on good tires but it feels so wasteful throwing out that rear.

Did I hear my name?...Yeah, I much prefer the PP3 front over the PR fronts and based on the past few mixed combo sets, the PP3s actually give me the same mileage that I get out of the PR rear! Right now I’m track riding my 5 Gen and just bought a Pilot RS set and like them a lot. Most likely, the next set for my 6 Gen will be a PRS front with a PR5 rear!

Not that I use the 6 Gen for sport riding a lot, I have been know to give it go on the twisty stuff and keep a good pace. I think the PP3 gives me a better feeling than the PR fronts ever did, I also trust them more and so I worry less about over extending the front, which gives me more confidence in the corners.

• Member Contributer

Good to know Duc, thanks.

And yes, you heard your name.  I read what people write here and appreciate the advice and experience. Especially with tires, which have changed (for the better) an awful lot over the last 15 years. 

I think I'm going to try the Power RS front soon, then a few weeks later a PR4 or PR5 rear if it is actually available January 1.

My problem is that I want to do some maintenance in December, I want to ride it through Thanksgiving when I actually have a little time, but this front is getting worse. I just did a little fueling tweak yesterday so the bike is running good and the weather was so lovely so I accidentally put another 150 miles on the thing while doing what was supposed to be a short test ride. You know how it goes.  Now it's just uncomfortable with the front profile getting weird. I can't wait until January.

Anyway, I'm thinking of doing my forks in December and I want to paint the rear wheel which has some chips in it, so I'll toss the rear tire while the bike is on blocks and get a replacement when I get it back together. Seems wasteful, but I'll have gotten 5K by then and I'd rather start with a mostly matched set.

Archived