VFR History Lesson Required!

breandawg

Hi all,

This has long been my go-to VFR resource. I'm the proud owner of my third 5th gen pearl shining yellow VFR800FiX (and there can only be a handful in all of Ireland!). With the exception of an enjoyable foray into Kawasaki ownership with a 2005 ZX6R, I've been served exclusively by VFR's.

Anywho, hoping you good folks here can help me with a query I have. The bike is an X model (confirmed with the underseat sticker, so 99 model year), is 2001 registered (not too unusual I guess, slow moving dealer stock?), and has the original catalytic converter stickers on it's bodywork (the units themselves not being present as it has a full stainless system with a hi level carbon can).

It was my understanding that only later model VFR800's had a cat, from at least the Y model on, am I right? It has the manual choke/fast idle lever.

This nagging doubt in my mind has me thinking of all sorts of potential horror stories - to my reasonably well trained eye it's not a Frankenstein's monster of a bike, previously crashed or cobbled together, it's in fantastic condition and rides brilliantly, doesn't have suspiciously low mileage, etc.

Pic shows the stickers on the tail section.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

20170901_191105.jpg

• Member Contributer

I'd guess it was a German or Swiss import, but with Y2k mirrors fitted.  Those markets got catalyst-equipped bikes before the ROW got them in 2000, and the system was also called HECS3.  Maybe the VIN would reveal the answer?  What is the first part of it?  If I'm right it should start JH2RC46B (Germany) or JH2RC46C (Switzerland), JH2RC46A if I'm not...

The catalyst-equipped European models shared the same cams as the other bikes, but they have different exhaust systems and different PGM-FI units.  (Search the other US VFR forum for  the phrase "unleash the factory power" for more information than you will ever want about these differences...)  There are the usual issues with imports, such as the headlights and speedometers, but also the unfortunate fact that imports from Germany and Switzerland were down slightly on power, according to Honda's 2000 Press Information document:

The exhaust system for the current HECS3 system [meaning the 1999 FiX model] overcomes this problem by using narrower tubing to help accelerate this pre-heating process. This may be a competent fix, but the smaller tubing has the additional effect of restricting maximum power output somewhat, so the HECS3 version of the VFR ended up being approximately 8PS down in maximum power compared to the standard version.

Honda VFR800FiY Press Information.pdf

The bike looks to be in fantastic condition--congratulations!

Ciao,

Jeez Louise, couldn't ask for a quicker or more detailed reply than that - cheers!

JH2RC46B is indeed the beginning of the chassis number (RC46E engine number if that makes the picture clearer still?). Also, the speedometer reads in km/h - I can't remember whether my previous VFR's were in mph or not.

Very odd if it is a German model, I did a history check prior to buying the bike and no mention of it having been imported. Mind you, come to think of it, it was sold from a dealer in 2001 that I know for a fact at the time was parallel importing Hondas (much to the annoyance of the Honda distributor in Ireland)...

I guess this gives me some piece of mi d anyway. And thank you, it is indeed in great nick, only 2 previous owners (in Ireland at least...) and now fully kitted out for everyday use through the Winter!

On the shopping list are a Sargent seat, braided lines, a Nitron shock (I'm told they're developing VFR specific cartridge kits for early 2018 too), a carbon fiber hugger and maybe a Pipercross filter...plenty there to blow my megre wage packet on! Givi rack and topbox recently fitted.

Just added a MRA Vario Touring Screen - big difference, handy for taller riders (see below)

20171104_151032.jpg

20171103_131946.jpg

20170918_191159.jpg

Over here in the U.S.A. we have the California-specific JH2RC461 that is down on power due to emission control changes to the engine (rather than the exhaust).  They're relatively few so it's easy to find a JH2RC460 which is the 49-state model.  5th generation specific, I don't know about other generations.

• Member Contributer
46 minutes ago, KevCarver said:

I saw a European import '98-'99 over here once that had a cat/con. I think we figured out it came from France, but not 100% sure. 

According to my ROW Honda Parts Catalogue, French-spec bikes had the normal '98-'99 exhaust.  French market bikes used to be restricted to 100PS, but it wasn't via the cat (probably by PGM-FI unit).

Ciao,  

Archived