6th Gen Delink

Willy

Question

• Member Contributer

Guys, I just re-entered the magnificent world of VFRs with a 2007 6th Gen. It has about 50K miles on it and sorely needs maintenance. I'm going through it end to end. The whole brake system is one priority. I'd like to replace all the hydraulic lines and in the same motion delete the LBS just to simplify future maintenance. Nothing wrong with linked brakes from my view but I think delinking them now while I'm digging into the system is better than replacing with OEM rubber lines and keeping LBS. 

Question is... is there a kit for this? I've done some searching. Not much info on the Gen 6 delink. It looks like the only option is the HEL kit? But I've not found anyone on VFRD who has done this mod on a Gen 6 (which seems strange in itself). I'm upgrading the suspension to the DMR cartridges and not planning a full front end swap. 

Any advice before I dive into this? Hopefully I'm overlooking something obvious.....

Wisdom is much appreciated!

21 answers to this question

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, Willy said:

... and in the same motion delete the LBS just to simplify future maintenance. Nothing wrong with linked brakes from my view but I think delinking them now while I'm digging into the system is better than replacing with OEM rubber lines and keeping LBS. 

You want to de-link them just to make maintenance easier, despite not having anything against them? Seems a bit ott. Maintenance is quite simple, especially if you add a set of speed bleeders. I replaced all the brake lines on my 08 with braided SS ones and it was quite easy despite the fact I'm not very good with spanners.

Wouldn't it be easier just to get a standard replacement set of hoses?

JMHO. Best of luck with the mods. :beer:

• Member Contributer

I like Speed Bleeders too. Had them on the last VFR. Already have them on hand for this bike too. I'll install them whether linked or not. For me the maintenance issue is flushing and bleeding the fluid in the linked system is pain even with the speed bleeders. But yes - just replacing all lines is an option. Just checking to see if others have delinked this gen and if there was a kit that some thought worthy.

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Willy said:

I like Speed Bleeders too. Had them on the last VFR. Already have them on hand for this bike too. I'll install them whether linked or not. For me the maintenance issue is flushing and bleeding the fluid in the linked system is pain even with the speed bleeders. But yes - just replacing all lines is an option. Just checking to see if others have delinked this gen and if there was a kit that some thought worthy.

Fair enough. Each to their own, just don't think it necessary if you have no overall objection to the linked brakes. Keeping them in tip top condition is easy, even linked.

• Member Contributer

Thank you Skidz. I'm not ruling the LBS option out. Cheers!

• Member Contributer

@Willy - If you really want to do a delink - many of use have gone on to different forks and added OEM Honda sportbike calipers. On the 6th gen, the simple way to do that is use F4i Honda forks or just use the F4i lowers mated to the 6th gen uppers. - You can use the stock wheel and rotors, spacers. Then caliper options are 954/RC51/F4i. Keep the stock triples and bars and also use the matching master cylinder for the calipers. Then you can strip out the miles of extra brake lines. For the rear, get a OEM Honda 14mm master cylinder and either do the 2 existing lines to the stock caliper, or, make a short bridge from one caliper port to the other, and double banjo an existing stocker line to the new M/C. As a bonus, its about a 6 lbs weight drop. 

Many of us on this forum have done the deed or used other forks, including myself, and its great to have normal separate brakes. For me and others, this is way better than the LBS system in function and maintenance with straight forward bleeding. (I am not saying the LBS is bad) 

Check my gallery for ideas. 

GL

• Member Contributer

Thanks GL. I'll check out your gallery. May PM you for details if I go that route. I stripped the bike down today and the amount of plumbing between this and Pair and charcoal etc is horrendous, Looking forward to cleaning as much out as I can. Not that I'm going to track frequently but just to clean the bike up and simplify it. Thanks again! Cheers! Ernie

• Member Contributer
19 hours ago, Willy said:

Thanks GL. I'll check out your gallery. May PM you for details if I go that route. I stripped the bike down today and the amount of plumbing between this and Pair and charcoal etc is horrendous, Looking forward to cleaning as much out as I can. Not that I'm going to track frequently but just to clean the bike up and simplify it. Thanks again! Cheers! Ernie

Hi --  lol -- GL is good luck.... I'm mello dude. -- I sell a few bits here and there that may help your clean up. -- 6th gen? - I have R/R mounting plates and pair valve block off plates.. 

• Member Contributer

Thanks Mello Dude for all the suggestions! And now I know what GL means....   I have a set of block off plates and will install this week. Got the bike pretty well torn down now and starting to clean up 50K miles of road grime. I may start a thread on this more general topic as I'm coming up with questions as I go.

On the brake lines I've ruled out the HEL Delink kit as I can't find any definitive installation data before purchasing from the UK. And on forks, I'm going with Jamie's DMR cartridge upgrade. So on brake lines I think that leaves me linked and I'll either inspect and clean the lines I have now or replace all with braided. 

OK - thanks and cheers!

Ernie

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Willy said:

Thanks Mello Dude for all the suggestions! And now I know what GL means....   I have a set of block off plates and will install this week. Got the bike pretty well torn down now and starting to clean up 50K miles of road grime. I may start a thread on this more general topic as I'm coming up with questions as I go.

On the brake lines I've ruled out the HEL Delink kit as I can't find any definitive installation data before purchasing from the UK. And on forks, I'm going with Jamie's DMR cartridge upgrade. So on brake lines I think that leaves me linked and I'll either inspect and clean the lines I have now or replace all with braided. 

OK - thanks and cheers!

Ernie

Hey Ernie - - I'll throw out another thought - for the bucks you would spend on braided brake lines, you could do the conversion to standard brakes if you're an Ebay shopper type. Jamie Daughtry (DMR) is very familiar with this conversion, you could pick his brain if you wanted.  His cartridges will also work in the conversion too.  

Since I have done the deed, I guess I am lobbying a bit. It only took me a week to decide, the LBS is a goner. No screwball work to bleed the brakes and the RC51 calipers I used stop far better for me. 

Since you have a 6th gen 2007 at 50k you should put on your list to check out the charging system. - Stators typically die around 50k if things are normal... This forum is full of info on the charging system when you get there. 

GL

:beer:

• Member Contributer

MD is quite right; you should be able to find a lightly bent set of F4/F4i forks for not much $$, toss in DMr cartridges, toss the bent uppers and use your 6G uppers then all you need is some calipers and a master. My suggestion would be the CBR600RR 03 integrated master, with CBR954 or SP2 calipers. All of these Honda parts will mix and match nicely with no machining needed. The F4/F4i lowers also come with external adjustable compression damping if you wanted that.

IMG_2734.JPG

• Member Contributer

OK - I'm convinced. I really don't like the plumbing on this thing. BUT - I'll say that I'm not a mechanical genius like many of you. Maybe I could talk with one of you guys to clarify what I need to shop for and what new instruction I need to give to Jamie as he is already in progress on the cartridges.

So to confirm; I use my 6gen triples, uppers, and master cylinder, look for some F4/F4I lowers, add cartridges from Jamie, adds calipers from RC51? And then figure out brake lines from there? Will the cartridges I ordered from Jamie for 6gen work with the F4/F4I lowers? Or do I need to contact Jamie to make a change to my order (hopefully not too late). You guys may have too much faith in my mating skills....  :-). But I'm willing to give this a shot as I think you know what you are talking about.....

• Member Contributer

Reading more carefully it looks like I need a master from a CBR 600 and calipers from 954 or SP2. Yikes.... I'll start perusing eBay tonight just to see if I can identify what you guys are referring to.

And yes I'll be inspecting all the electrical. So far all the connecters don't show any heat damage. So just cleaning these for now. I will get the stator and regulator at some point. My cheap bike is getting expensive......I really appreciate all the help. 

I guess good news is I have all winter now to figure this out and get it back on the road. 

Cheers!

• Member Contributer

• Member Contributer

And master and calipers like this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-CBR600-954RR-954-Front-Calipers-Brake-Perch-Master-Cylinder-01-03-02-04/401431024092?hash=item5d772751dc:g:2wQAAOSwh2RZ8n9r&vxp=mtr

Is there an option to use a mater like the one on my 6gen? Its a bit more "elegant" than the plastic reservoirs up top. 

OK - I'll stop for now and see what advice you may have and start sourcing the parts. 

Cheers! And thanks!

Ernie

• Member Contributer

Yep, the master from a 2003/04 CBR600RR.

Right size piston, and looks like the VFR.

Them forks look a bit rough, but will be fine if you're not using the uppers.

The calipers are right on the money.

• Member Contributer

Agree - the fork look a bit rough, but you will be using the lowers. (F4i would be preferred.)  Send a note - today... to Jamie and tell him what you are doing. -- Also grab the calipers, looks like a good deal.  They will be direct bolt on to the forks, no mods. The master looks a littler rough, but you can judge condition when you get it.  -

General notes - your stock clip-ons, triples, wheel and rotors and fasteners will all work. -- Also - take comfort in that oh... dunno mbe SWAG guess but 100ish guys on this forum have done this mod. --- Another piece you need is a rear master - RC51/VTR100 Super Hawk/F4i/CBR600 any of those - 14mm 

We will coach you all the way, no problem...... GL :beer:

• Member Contributer

I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks for all the support.

• Member Contributer

If you are using your uppers (and they will bolt right in), why not buy  bent 600 forks for a lower cost like:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bent-1999-2000-Honda-CBR600-F4-CBR600F4-Front-End-Fork-Leg-Shocks-for-Parts/252915786519?hash=item3ae2f4a317:g:N3wAAOSwrhBZCObb&vxp=mtr

On my 5G, I have 6G triples and bars, 600F4i forks (bought bent, got them straightened), CBR600RR master, 600F4i calipers (but 954 are better), 5G wheel, axle and discs, 600F4i fender. I have the standard 600F4i dampers, with DMr valves and shims. The 600F4i forks already come with full damper adjustability, so getting the DMr cartridges makes less sense apart from the drop-in nature. You will get the SAME result with just DMr valve parts (compression valve, rebound valve, shim stacks for both) which would save some money. 

• Member Contributer

Well my DMR 6gen suspension components are about to be shipped, so I'll forego the front end swap and keep my 6gen brakes for now. I'll clean up and service the whole brake system and use this for the time being. I did order a Delink kit made by HEL. Not a lot of information on this set up. It appears to be used mainly on the Honda Blackbird, but there is a VFR specific kit and I'll evaluate that when it arrives. I have the bike almost entirely disassembled at this point and cleaning, servicing everything while I'm this far into it. Looking forward to begin reassembly. 

I appreciate all the interest and help!

Ernie

Archived