Pilot seat recommendations

SamSam

I can only manage a little more than an hour without getting off with OEM pilot seat.  Any recommendations on an after market alternative or someone to redo the OEM?   

• Member Contributer

Hi and welcome to the forum.  

There have been been a few posts on here regarding alterations, there are the usual manufacturers  Corbin, Sargent.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I just shipped mine off to Sargent for a rebuild. I find the stock foam pretty good, but the cover is slippery (esp with synthetic riding pants) and the slope forward promoted sliding up onto the nose. I end up trashing my legs trying to stay positioned. Sargent will toss the stock cover, add their Atomic Cell foam in places, level, widen and dish the mid section, and cover it with grippy DTX vinyl. They expect it to cost about $300. Right now, they don't make a ready-fit "World Sport" seat for the newer viffers. I'll post when I get it back.

Cheers

pg

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, pgeller said:

I just shipped mine off to Sargent for a rebuild. I find the stock foam pretty good, but the cover is slippery (esp with synthetic riding pants) and the slope forward promoted sliding up onto the nose. I end up trashing my legs trying to stay positioned. Sargent will toss the stock cover, add their Atomic Cell foam in places, level, widen and dish the mid section, and cover it with grippy DTX vinyl. They expect it to cost about $300. Right now, they don't make a ready-fit "World Sport" seat for the newer viffers. I'll post when I get it back.

Cheers

pg

I just sent mine to them as well, adding heat to the front. They're running 15% off custom seats in November.

• Member Contributer
On 11/23/2017 at 12:28 AM, Stan said:

I have installed Luimotor seat cover for six months now. IMO, it is pretty comfortable and stylish.

https://www.luimoto.com/?p=489  

WeChat Image_20171123162016.jpg

That looks very comfy!  How much does it add to the seat height?  Is that stripe silver or white?  Any more pics?  Did you get the rear seat cover as well?  Here's another pic from their website that shows the rear - the front looks a bit different from yours without the stripe.

490-3-1789-l.jpg

• Member Contributer
On 11/26/2017 at 5:08 PM, Stan said:

The stripe is silver. I didn't get the rear cover, as I don't use it a lot. You can ask them to insert extra gel to make your seat higher, otherwise it is the same as the OEM.

WeChat Image_20171127083733.jpg

WeChat Image_20171127083752.jpg

WeChat Image_20171127083830.jpg

WeChat Image_20171127083803.jpg

WeChat Image_20171127083815.jpg

WeChat Image_20171127083851.jpg

Wow that looks great - might be the best looking black VFR I've ever seen - too bad we never got them in the USA!

• Member Contributer

I used to have a Moto Rumi 125 twin 2 stroke, fragile but beautiful bike

That had a suede seat as standard, yes Fink, wet arse for days after a brief shower

moto_rumi.jpg

This isn't going to change your seat, but it will cost you nothing. Set the rear of the OEM pilot seat on the lowest setting and the front of the seat on the high setting. Flattens the riding position. Kept me from sliding forward into the tank and made the ride more comfortable. Not the same as changing the seat, but it might help.

Thumbs, it might be in England. My seat dries out in less than 30 minutes after a brief shower. The weather is really dry in Sydney. We have water restrictions and are banned to wash motorbikes and cars in summer.

• Member Contributer

Somewhat related to a new seat,  but getting off the bike every hour is a healthy thing to do.  It helps everything by moving around a few minutes and keeps the mind sharp which is definitely needed to survive motorcycle riding.  I never had a issue with the OEM seat but we're all different.  

On 11/28/2017 at 9:01 PM, Stan said:

Thumbs, it might be in England. My seat dries out in less than 30 minutes after a brief shower. The weather is really dry in Sydney. We have water restrictions and are banned to wash motorbikes and cars in summer.

My dream bike cleaning routine :wink:

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
On 11/22/2017 at 2:41 PM, lazyeye said:

I'm quite interested in how it turns out. My local seatbuilder is good but super expensive.

Three weeks and $182 and the results are great. Sargent flattened/levelled out the main part of the seat, added foam to widen the butt area and made a dandy new cover with their DTX fabric and red trim. No more sliding onto my cahones, very comfy.

IMG_1434 1.JPG

Archived