94 VFR Oil leak at gear shifter, very slow drip, can it be changed while full?

NateV8

My '94 VFR has a slow oil leak at the gear shifter. I believe it is just an O-ring gasket that has been the same part number across the 1st, 2nd and 3rd gen VFRs. 

My mechanic told me earlier this year that it is an easy fix but I wanted to know if I try to change it will it pour oil everywhere? Or is it above the oil level?

Thanks

• Member Contributer

If you are using the centerstand while working on it you can establish the oil level in the sight glass and extrapolate the oil level to the other side. There will be some residual in the gear shifter housing 

I take it you just changed the oil with some fancy expensive synthetic brand and are not want to waste it. 

I think you can do it without changing the oil if that's what you want to do. In fact on the centerstand and normal oil level you may just get some residual. Remember to put cellophane plastic wrap over the splines on the gear shifter shaft before installing the new seal to protect it from chaffing and damaging it. Honestly you can probably leave the gearshift cover in place and just use some picks to pull the old seal out.

Good luck to you.

So it is possible to repair it without taking anything else apart? Have you done this repair before?

The part number I found is: 91204-KE8-003

I'm not sure if I will need anything else or just that gasket

• Member Contributer

Will look in my shop manual tonight after work. I have a 5th gen and had a 2nd gen as well. Need to make sure we are on the same page .

• Member Contributer

Is it part 21 oil seal? If so it is just a matter of pulling the old one out and pressing new one in. Not sure if there is a c clip securing the seal or not.  I have done them before. Just be careful with installing the new one. Wet it w oil and put some plastic wrap over any parts of the shaft that might tear the new seal. Also make sure you install it in the right orientation. A shop manual is helpful for definitive answers.

Screenshot_2017-11-09-12-57-57.png

I was able to get a better look at it today (sorry for the late reply) and I do believe it is part #21. I could see a small piece of it missing so that might explain the leak. I have some fancy picks that I can use and I will cover the shifter spline as it does look like it could damage the new seal. If I can't pick it out I can just thread in some small screws on each side and pull the old one out. 

I just don't know if it is going to leak oil all over the place

Archived