9 minutes ago, Jonah said:

The complete set:

Side lights:

20171229_135736.thumb.jpg.65ea2ab69d703a647cb2d72723c349a9.jpg

Low beams:

20171229_135751.thumb.jpg.43953fc28a97078bf7b0f381bb4f10c8.jpg

Full beams:

20171229_135803.thumb.jpg.90023a1363dba118dd97f693507022fd.jpg

Have you used a latching relay so the HIDs come on after the bike starts? If not your bulbs will not last very long.  I only found this out after fitting mine last year and wired up the relay to come on once I hit the horn.  See the link below

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, Marooncobra said:

Have you used a latching relay so the HIDs come on after the bike starts? If not your bulbs will not last very long.  I only found this out after fitting mine last year and wired up the relay to come on once I hit the horn.

That's definitely the theory, but I've got factory xenons on one of my cars and it unfailingly blinks the lights off and on again every time the car starts.  Original HID capsules, AFAIK...

Ciao,

@Marooncobra that's a great idea, but I have an older model with a manual switch so I just turn the low beams off until after I've started the bike. I've removed the HIDs as one of the balllasts were defective since i got them, so I'm going to try some H1 LEDs, I've put in some halogens until they arrive.

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, Jonah said:

@Marooncobra that's a great idea, but I have an older model with a manual switch so I just turn the low beams off until after I've started the bike. I've removed the HIDs as one of the balllasts were defective since i got them, so I'm going to try some H1 LEDs, I've put in some halogens until they arrive.

Jonah,

here is the original link to my install with a wiring diagram for the latching relay following RC51Nick advice on a latching relay.

@Marooncobra that's great, thanks. Just thought I'd post up some more pics I took when I took the lights apart (again)

Projector with shroud fitted:

20171228_233506.thumb.jpg.86e801c0ae969b96ff30bb307ba54ec4.jpg

back of both lights with high beams glued and screwed in place:

20171229_090305.thumb.jpg.677274975130263bc63e2150cbfcc8a4.jpg

Front view:

20171229_090225.thumb.jpg.62631ddde0cd29e71e40f7ea23f41753.jpg

Lights attached to fairing and wiring routed:

20171229_130914.thumb.jpg.62c795d7f9f6c4144526ccd8dec0c98f.jpg

I found out with the original setup, if I put the high beams on with both high beam connectors activating the relay, the LED main beams wouldn't stay on if they were connected to the same plugs. So I connected the 2 LED main beams in parallel to one high beam connector, and the 2 high beam projector flap relays to the other connector. Works quite well so far... something else interesting is that the H1 halogen bulbs seem to light up the road a LOT more than the xenons did, the xenon light was a lot brighter and more focused, but a bit TOO focused if that makes sense. I'm waiting for the LEDs to arrive to see how they perform in comparison.

Thanks for posting up more pictures Jonah!

i will let you know from my retrofitting experience you are also going to be disappointed with the LEDs. Consider they have lights that only fire in 3 or 4 directions on the board, it can’t light the road properly. 

Unfortunately you bought HALOGEN Projectors and were told HID could work in them... not so much :(. 

I would recommend ordering a genuine HID projector cheap like the Morimoto H1 Super if you want proper HID. I’m doing test shots tomorrow night to prove how valuable this upgrade is!

• Member Contributer

The HID projector units I fitted in mine were off eBay. No issues with the ballasts and the lights are amazing for distance and light spread across the road. It improves ridability at night and I am actually putting more light out than a standard car with halogen bulbs, mainly as all four lights are on dipped and can be switched to main beam. I went for 4000k bulbs. The cutoffs are also perfect and stop any light hitting on coming traffic. 

Archived