Wheel Speed Sensors

BiKenG

The VFR1200F uses Hall Effect sensors with 2 wires. The ABS ECU powers these AND reads the signal back over just those 2 wires. Clever stuff although not unique to Honda.

Also not unique, the VFRs sensors are in the middle of a small mounting plate, with screw holes either side (the sensor is actually offset slightly from the centreline of these screws). I know for example the Kawasaki ZZR1400 also uses the same type sensor and mounting plate - they are interchangeable.

However, many other bikes use a sensor with a mounting just on one side. So just one mounting screw hole, to one side of the actual sensor body. I've not looked into this, but I'm sure there are at least some like this that are also 2 wire Hall Effect type sensors. Can you see where I'm going with this?

Does anyone know of any 2 wire Hall Effect WSS with the single mount hole on the side and that would work if connected onto a VFR1200F?

The reason I'm asking, is because I want to use forks with no current sensor mount and modifying the forks to mount a sensor would be easier with the single side mount type. So anyone know of anything suitable?

26 minutes ago, Ridem32 said:

What kind of forks you going to use?

Hayabusa. Ghostrider put me on to these with the 50/55 yoke sizes and a suitable length for my next VFR1200 project. But no WSS mount so I'll need to machine the forks to suit.

28 minutes ago, Ghostrider1127 said:

Few yamahas  are using what you search 

Yes, the one on the picture is what I want to use. But are they 3 wire Hall Effect?

Actually the one pictured would need to be on the LHS or the cable would be in the way. I'd prefer to keep the WSS on the RHS if possible. Not crucial, but would prefer it. Depends on what will match the VFR's electronics I guess.

I've just had a thought. To avoid having to find a side mount WSS suitable for the VFR, I could actually just use an original VFR WSS and cut off one side of the mount plate. I'm sure it would still be strong enough to hold the WSS in place and then I KNOW it would work with the VFR's ABS ECU.

That's probably the simplest solution.

18 minutes ago, crakerjac said:

I thought the 1200 used optical transistors since the speedo ring had evenly spaced slots.

No, I don't think any bike would use optical. Too prone to getting fouled. I may be wrong about that, but the VFR1200's are definitely Hall Effect.

• Member Contributer

Could be Hall, Inductive or Optical, but most likely its inductive, which I believe is the more common nowadays.  

http://www.cvel.clemson.edu/auto/sensors/wheel-speed.html

1 hour ago, zupatun said:

Could be Hall, Inductive or Optical, but most likely its inductive, which I believe is the more common nowadays.  

http://www.cvel.clemson.edu/auto/sensors/wheel-speed.html

Well yes, either is 'possible', but from my research a couple of years ago, I was able to determine they are actually Hall Effect sensors. The ABS ECU is required to 'drive' them and also detect some sort of frequency - all over just 2 wires. So this 'signal' has to be extracted from the same 2 wires used to power them. This is done by the ABS ECU that uses this information for its own purposes and then passes a simple speed signal to the main ECU that is used for the speedometer (from the rear signal) and Traction Control which of course uses both. The main ECU has nothing to do with ABS.

I wish the WSSs were simpler reluctance devices so their signal could be used directly by the main ECU, but this is unfortunately not the case. So when removing the ABS, I had to leave the ABS ECU connected (no hydraulics) just to deal with the WSSs as designing my own circuitry to do that was more complicated than just using the original ABS ECU to do that job.

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, BiKenG said:

I've just had a thought. To avoid having to find a side mount WSS suitable for the VFR, I could actually just use an original VFR WSS and cut off one side of the mount plate. I'm sure it would still be strong enough to hold the WSS in place and then I KNOW it would work with the VFR's ABS ECU.

That's probably the simplest solution.

actually on my Cb1000r i did the same :happy: using a part of this cb1300 front abs sensor bracket plus a piece of caliper bracket an NC 750

Also  have another few used  , in case you will need them ( as a present )

51PkMoRnODL.jpg

p.s. Hall effect sensor  ;)

That's very kind of you and probably yes please. Did you use the actual bracket or just this cable guide?

Archived