How to lift RC36 to replace shock without centerstand?

CharlieFoxtrot

Hey y'all--

I'm anxiously awaiting arrival of my 929 shock from Jamie!  How should I lift the bike to install it when I don't have a centerstand?  Does a typical motorcycle jack even work on our bikes?  The catalog photos always show them under a Harley...  What's your preferred jack?  Other helpful tips?

This is my second bike w/o a centerstand.  The first was an RC26 with a Hindle, so a centerstand was impossible.  This one has no excuse, and I don't like it....   :(

Thanks

kevin

• Member Contributer

Do you still have the passenger footpeg brackets?  A pair of jackstands under them is fairly stable (assuming you can get the bike lifted up there somehow!) 

I have an OEM center stand with the heavy bracket, but I usually use an ABBA stand, which attaches to the swing arm pivots.  Harley hefters are only stable holding agricultural double cradle frames.  I've seen people balance modern bikes on them, but that's always seemed rather foolish to me.

Ciao,

• 1 month later...

I just ordered the Abba Superbike Stand Front & Rear Package.  

Not only did I need a stand that would allow me to change the shock (my Pitbull doesn't), I need to get the forks off, so that means buying a second stand.  For $275 with the Abba, I can take the shock off, take the forks off (possibly not at the same time, but that's OK) and do all the other maintenance the Pitbull allowed.   

Now off to the classifieds, Craigslist and Ebay to list the Pitbull for sale...  

• Member Contributer

With the optional "front lift arm" you can lift the front. With the rear shock out, you cannot use the swingarm to pull the rear down. But use a longer strap to the subframe.

Or place a small jack (with a bit of wood) under the oilpan, up enough to raise the front.

Archived