Quickshifter problem

Katie

Hi All

I recently picked up a quickshifter from Ebay, brand new, in the box, yay!

Despite knowing better, I went out this morning and stripped the bike ready for installation. At this point, I found out there were two washers missing from the pack, both for the lever pivot bolt. So, an hour later, I have two other washers that (just about) fit but no wave/spring washer. This means that if I do the bolt up to the requisite Nm, I can't change gear!

Everything else seems to be working ok so will pop over the nearest bike workshop tomorrow and try and get some alternatives so I don't have to keep trying to find the missing gear lever...

Does anyone know the correct dimensions for the two washers?

Anther tricky thing was trying to align the lever on the gear change spline. The clearly indicated marks on the instructions bear no resemblance to what's on the bike or the quickshifter! Still not convinced I've got it exactly right but that bit's not so tough to correct as I can just take off the belly cowl

• Member Contributer

Your two washers will be too thick so taking up any slack that is designed to be there as the shouldered bolt is supposed to butt up against the bracket. Best thing to do would be to remove one for the time being. The wave washer is basically a shim.

42 minutes ago, fink said:

Your two washers will be too thick so taking up any slack that is designed to be there as the shouldered bolt is supposed to butt up against the bracket. Best thing to do would be to remove one for the time being. The wave washer is basically a shim.

Makes sense, cheers Fink. For the purpose of a short journey (less than 10 miles) would you reckon take the external one (the wave washer) away?

• Member Contributer

Yes it will be fine. Off top of my head I think it’s about the same thickness if not thinner than a copper washer used on brake lines.  Can’t check at mo as at work. 

Well, that was interesting! Set off this morning and realised that the lever was set so high I had to lift my whole leg up to change up! Everything was very weird and when I got to the workshop (to get some washers), I found out why. 

The kit I bought was not only missing the two washers but the extension bar between the pedal and the gear arm was too short. I'd fitted it far as it would go but it left the arm almost horizontal (rather than vertical) so changes would always be tough. The guys in the workshop found an alternative, longer, bar and all is sorted. Gear changes are now super smooth and the pedal position is actually better for me than the original!

Annnnnnd the problem has been solved. The reason it wasn't quite right is that it wasn't the right item! It says VFR 800 on the box but the seller didn't know there was a VFR800X so I've just successfully fitted the Crossrunner quickshifter...

Still now we all know it 's the same thing apart from the length of the connecting bar and a couple of washers :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, Katie said:

Well, that was interesting! Set off this morning and realised that the lever was set so high I had to lift my whole leg up to change up! Everything was very weird and when I got to the workshop (to get some washers), I found out why. 

The kit I bought was not only missing the two washers but the extension bar between the pedal and the gear arm was too short. I'd fitted it far as it would go but it left the arm almost horizontal (rather than vertical) so changes would always be tough. The guys in the workshop found an alternative, longer, bar and all is sorted. Gear changes are now super smooth and the pedal position is actually better for me than the original!

Annnnnnd the problem has been solved. The reason it wasn't quite right is that it wasn't the right item! It says VFR 800 on the box but the seller didn't know there was a VRR800X so I've just successfully fitted the Crossrunner quickshifter...

Still now we all know it 's the same thing apart from the length of the connecting bar and a couple of washers :rolleyes:

That's great - I love happy endings :wink:

Archived