Thermostat issue?

On 12/1/2017 at 7:18 PM, JZH said:

OEM hoses for older models are already NLA.  Sillycone makes more sense then (though the Chinese sets for the NC30 seem to be cheaper than OEM would be anyway).

Ciao,

Out of interest (not bothering with them)...are these a bolt on jobby?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Before I did the tstat,( and what started this whole thing for me), was taking it into work one 41 deg F  morning ..  My ride to work is 18 rural miles (no stopping) and the needle never climbed out of the wide bottom white zone. Never made it into the temp bracket at all.  That concerns me because that is an engine  unable to warm up...not good.

We are in the low 70's for the next few days but late in the week I should see a 40ish morning, be a good test.

Oh yeah, the hoses?  The silicone Samco hoses are a precise fit and a glossy exterior finish. Real nice stuff but about 200 for a full set, but it is all the hoses, even the little ones that go to the bottom of the thermostat housing.

7 hours ago, bykemike said:

Before I did the tstat,( and what started this whole thing for me), was taking it into work one 41 deg F  morning ..  My ride to work is 18 rural miles (no stopping) and the needle never climbed out of the wide bottom white zone. Never made it into the temp bracket at all.  That concerns me because that is an engine  unable to warm up...not good.

We are in the low 70's for the next few days but late in the week I should see a 40ish morning, be a good test.

You should see about the same coolant temp, it will just take a bit longer to get there. I would do a similar test but I'm done for the year, already had snow so the roads around me are covered in lots of sand. Only way my bikes are moving will be in a trailer.

• Member Contributer
15 hours ago, 750 said:

Out of interest (not bothering with them)...are these a bolt on jobby?

It's a good question!  But I haven't fit them to my bike.

Ciao,

On 12/4/2017 at 11:24 PM, bykemike said:

Oh yeah, the hoses?  The silicone Samco hoses are a precise fit and a glossy exterior finish. Real nice stuff but about 200 for a full set, but it is all the hoses, even the little ones that go to the bottom of the thermostat housing.

Ah OK, I've clearly misunderstood the nature of the original post. I thought you were in the general garden variety "not half way" camp. It's those guys that have the biggest amount of posts about this...and also the ones who have the least to worry about. 

On the topic of hoses, I'd only purchase those if I were to convert my bike to a naked, seems like a lot to lay out for some tubes.

Archived