6th vs 8th Header mockup pictures

Voided76

The frontend pipes don't look like they're at differing angles really at all.  I get the feeling this "new" 8th gen header isn't different enough to keep a 5th or 6th off the bike if need be.......

DISCUSS!

8th gen header.jpg

6th gen header.jpg

well it is the "same basic engine" since 2002 in the 8th gen. only real things that could keep a different gen's headers are maybe the surrounding layout

I think the front two are bow legged like that though to improve air through that bottom rad....  not merely really as a space issue.  
Possibly?

But if that was the case why would they put an ENORMOUS big ass plastic duct that isn't even very breathable in the way of it?
:unsure::unsure:

Image2.jpg

• Member Contributer
40 minutes ago, Voided76 said:

I think the front two are bow legged like that though to improve air through that bottom rad....  not merely really as a space issue.  
Possibly?

But if that was the case why would they put an ENORMOUS big ass plastic duct that isn't even very breathable in the way of it?
:unsure::unsure:

Image2.jpg

Maybe to protect the radiator from debris thrown thrown up by the front wheel???

Then again I could be totally wrong. ??

the 8th gen seems to have moved the front headers to make room for the lower rad.

If they didn't move the headers, their wouldn't be enough room for the lower rad.

• Member Contributer
20 minutes ago, RVFR said:

This ^   I looked into this and there's a different bend to em making room for the lower radiator.

Good to know, thanks! I've been wondering the same. 

I know this is crazy,  but it might be time to appeal to Delkevic.
as their header will fit a 2014-18 VFR with changes to the front pipes only.
I'm gonna try re-pitching the 36mm ID primaries to them.  I had their product development guy considering the whole option 3 years ago to anyone who wants to see the email chain between us.
36mm primaries into delkevics 4-1 collector to exhaust tapered deal would still yield considerable gains vs any other non RVFR custom built stepped race header :)
and I'm guessing would be only a few bucks more in materials than the header they're currently pushing out.

Just an FYI..  During the header build and testing, I found that one can't really use the oem copper donuts on 36mm primary's, those copper donuts are made for the wide shoulder there on the stock header flange.  so what ever you do there on the hook up to the head,  be fore warned. it's a tricky bugger,  don't ask how I know.  

I had mine apart last week to do the oil service, the exhaust is also shaped that way to get the old oil filter out... There's naff all room for it to come out from the front in the same way as the old Vtec, so that exhaust has clearly had a lot of thought put into it, to clear the rad and allow space to get the filter out. And back in obviously. So I'd suggest any "mod" would probably need to follow the same basic dimensions?

If you take both sides of the fairing off, it's much easier, but as it is you only need to drop the Gear change side off to get to the filter. Also fited my quick shifter at the same time so it made sense to give it another mid "oil change service interval"  oil change...

This was,  respectfully sent to me from Paul Dyer at Delkevic Exhaust.....

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your email of a few days ago and sorry for the delay in responding to you.

For a number of years now, we have considered further dev work for the Honda VFR800, especially when you consider the size of the market and how successful our current exhaust have been.

However,  we have so many projects going through R and D at any one time, it is very difficult to allocate a very expensive recourse to an already very successful product for an unknow commercial result. In terms of engineering dynamics, I would agree that there is more power to be had from the VFR and increased exhaust volume could certainly assist in that area.

The idea of a “race” inspired exhaust certainly isn’t dead in the water, but equally isn’t super high on the agenda. Never say never!

As for the later generation of VFR800 pipes, we have that covered with  number of projects now:

• PR2873 VFR800F 2014 Front downpipes.
  • PR2872 VFR800 2011-2017 COLLECTOR AND REAR DOWNPIPES

These were signed off Mid August 2017 and should be commercially available very, very soon.

I very much appreciate your comments and you never know what may happen in the not too distant future!

All the best

Paul

Archived