2003 VFR, No FI light, No engine turnover, won't start

VFRDrweblord

So my bike had been running just fine.  Went out for a ride and now I have this problem...

Put a brand new battery in the bike, checked all fuses, everything looks clean and fine.  The problem I am having is the FI light does not come one, fuel pump not priming, and the engine won't crank at all.  Any ideas on where I should start, or the usual culprits?

Thank you for your help, I appreciate it!

• Member Contributer

Is the main engine stop on your throttle cluster switched to on? Has the new battery got a charge? Get a multi meter and check its voltage. If good check, then check the battery connections as some batteries look identical but the terminals are switched over. Check there is no protective plastic covering the new terminals that you should have removed prior to installation. If all good from there, then start checking the fuses.

I had this same exact problem but I may not be much help. I took a look and rearranged the wiring around the battery and noticed the dash came back on so turned key and fuel pump did  its thing and then started the bike. Been perfect ever sense. I don't know what or where wasn't making contact but works now don't know what to say.  

Plenty of power from the new battery.  All dash lights come on and function normally, no FI light at all.  No engine turnover.  No prime on the fuel pump.  Was running great beforehand and this is a well maintained garage kept bike.  All fuses fine.

30Amp fuse at the starter solenoid looks great, it has never been an issue.

All the wiring and fuses look fine.  I'm wondering if I should take apart the kill switch and clean or replace, or if the kick stand switch is the problem.  

Like I said, new battery, plenty of power, lights are all very bright.  No fuel pump prime, or engine cranking.

The bike was running great and always started right up.

• 4 weeks later...

Nope, I have some sort of electrical boogey man going on.  Went through, cleaned all connections and tested them with a multi meter and everything looks good.  Now it starts intermittently, so I'm thinking maybe it is the kill switch itself?  I haven't replaced that yet and really have not had the time to keep playing with it.

Thank you for posting an update.

I had a similar issue also of it starting intermittently, so FWIW, after cleaning up the kill switch assembly as a first try, I never had any issues with it since. Maybe that will help you.

My issue sounds the same as you had, but my moto will not start intermittently at all.

As soon as the battery is connected the 30 amp fuse is blown. If I connect the battery then attempt to insert a new 30 amp fuse, the fuse blows in my fingers immediately upon contact.

The battery is providing power to the motorcycle and has tested fine, and upon depressing the starter switch it sounds like it will start, but with no fuel prime the Moto will not fully start.

Our 5th & 6th gens are approaching that tipping point, some have gone over that point, wherein minor gremlins that can hobble the bike begin to emerge.  Thank goodness for our community of experience.  Eliminate the most likely culprits of the issue first, then move on from there.  And be patient and diligent.  Usually, someone on the internet mentions something that worked for them and there's a good chance it might work on your bike.  I'd say a good 50/50 chance what fixed their bike will fix yours.

• Member Contributer
On 30 October 2017 at 5:03 AM, VFRDrweblord said:

So my bike had been running just fine.  Went out for a ride and now I have this problem...

Put a brand new battery in the bike, checked all fuses, everything looks clean and fine.  The problem I am having is the FI light does not come one, fuel pump not priming, and the engine won't crank at all.  Any ideas on where I should start, or the usual culprits?

Thank you for your help, I appreciate it!

Hi VFRD........

Given everything you've checked, and assuming your Kill Switch and Engine Stop Relay are O.K. You seem to have the classic symptoms of a Faulty Bank Angle Sensor.

The BAS provides a ground for the Fuel Cut and Engine Stop Relays to energise them, BOTH of these Relays must be energised for normal operation. Also the Engine Stop Relay provides the major power source to the ECM which might explain the absence of the FI Light on power up.

To isolate the BAS you could simply unplug the 3P connector and jumper the Green to R/Y wires effectively bypassing the BAS.  (See the attached Drawing and the comments in Red I've added regards the BAS)

If the engine fires up normally after bypassing the BAS, you've confirmed a faulty Bank Angle Sensor.

A WARNING, not advisable to leave the BAS in a bypassed state, the BAS provides an important role in killing the Engine and Fuel Pump in the event of an accident.

Also you mentioned your side stand switch. This will effect your starter,  BUT it has no influence on your Fuel Pump not priming issue, so think you can disregard the Side Stand Switch.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Grum. 

VFR_Circuit001.thumb.jpg.49bd28d97c112d7235d582769adff13d.jpg

Archived